TVAL training not done in Green OH anymore?

CCDriver

Active Expediter
While sitting in Ontario Ca had a couple drivers state TVAL wasn't being done in Green Oh any longer. Seems it's now done online and at a cost of $135.00. Has anyone else heard or had experiance with this?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
There is a required course, done online, for about that amount of money.

As of now, T-Val testing( of the equipment) is done at Green. There is talk of having it done at outside vendors in the future.

I don't like this. I don't understand why they would give up control of this important function.

It will be a benefit to not drive to Green for the trucker.
I feel the semi-annual trip is important. The quality of the testing should not be turned over to other people.

Then what do I know ?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The TVAL testing at Green was only done ever 18 months. The, once what was semi-annual testing could be done at any FDCC authorized vendor. Now that testing is only done annually.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I know a guy that was scheduled to test in Green 12/11.
He didn't get to Green and is rescheduled later this month.
Maybe he will post.

I haven't heard that vendor testing is available yet. I did hear it was being discussed.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I know a guy that was scheduled to test in Green 12/11.
He didn't get to Green and is rescheduled later this month.
Maybe he will post.

I haven't heard that vendor testing is available yet. I did hear it was being discussed.

I assume you are speaking of the thermal mapping of the box that is done every 18 months?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The TVAL testing at Green was only done ever 18 months. The, once what was semi-annual testing could be done at any FDCC authorized vendor. Now that testing is only done annually.

It's agreed that the testing WAS done every 18 months.

Your second statement, about what could be done at a vendor; is this a fact or an opinion?

What is now being done annually ?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's agreed that the testing WAS done every 18 months.

Your second statement, about what could be done at a vendor; is this a fact or an opinion?

What is now being done annually ?

I think we are talking about two different things at the same time.

The calibration of the probes, is done at vendors. It is now done annually. At one time it was done every 6 months.

The thermal mapping is now done at Green, every 18 months. I have not heard if that is changing in any way.

I hope we may be on the same page now. LOL!!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The online course, required, was talked about in the fleet bulletin about 2 months ago.

The thermal mapping is still being done in Green. I believe they want to turn this over to a vendor. Every 18 months.

The test of the probes is NIST Testing.
This is done at Vendors. Last year there were only 2 or 3 with the equipment to do it west of the Mississippi.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The online course, required, was talked about in the fleet bulletin about 2 months ago.

The thermal mapping is still being done in Green. I believe they want to turn this over to a vendor. Every 18 months.

The test of the probes is NIST Testing.
This is done at Vendors. Last year there were only 2 or 3 with the equipment to do it west of the Mississippi.

I remember the fleet bulletin, I have most them in a file if needed. I had not heard they were planning to turn it over to a vendor.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Newsletter on 10/18/13

GDP Online Certification for TVAL Contractor Qualification
Once the GDP Online Certification is available, it will replace the current TVAL contractor training required every 18 months. For existing TVAL contractors, please use your TVAL contractor training expiration date to determine when you will need to schedule the GDP Online Certification.

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
Will be in Green this Wednesday for the thermal mapping, will inquire if this is to be handled by vendors in the future. Any other questions to be asked ?

GandJ

Active Expediter
While sitting in Ontario Ca had a couple drivers state TVAL wasn't being done in Green Oh any longer. Seems it's now done online and at a cost of $135.00. Has anyone else heard or had experiance with this?

Mrs and I took the online GDP training. High speed internet connection two laptops and it worked great. Very professional. Our class had 11 people taking the training. The sign up and communication through the process was great.

This was the first group online training class for the both of us. It was very different then attending a traditional classroom but it worked great. I can see the benefit to not having to trec to Green and taking it online.

The trainer, Lisa, was very personable and made everyone feel included. All questions were answered and test scores were graded quickly.

Followup after the class was excellent and an opportunity to give feedback was given.

CCDriver

Active Expediter
Well to me I've already jumped through many hoops for the TVAL dept. I've made them oodles of tapes over and over as my co drivers changed up a few times before getting my wife into Fed Ex Custom Critical.

When they say they will get back to you either by phone or email it never seems to happen.

You are supposed to know how to use the system of the unit and ameriscan recorder before ever going through TVAL training. So what exactly are you learning with the training?

Now you have to pay get it, I'll say no thank you to that call me when you feel you need some TVAL drivers in the fleet.

Maybe by then they will be offering more then the $1.10 per mile it seems is the norm for TVAL loads.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Learned today that I misunderstood the T-Val testing issue..
When we took our Carrier in to do the 18 month thermal mapping we were told Fedex was looking at giving "the testing" to a vendor or vendors.

I took testing to mean the thermal mapping.

I learned today that the thermal mapping will probably stay in house, as I believe it should.

The classroom part is farmed out. This is great. I don't have to go to Green for the classroom.

So, while I'm sitting in Green, doing the thermal mapping, I can spend $300 for the team to do the online course that I don't have to go to Green for.

That's REAL progress. :(

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Question to the LEA T-Valer(s).

Who does your thermal mapping ?
How often ?
Who pays, and how much ?

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I'm wondering how many of those LEA T-Val folks will respond, you know, this being the FedEx forum and all....

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Some of them read it more than us Fedex guys do.

You did catch me, I didn't really pay attention to what forum I was in.