Enforcement of New HOS Rules "Convoluted"

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Check out this Overdrive article:

Severity weights, out-of-service protocol for new hours rules

Violating the 30 minute break rule gets you 7 CSA points (a high number in the CSA scale). With the multiplier, the 7 points become 21 for the first year they are on your record. DOT seems to be viewing the failure to take a 30 minute break as a serious (7 point) violation. That is in addition to fines of up to $7,250 for the driver and $11,000 for the carrier.

All that because you did not take a 30 minute break, or even worse, because you took the break but made a paperwork error in documenting it?

The convoluted part is about the various ways states are dealing with drivers who are found in violation. They won't be put out of service on the record, but, depending on the state, they may or may not be detained for 30 minutes.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Let's see, questionable regulations, out of wack point weighting, convoluted enforcement. Sounds like a government operation to me. Add to that an entire system, CSA, that is based on demerits, rather than merits, to improve safety. Makes sense to me! :rolleyes: Government at work!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The convoluted part is about the various ways states are dealing with drivers who are found in violation. They won't be put out of service on the record, but, depending on the state, they may or may not be detained for 30 minutes.

How can you log a 30 minute break when you are detained by the DOT as part of your job? I'm still confused as to how the FMCSA figures the livestock haulers, you know the guys that constantly cheat on their logbooks, speed, tailgate, and run over weight are going to achieve the same safety level or better by not having to follow the new break regulation.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How can you log a 30 minute break when you are detained by the DOT as part of your job?

About the same way you can LEGALLY log a 30 minute break, while providing 24/7 security, while your co-driver is asleep. The break is logged OFF DUTY and ALL guarded time is logged as ON DUTY. How is THAT possible? WINK! WINK!

Is it just me or are all these regulations becoming more irrelevant with each passing day?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
one more time....No one cares about Fedex and their customers and that silly stay awake RULE ......gee whiz....

paullud

Veteran Expediter
one more time....No one cares about Fedex and their customers and that silly stay awake RULE ......gee whiz....

I'm guessing some of the drivers that are encouraged to violate the regulation may care.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

What is shows is that, as always, the government is totally out of touch with reality. How one government agency is unaware of regulations in place by another government agency. How FMSCA is more interested in fines and enforcement that improving safety by positive means. It also shows how few people understand the needs and requirements of many types of freight, even if they are sprinter drivers.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
dot will not detain livestock haulers because the have to deal with the animals then

paullud

Veteran Expediter
dot will not detain livestock haulers because the have to deal with the animals then

I understand why there is a waiver during the summer but the FMCSA is claiming that not taking the mandatory rest break is the same or better than taking the break. How can it be the same or better if they determined the break was needed for safety and to save lives?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
What is shows is that, as always, the government is totally out of touch with reality.

It is not true that the government is totally out of touch with reality. The firefighters still come when the alarm goes off. The roads get repaved. Solders get trained and perform well in battle. A pound weighs a pound and a gallon is a gallon because of government regulations.

That said, there is much about government that is convoluted and the HOS regulations are on the list. So that being the case, what do you do? Is it enough to tell everyone who will listen that the government is out of touch with reality, or is there an approach that changes things for the better, or at least makes things better for you?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is not true that the government is totally out of touch with reality. The firefighters still come when the alarm goes off. The roads get repaved. Solders get trained and perform well in battle. A pound weighs a pound and a gallon is a gallon because of government regulations.

That said, there is much about government that is convoluted and the HOS regulations are on the list. So that being the case, what do you do? Is it enough to tell everyone who will listen that the government is out of touch with reality, or is there an approach that changes things for the better, or at least makes things better for you?

Most firefighters we see are not part of the federal government. The condition of the roads only proves my point. Soldiers are trained well and COULD perform well if allowed. Today our government sends them into battle not allowed to fight as trained getting them killed for no reason. They are not even allowed to return fire when fired upon. The "Rules of Engagement" are written by the same government. The same administration.

Right now there is little I can do. I have written my leftist senators, not heard a word from them. I have written my congressman, not heard a word. No point in writing the DOT or FMSCA, we KNOW they don't care.

I have no viable options at this time. I will deal with it the best I can.

I work because I have too. Just as I have done in the past, I will do what I have to do to pay the bills. It is what it is.

Maybe someday things will change. I may get a chance to do what I want to do. Not likely, but you never know. Till then, I work, do the best job I can.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
lets stage a nation wide go home and sit four day's and not hall any freight until they changes the
rules so they make sents

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Joe,

It may remain beyond your power to influence government, and the chance to do what you want to do may never come. Yet you work and you do the best job you can. You work and you do the best job you can.

Your words brought to mind an audio series that I sometimes enjoy listening to. It is entitled "The High Calling of Our Daily Work." (Samples here).

My mood lifts every time I hear those words, "the high calling of our daily work."

Truckers do not enjoy the high social status that other professionals do. The work we do requires little education. It is not especially unique. Millions of people are out there moving stuff around in one form or another. Like most people on earth, truckers work because they need to make ends meet. As you said, it is what it is.

But when you work, you do the best job you can. Nothing requires you to do that but you do it anyway. You do the best job you can. You are an example of one who hears and understands the high calling of your daily work.

You're different than people who can work but do not. You work and do the best job you can. Great joy can be found in doing a job well. It feels good not only to work but to do the job well. Your words brought that back to mind, making tomorrow's pick up something more than a routine event.

Thank you, Joe, for the reminder and the inspirational words you shared; "I work, do the best job that I can."

Last edited: