Any body know how to open 2010 sprinter hood......

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
.....when the release cable is broken up near hood latch...

..I can't get my hood to open due to broken cable...any one know the work around..

Thanks for any help

Hobo...

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
I know there is a thread on sprinter source forum on how to open it and tighten the cable.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just looked at mine sorry to say I got nothing. I think I would be calling a service center and asking for advice.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Well if Murraycroexp's idea is a no go you might be able to go through the grill. I am not familiar with Sprinters but I had the same thing happen to my car when I was a broke student. I could see the hood latch through the grill opening and I pulled the cable out as far as I could and cut it. Then I just stripped the black plastic off and I was able to pull the cable by hand.

FYI: For a nice sporty look just completely remove the latch and install hood pins.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Forgive my Mercedes disdain but, if the design thinking follows, only a Mercedes dealer will have the tool, it will take 15 minutes to fix, and cost you $1,300 or so...:mad:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had it happen on my '05 Sprinter. The "fix" is ugly as home-made sin but it works.

You have to cut a hole in the grill, left of the center and near the top of the grill, to admit your hand and a pair of Channel-lock pliers. Reach your hand up in there and feel the latch, there are a couple of extensions that you'll feel. One is the anchor point for the cable housing-- it doesn't move--, the other is the movable part of the latch. Put your Channel Lock on this so it bridges these two points, then squeeze. The hood will open.

After that, you have a choice to make. Either buy a new cable and a new grill, or-- leave it be, and just get used to the new way of opening your hood.

Note: I learned of this when I had a broken cable by looking at a Sprinter parked next to mine at the warehouse I was working at one morning. He was doing something like checking his oil or something, so I took a real good look at the latch mechanism and saw exactly how it worked and what it was like underneath where you have to reach up with the tool. If you can find a similar model year Sprinter- it doesn't have to be exactly the same year, these things don't change much from year to year--it pays to have a look, get a "feel" for exactly what you're reaching for, and have a go at it. In any case, the job will have to be done through the grill, and since the grill could only be removed after you had the hood open you'll just have to cut a hole in it.

I hit the jackpot here-- it shows what you're reaching for. Look at the picture below. On the left side of the latch, where the cable connects, see the two extensions. One is the fixed point the cable housing mounts to, the other is the moving part the cable core connects to. You'll have to feel for it from underneath, but-- that's what you're looking for.

2011-12-12_205312_hoodlatch.gif

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not telling any secrets. OVM will tell you that fixing a Sprinter outside of the Mercedes racket will save zillions....

I just bought some stuff from Euro parts for about $300...about $1,500 at the dealers!!! Sprinter ownership takes some thinking and planning...
These F/F's cost about 60-70 EACH at a dealer...
http://europarts-sd.com/fuelfilter-diesel10pack2004-2009.asp

You guys with the newer models..07 to 2013's would do good to look at this deal....

http://europarts-sd.com/serpentinebeltkit1992-1995-1-2.asp

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Could someone be proactive and put a back-up pull cord on prior cable breaking ?
Does present cable need lubing to prolong it's life ?

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Could someone be proactive and put a back-up pull cord on prior cable breaking ?

Lubing couldn't hurt it, might help. As far as being proactive-- replacing the cable before it breaks is a good plan. Another idea, not sure if you can make it work, I'm just running an idea here: Try mounting a lever that can be reached in the event of the cable breaking. It should be easy if you're halfway inventive, and since you would do this before the cable breaks you have the advantage of not having to cut ugly holes in the grill. Once the cable breaks-- you're stuck. You either cut a hole in the grill so you can reach in with Channel-Locks, or you have to get underneath the vehicle and reach way up, probably beyond your normal reach, with some tool that can trigger the latch-- which you won't be able to see clearly from that angle. Note that you won't be able to see the latch through the grill either-- I had to go by feel when it happened to me, the advantage I had then was that I saw the latch on my friend's van and got to know how it worked.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter

YES! Never ever pull on the release handle HARD. At the first sign of trouble, have a friend or passerby push down on the hood to release the spring pressure. It should pop open 5X more easily. Then WD the latch & cable nicely. Ours has gotten stiff, but always comes back to life with a little WD TLC!!!

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
Hood is finally open!!!!!!!!

Fix was 13mm open end wrench....Slide wrench between hood and grill and unscrew lock pin that drops into latch....

Takes a little time and patience but no damage to truck...

Thanks to all for their suggestions!!

Hobo

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use Castle Endura on all my hinges, rollers, and latches. It has teflon in it, sprays on thin, creeps into the crevaces, thickens up and stays put. It costs betwene 6 and 10 bucks a can but its worth every penny. Cheaper than the hurst tool idea, but not as much fun.

Bob Wolf