Quick question...Anyone? Anyone?

guido4475

Not a Member
I have a quick question. If a tub is "a wide, open, deep, typically round container with a flat bottom used for holding liquids, growing plants, etc.," why are people referring to wheel wells as wheel tubs when the wheel wells don't resemble a tub in any way?

Is it kewl to do, or something? I don't want to miss out on kewl.

Good question! I was wondering the same thing myself, as never hearing "wheel wells" referred to as "tubs", unless expanded, to make room for larger tires, then giving the phrase "Tubbed wheel wells"

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I modified an old wash tub to wash my dog in. Oh, wait, never mind.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I heard the term from hot-rodding,when people had to put larger-than-stock covers over their larger than stock tires. Cutting out the old wheel wells and then welding wash-tubs in their place got the job done. Since then, I've heard the term "tubs" used to refer to the standard wells our vans come equipped with.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Live and learn. This thread is the very first time I've ever heard a wheel well referred to as a wheel tub.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Re: tubs...same here, I've spent a fair bit of time around motor heads and hot rodders but the term is new to me too.

Yep, this place is a veritable warehouse of otherwise useless information. Pretty cool.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Bonnet I've heard before, but not tub, 'til today, or that it comes from actual washtubs being used for hot rods

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If a vehicle has a "tub", does it also have a "bonnet"?

In the UK it does. The bonnet* covers the engine compartment. The boot is where you store your spare tyre, tools and the occasional defunct mobster.

*"Bonnet= "hood", and "boot"="trunk".