Mitt Romney defends foreign policy as polls slip

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
BBC

Mitt Romney has defended his criticism of President Barack Obama's foreign policy, as new US polls suggest the president is ahead with voters.

In an interview with ABC News, Mr Romney described as "inappropriate" a US embassy response to an anti-Islam film which sparked protests.

The Republican candidate added he would like to bring Egypt "closer" to the US.

Polls released a week after the end of the US party conventions show Mr Obama leading nationally and in swing states.

A survey of likely voters shows Mr Obama leading the contest by 3% nationally.

The New York Times/CBS poll also suggested Mr Obama had a strong lead among women, but was less popular with those describing themselves as independents.

A separate poll focussing on swing states seen as crucial to Mr Romney's election chances suggests Mr Obama is holding slight leads in Florida, Virginia and Ohio.

Foreign policy criticism

Mr Romney has been criticised by pundits and Democrats for attacking the Obama administration before the situation in Egypt and Libya became clear. His actions were also questioned by conservatives and Republicans.

In a statement issued late on Tuesday, he said the administration appeared to "sympathise with those who waged the attacks".

He was referring to a statement issued by the US embassy in Cairo before protesters there breached the compound - and before it was known Ambassador J Christopher Stevens had been killed in an attack in Libya.

Mr Romney stood by his criticism of the administration as events unfolded on Wednesday, despite a lack of firm support from his Republican party.

In his ABC interview on Friday, Mr Romney said Egypt's relationship with the US was in flux.

"We recognise that Egypt has gone through a dramatic change in government. And what their status will be going forward in terms of the relationship with our nation is something which I'm sure will be developing over time.

"That being said, I would like to bring Egypt closer to us. I think it's important for them to understand that it's an advantage to have a close relationship with the United States, to be an ally of the United States

more
BBC News - Mitt Romney defends foreign policy as polls slip

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
I get the feeling Mitt Romney would allow US Marines to carry live ammo and defend US embassies and personnel. If we aren't going to protect our government officials abroad, then shut down the embassies and consulates in countries where radical Muslims have a history of violence towards Americans.

We have a moral obligation to defend our nation's representatives abroad. How can we ask them to live and work in the face of such barbarity without guaranteeing their safety?

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Nothing wrong with what Romney has said regarding his foreign policy so far.

Not everyone seems in agreement though ....

"Mr Romney stood by his criticism of the administration as events unfolded on Wednesday, despite a lack of firm support from his Republican party"

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I get the feeling Mitt Romney would allow US Marines to carry live ammo and defend US embassies and personnel. If we aren't going to protect our government officials abroad, then shut down the embassies and consulates in countries where radical Muslims have a history of violence towards Americans.

We have a moral obligation to defend our nation's representatives abroad. How can we ask them to live and work in the face of such barbarity without guaranteeing their safety?

The inability of our forces to not be able to carrier live ammo and be able to protect our property and personel goes right to the weakness of the left and this admin in their efforts to appease the muslims where we have embassies and also goes to the stupid TOE that we put on our fighting men and woman....the left as no guts for fighting and the barry was no desire to be a leader and take action when it is needed..his desire is for the US to fall to a lesser power in the world, both militarily and ecomonically....in his vison we need to be whipped back and subservant and apologys for our passed world position and how we got there....

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

"Mr Romney stood by his criticism of the administration as events unfolded on Wednesday, despite a lack of firm support from his Republican party"

He also had support from many in his party they.just failed to mention that.

sent from my FISHER PRICE Z100 using EO forums

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter

But, i'd be willing to bet you will find he has the suport of the majority of the "right" leaning people of this counntry...I know I support him..but then again, i am also for killing the protesters on the spot.....

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter

That is very true - but I think it must have been significant to have even mentioned it.
" His actions were also questioned by conservatives and Republicans"

bobwg

Expert Expediter
But, i'd be willing to bet you will find he has the suport of the majority of the "right" leaning people of this counntry...I know I support him..but then again, i am also for killing the protesters on the spot.....
There is nothing wrong with peacful protest but these are not protesters these are thugs and terrorists shoot to kill on sight to save lives and property

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is nothing wrong with peacful protest but these are not protesters these are thugs and terrorists shoot to kill on sight to save lives and property

By reports these were simply protesters....on THEIR soil....until a radical faction used them as pawns for the invasion of the embassy....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
U.S. should just get out of Dodge....done enough damage over there....if the people want their freedom, they can do their own fighting as generations have done before them...IMO

bobwg

Expert Expediter
By reports these were simply protesters....on THEIR soil....until a radical faction used them as pawns for the invasion of the embassy....

Excuse me but that may be true but the minute they turn violent and threaten lives or property they are thugs/crimminals/etc as you see today more thugs are violent burning property and endangering lives

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Excuse me but that may be true but the minute they turn violent and threaten lives or property they are thugs/crimminals/etc as you see today more thugs are violent burning property and endangering lives

am referring to the ones in Egypt....they are on Egyptian soil...the US has NO authority....till they cross into the Embassy lands and step unto US soil....then they are fair game...blow them to bits.....

muttly

Veteran Expediter

THEY being the BBC, a liberal outfit, so that is why they failed to mention it. It doesn't fit their narrative. The British press sux just as bad as the our lame stream media.

muttly

Veteran Expediter

Most conservative think this has been Romney's finest moment. So the BBC wants to parrot our liberal press who are totally in the tank for Obama. I'm sure they are are referring to a few RINO republicans who piped up and this is proof positive of a lack of firm support. Not really.