Fuel mileage on cat c-15

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So reading one of the forums I see the cat c-15 doesnt get very good fuel mileage. Bummer because the stretched class 8 I was looking at has that engine in it. Anybody know how bad the mileage is and what are the preferred engines for fuel economy on A class 8 stretched D unit?

MissKat

Expert Expediter
C15 in a kw tractor pulling panther reefer 6 mpg

Sent from my VS920 4G using EO Forums

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
We need more info. Make and model, year, trans, gearing. Not all c15's are the same

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Air cleaner and stacks gone or behind the sleeper and its a 6.5 truck. Could be 7 or 7.25 with a few other mods.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Would think a straight could do mid 7's . Prefered engine is usually a Detroit. Cummins next in my book. My class 8 n14 got mid 10's as a straight. Today my engine of choice would be '04 or older or '10 or newer due to emission concerns.

garyatk

Seasoned Expediter
It also depends on what model year and first 3 letters in the serial number. I have 3 of them and they get between 6 and 8 MPG as a tractor trailer pulling trailer loads. Bobtailing they have done better than 10 mpg. You also will get more miles out of a CAT. That is why I bought them.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The biggest factor is the driver. 35% improvements best to worst drivers in large fleets. Tire pressure also a big factor on overall cost per mile of operation.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Caterpillar is a dishonest company that will deny your warranty and cheat you if they possibly can. Go Cat at your own risk. Cummins is a better engine with better mpg and a better company backing it up.

garyatk

Seasoned Expediter
When I was doing my research, and finding out what I needed to do to get the most efficient trucks, I talked to many different sources. The suggestions I followed I were based on what made the most sense to me. My choices were Freightliners with CATS or Detroits or Volvo's with Cummins. I wanted 13 speed transmissions and the only thing I could get with that was Freightliners with CATS. The advice that I was given was that the CATS were best suited for the ECM upgrades that are available, and when you add the torque and horspower that we added, the CAT would be the best motor in the long run. I spoke with a man that did some of this tuning on an MBN and it is still running strong at 1.5 million miles with no onerhaul done yet. I believe that as long as I get good drivers, and give them proper maintenance I will see that kind of service also. I like my solid 7mpg, and my drivers like 600hp and 1850 ft/lbs of torque.

Do I have proof? NO! But I felt it was best for what my choices were.

Now to better answer this posts first question, I guess if I was looking to stretch a class 8 to make a D unit I would look for an 07' Volvo 780 with a Cummins and auto trans. You don't need what I have in a D unit, but I wouldn't be afraid of a CAT, especially if it is out of warranty...

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you doing heavy haul? 600 ponies will certainly get some work done. Good drivers make all the difference, keep them happy and you should be as well.

garyatk

Seasoned Expediter
No, just regular tractor trailer work. But it is nice to get good MPG and the drivers to be able to climb hills like they are empty... :)

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
07 would be the last year I would do. No dpf, right. If so it could be ok. And I would say a 9mpg truck to start. I would much rather have a Detroit though. And a 12.7 Detroit at that. The 10 auto and 3.23's should be fine for this set up also. I would be looking at 03, 04, and 05's with this set up if it were me, just don't have faith in the newer models unless you are going to buy a brand new one.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I'm glad its working for Gary. His drivers must be well disciplined to use the hp wisely. If he gets large enough to get less selective about his drivers he may loose fuel and tire mileage. As a truck hauler I sold my '01 Star at 445,000 miles. I wasn't even thinking of drive tires yet. I was shocked when I learned my high hp co-workers were happy to get 225-250,000 out of there drives pulling the same loads. These were the 1850 ft lbs of tourque guys. If Gary doesn't have a fuel mileage bonus I'd suggest he plan for one in the future.