Does every freightliner m2 106 have a/c issues??

xman1827

Active Expediter
I bought this truck 3 months ago and it seems like i replaced almost the whole a/c system. I replaced the condenser, the blower, the sleeper expansion valve, the in cab filter and now they say i have a leak but nobody can seem to find it wtf! Any suggestions????

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Yes. We had the same issue in our m2 106. Those trucks are like the worst freightliner ever built. All kinds of electrical issues also.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
NO I haven't. Someone also told me it could be my evaporator is that possible?

Very possible. Also, check for a crack in the high pressure line. It may be small. I changed the condensor, compressor, evaporator, dryer and the high pressure line. Not all at the same time.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
NO I haven't. Someone also told me it could be my evaporator is that possible?

Very possible. Also, check for a crack in the high pressure line. It may be small. I changed the condensor, compressor, evaporator, dryer and the high pressure line. Not all at the same time.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Great that's all I needed is to blow half my profit on a/c parts for a truck I just bought.

I hope you have a Cat or Cummins motor as the Mercedes motor is junk. Ours blew at 189,000 miles. Like other have said, this truck is the worse medium duty truck Freightliner has ever built. Bring back the FL 60,70, and 80's. M2 are junk and wouldn't ever buy another one. That is why we are going to Kenworths.

xman1827

Active Expediter
Yeah its a mercedes! Well I'm at 300,000 atleast I got a 2 year warenty with it but of course it don't cover the a/c I haven't had problems with the engine or anything else but this a/c issue is just stressing me the Hell out

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah its a mercedes! Well I'm at 300,000 atleast I got a 2 year warenty with it but of course it don't cover the a/c I haven't had problems with the engine or anything else but this a/c issue is just stressing me the Hell out

We have the Mercedes 4000, 450HP. We have almost 582500 on it. Knock on wood, no problems yet. We have a Eaton/Fuller 10sp auto shift.

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
YEP-i GOT A COME-APART-wish I had my detroit back ! every freightliner owned had ac problems..now I can add regen issues to the list:(

Desperado

Seasoned Expediter
need to find yourself a normal ac man so he will draw a vacum on the system and leave it over night to check for leeks that draw a vacum then charge the system right away don't work had a m2 i took it t a friend shop and took us 3 days of pulling vacums and changing o rings parts and then i got 3 years of great ac without bother only good part i only had to pay for parts and 100 bucks labor because i did most my self

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

Yea, we put a brand new motor in it out a crate. We got rid of the truck and that motor blew also from what I found out a month ago. EGR coolers love to dump coolant back into the engine once the truck is shut down. In return it will cause your bearings to go bad from coolant in the oil. We had an ER cooler go bad and the freightliner dealer forgot to change the oil after the EGR went bad. Always change your oil ASAP after you replace the EGR cooler.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
need to find yourself a normal ac man so he will draw a vacum on the system and leave it over night to check for leeks that draw a vacum then charge the system right away don't work had a m2 i took it t a friend shop and took us 3 days of pulling vacums and changing o rings parts and then i got 3 years of great ac without bother only good part i only had to pay for parts and 100 bucks labor because i did most my self

When I took the Sterling in for AC repair, the mechanic said they could add dye to find a leak, if it was leaking - it wasn't, but how does that differ from drawing a vacuum & leaving it overnight?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Freightliner and a working air conditioner aren't usually together in the same sentence.
Do you ever notice they never actually repair it. They tear the whole thing out every time. New compressor, dryer, lines, you name it.

Last edited:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Freightliner and a working air conditioner aren't usually together in the same sentence.
Do you ever notice they never actually repair it. They tear the whole thing out every time. New compressor, dryer, lines, you name it.

That's why you should only take it to a dealer as a last resort.
My local shop is across the street from a Freightliner dealer and people would rather wait than go to the dealer. About 30% cheaper too.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That's why you should only take it to a dealer as a last resort.
My local shop is across the street from a Freightliner dealer and people would rather wait than go to the dealer. About 30% cheaper too.

Don't blame them. The local places will do a better job and be a fraction of the price. We had a M2 that was going through condensors only to find out Freightliner changed the vendor three times. No recalls or anything. Just wait until it quits/leaks and then they keep putting in the same junk ones. Took us two to figure it out. Finally got the right one at a non-dealer.

Last edited: