CAT problems

KerriLynn

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 2009Freightliner with a cat C13 engine. Does anyone want to comment on the performance of this engine. Seems very sluggish. I also own a 2003 with a C9 in it. Almost a million miles on this one. My 2009 doesn't seem to have any more get up and go then the 2003. Also I am having trouble getting warranty work done. 158k on the 2009 and blown head gasket. After a week out of service, I am on the road again and the check engine light came on. I got to another dealership and they did not want to touch my truck because they said that they have trouble getting CAT to pay for warranty work. Any comments there?

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Probably going to have to provide more information. A sluggish engine could mean all kinds of things.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
CAT does not stand behind their engines. Now that they are out of the on highway engine business they are not going to do anything for anyone if they can get away with it. You have my condolences on having a CAT engine truck. Good luck as you will surely need it.

DriverX

Seasoned Expediter
Hi Kerri!
I too have one of the last Cat motors, mine is a c15. I have had nothing but trouble with it since new in 08.We have spent a total of 8 months downtime in the 2 years since purchase.
And it is in the shop again always for the same problems(wich have been"fixed" several times)!as for your power problem have you changed the crankcase breather filter or checked to see about a particulate filter repair under warranty? Our crankcase filter has to be changed every 50k or so or the power goes away in a hurry!
There are several large fleets that bought c13 or c15's over the lase couple of years that are trying to get rid of them and replace with another motor. They also have a very big lawsuit against cat
with a couple of hundred oo"s like ourselves who have joined the legal action . Ours is down again and we are being told that they have to tear down the engine but Cat may or may not pay for it under warranty and thay have been finding Cat is refusing this repair.
So we have dusted off our D unit to keep rolling as we fight cat over our warranty and lost revenue.This engine has been a nightmare for us I hope you have better luck then we did!
Be safe!!
DriverX

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Take your truck to Riggs CAt in Little Rock AR.If it can be fixed,I recommend this shop.not sure of your problem,don't know what the code your check engine light will flash,but there are many reasons for loss of power,especially if you bought any Bio- Diesel

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I am beginning to think we got our free engine (blown turbo warranty) in the nick of time.

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wow what a lot of problems. Got no solution for you, just knows what works for us. We have a C12 engine 450000 miles on the engine, we use nothing but Cat filters,anti freeze,Cat litter (jk), we don't often lug it up mountains, and it gets totally awesome mileage, no drips, leaks, or other undesirables. It has served us so well when the time comes we will overhaul it and run it another million miles. Were just curious did you buy your trucks new or used? and if you bought them used did you really check them out?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My truck was bought new and at 280k had the #3 and 6 cylinders go from worn rings. The technician at SLC dealer said that was the cleanest engine he ever tore down and obviously and absolutely had meticulous maintenance and never should have had that problem. CAT, being the lousy scum *******s they are, denied and delayed and cost us an extra week of down time before finally paying 45% of the repair. CAT is a SCUM outfit and horrible corporate citizens. Avoid them like the plague. Oh, and if you take any of their jobs be sure to spit on the ground in their lots.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I have cat problems too...they put their paws on the windows!:)

The dogs are the problem with the windows, nose prints all over the place. The cats are a problem with food, they like to knock over the food and watch the dogs scramble.

Leo, what's your lawyer say? Got a case to go to court with?

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
To verify a previous posters comments, I have a good friend which recently won a judgement against CAT and they were court ordered to buy back 20 ea 2008 year model trucks with the infamous ACERT Twin Turbo C-15, These trucks all under warranty and 400K miles had problems ranging from the simple to complete inframes.

"The best thing about CAT truck engines, They don't make them anymore"

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It would likely cost about as much as it would win and CAT probably knew that when they raised what they'd pay from 25% to 45%.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Brought my truck in for overhead some time ago and dealer said turbo oil seal was blown and one injector at 180k mi.s, Freightliner, Texarkana, warranty paid no problem. Also, no problem w/ getting a HUEI pump replaced a couple weeks ago under Cat's ESC warranty at Tyler TX Freightliner, 455k mi.s on truck. May just be the higher dollar repairs Cat bulks on, hope I don't have to find out anytime soon. I think I'll pass on spending the $3,000 to extend my 500k ESC any furthur tho.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Will I hurt my motor going back to a mineral or blend 10W30 from a 5W40 full synth?
Here's the deal;

582,000 on the clock, my '06 C9 has been diagnosed with needing another HUEI pump. This one is on me ($1125 plus labor), no warranty.

Some interesting info from Cat techs here at Thompson Machinery, Cookeville, TN;

1st; Recommended and says proven Cats run best w/ 10W30 oil. Piper1 quote; "Anything that plays with oil viscosity or chemistry on a HUEI injector engine is a BAD idea. Those engines use engine oil under very high pressure to fire the injectors and they are designed with a certain oil charecteristic in mind." I used Rot T6 5W40 full synt, added a little Lucas after loosing a little press. w/ synthetic

2nd; Claimed Cat quit the truck eng.s partly due to manufacturers not installing the new emission equipment properly....they had a truck where the DPF flame thrower line directed the flame thru 2 ninety degree angles before exiting into the filter. I'll keep my pre-emission motor, thank you.

BTW, Thompson Machinery, Cookeville, TN is being added to my recommend list.

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 2009Freightliner with a cat C13 engine. Does anyone want to comment on the performance of this engine. Seems very sluggish. I also own a 2003 with a C9 in it. Almost a million miles on this one. My 2009 doesn't seem to have any more get up and go then the 2003. Also I am having trouble getting warranty work done. 158k on the 2009 and blown head gasket. After a week out of service, I am on the road again and the check engine light came on. I got to another dealership and they did not want to touch my truck because they said that they have trouble getting CAT to pay for warranty work. Any comments there?

Kerrilynn, get the crankcase breather filter changed or do it youeself an easy do, also look into having your DPF filter cleaned, it can be done , cat in brmingham,al has the machine to do it others also but don't know which ones. The DPF ceramic filter can be cleaned and is around 800.00 for the tear down and cleaning,most dealers will tell you you need new DPF system, 3300.00 , cat cleans and resells the filters as remanufactured when you by the new system , if you are mechanicly inclinded you can do it your self and save a bundle. can give more info on this just pm me. good luck-learn as much about your system as you can before you are in crisis mode or you'll be paying thru the nose for something that can be done at a third of the cost.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
The FL dealer in OKC, OK off I-40 has a poster ad for a replacement DPF filter element for $699 boasting 1.5 hrs labor instead of down 24 hrs and many more dollars labor. Not sure if for Cat or not.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
A good friend of mine had 75 Petes with C-15 cat engines. Cat gave them nothing but grief on warranty work. He got so mad he sold the 75 trucks and bought Cummins ISX engines. Never been happier.
Now if you have one do not take it to a truck dealer for engine work. Take it only to CAT.

Camper

Not a Member
A good friend of mine had 75 Petes with C-15 cat engines. Cat gave them nothing but grief on warranty work. He got so mad he sold the 75 trucks and bought Cummins ISX engines. Never been happier.
Now if you have one do not take it to a truck dealer for engine work. Take it only to CAT.

I've never gone wrong with the ISX. It's a real workhorse.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App