own authority straight truck pay

southernbboi

Active Expediter
Hello i jump in this business a month ago and been kind of blind folded and have lost a few loads but we live and learn i guess but can someone weight in on this my problem is when dealing with freight brokerages and agents what is the going rates now days what should i be charging by the mile and fuel surcharge should be my gas tank is 55 gallon and goes 6 to 10 mpg thanks

fortwayne

Not a Member
Me personally would suggest you study and learn your overhead first. What is a low rate for me might be a good rate for you. I would suggest going an all in rate that way avoiding the confusion some have with FSC. I would say 1.70 would be a good starting point. And not to be to critical but this is just a small part of what u should have known prior to getting your own authority. You placed yourself in lack of knowledge hole before u opened your doors.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Ok i see but if im driving up north from the south at 170 a mile that will be cheap right
what are your costs??? fuel, truck payments, insurance, etc will you have money left after you pay your costs when you finish this run??

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok i see but if im driving up north from the south at 170 a mile that will be cheap right

Not necessarily. This time of year the prevailing winds are generally blowing from south to north. While your $1.70/mile may appear cheap to some smartass Yank passing you going in the opposite direction but you're the one with the tailwind. You can whistle Dixie all the way to the mattress in your double-wide.