Proof for Per Diem

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
As a Class A and Class B driver, I have had log books to prove my time away from home. If I were to become a non-CDL driver, what proof can I use as a substitute for log books?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When you say non-CDL, do you mean under 10,000 GVW? You could be non-CDL between 10k and 26k and still have to run a log. If you're going cargo van, some run a log book just for IRS purposes. I kept a journal that I record expenses in, along with locations.

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
By non-CDL I was referring to no longer having to have DOT med cards, log books, scales and all the other crap I've put up with since 2004.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have BOLs, settlement sheets, fuel receipts, credit card receipts and homemade trip sheets to document my travels.

Does that give you a close enough picture to prove like, 1/2 per diem? For when you arrive at home or leave home?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have BOLs, settlement sheets, fuel receipts, credit card receipts and homemade trip sheets to document my travels.

I don't have the BOL's the settlement sheets do the same job without all the paper saved...I have all what Moot does..

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I over kill, (best to have more and not need it, than to have less and need it).

BOL, Trip Reports, Settlements, and for an overview I keep a monyhly Calendar showing loacation. I do not count a day away if I leave home for a short run, then dead head back home later the same day. On the Calendar- I keep three years with me. Good way to see where you can get loaded from year to year. You have to make some adjustments, but it works for me. (my little black book)

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
If you're in a van keep a log book and log it as you do it . Even if you drive over 11 hours a day or over 14 hours a dayon duty it doesn't matter if you are not hauling hazmat . The only thing you need to worry about is not exceeding the 70 hours in 8 days if you get a hazmat load .

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
HI ALL
It seems that there is much confusiion about the per deim and how it works,

On the day you leave it is based on the time of day, if you leave from 6AM to Noon it is 3/4 day, noon to 6PM is considered 1/2 day, and after 6 PM to midnight a 1/4 day.

If you are in a cargo van, the best way is to log just for the heck of it, Only under hazmat you must meet DOT Regs and under the 70 hour rule, otherwise it is not necessary

When I was on the road myself in the cargo van, I used a Steno Notebook
on the left side right side starting mileage leaving home and time
Shipper
address
city
phone
date of pick up
time.

Receiver
Address
City
Phone
Time of Delivery
Tate of Delivery

Right Side was for my mileage deduction
Starting Mileage (Deadhead) plus time left
Starting Mileage (loaded)
Every place I stopped, fuel, eat, etc, nap, etc
ending mileage (Delivery) and deadhead to truckstop unless new load was ready for pickup
this is your Proof of per diem

one you leave your home residence, you are out for the total time, weather your sitting in a truckstop, or wal mart parking lot,. If you have to do a repair, depending on that repair
if major and you go home immed, you are out of service and the per diem is over for that trip

If it is repairable on the road the per diem continues throughout the time spent on the truck.

I hope this trys to clear up some of the confusion.

Franklin Katz, ATP ,PA, PB
Frank’s Tax and Business Service
120 York Rd
Kings Mountain, NC 28086-3151
(704) 739-4039
Fax: (704) 739-3934

Providing Professional Accounting Services and Income Tax Preparation

Circular 230 Disclaimer – Any tax advice in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of (1) avoiding tax related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or tax-related matters addressed herein.