cargo/van sleeper photos

jugbutt

Seasoned Expediter
Hello everyone let's see some photos of you vans that you'll made with a sleeper in it and what the measurements is.
I love to see what pride you have in your van to get some ideas.

And how many pallets you can haul. I'm getting a extended gmc van to work out of.

Thanks for any photos and be safe and God be with you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):)

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Lets say Im no carpenter, no pics , but the outside needs paint,lol..............one ton dodge, can carry 2 pallets or maybe some 9 ft drive shafts, thats it when they are in one of those large metal cages. but Ive seen others vans all custom made inside, will have to save up for that. My budget will get there soon, I want a CarMaxx for Christmas.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My first van I copied an Alumi-Bunk setup I saw. It had a 30" bed behind the seats and a bulkhead behind that. Immediately I found that this was not going to work for me. Within a few weeks I tore it out and started over.

I built a split insulated bulkhead with a crawl through behind the seats with a 30" wide piece of plywood hinged at the bulkhead for a mattress platform. I prefer a split bulkhead behind the seats allowing access to the cab and open on the back side giving me full living accommodations (100") when not loaded.

Over the years I have tried different set-ups based on the split bulkhead. The MootBed™ and MootBed Deluxe™ were both built from stripped down sofa beds. Very comfortable in the extended position but offered no under bed storage.

For the past 3 years I have gone back to the hinged plywood platform, allowing easy access to my aux. batteries and circuits and ample under bed storage. I have an extra sheet of plywood on top of the hinged sheet so I can turn it and the mattress longitudinally and stretch out, catching a full body breeze provided by the Fantastic Fan and window screens.

Below are old pictures of the MootBed™. My current set-up is similar as I can sleep both crosswise and longitudinally like the MootBed™ but now I have under bed storage and shaved about 80# off my total weight.

Attachments

• Bed Crosswise.jpg
    Bed Crosswise.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 416
  • Bed Longitudinal.jpg
    Bed Longitudinal.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 359
  • Crawl through bulkhead.jpg
    Crawl through bulkhead.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 343

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
My current set-up is similar as I can sleep both crosswise and longitudinally like the MootBed™ but now I have under bed storage and shaved about 80# off my total weight.

Congrats on losing 80#'s:D

jugbutt

Seasoned Expediter
My first van I copied an Alumi-Bunk setup I saw. It had a 30" bed behind the seats and a bulkhead behind that. Immediately I found that this was not going to work for me. Within a few weeks I tore it out and started over.

I built a split insulated bulkhead with a crawl through behind the seats with a 30" wide piece of plywood hinged at the bulkhead for a mattress platform. I prefer a split bulkhead behind the seats allowing access to the cab and open on the back side giving me full living accommodations (100") when not loaded.

Over the years I have tried different set-ups based on the split bulkhead. The MootBed™ and MootBed Deluxe™ were both built from stripped down sofa beds. Very comfortable in the extended position but offered no under bed storage.

For the past 3 years I have gone back to the hinged plywood platform, allowing easy access to my aux. batteries and circuits and ample under bed storage. I have an extra sheet of plywood on top of the hinged sheet so I can turn it and the mattress longitudinally and stretch out, catching a full body breeze provided by the Fantastic Fan and window screens.

Below are old pictures of the MootBed™. My current set-up is similar as I can sleep both crosswise and longitudinally like the MootBed™ but now I have under bed storage and shaved about 80# off my total weight.

Thanks Mr. Moot that is a very nice setup.

I just don't want to build a small sleeper and not have enough room for cargo.
How ofter do you run into 3 pallet loads?
I'm looking at a extended Gmc 3500 . Sleep will make you or break you. You have to have rest!!! thanks for the photos.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You can't fit 3 standard skids in a 1 ton extended GM, sleeper or no sleeper. You can fit 2 skids and have close to 30 inches left though. Good luck with your project.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can't fit 3 standard skids in a 1 ton extended GM, sleeper or no sleeper.

Sure you can. I've done it. Just turn one or more. Every 48" x 40" pallet you turn, you gain 8".

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How ofter do you run into 3 pallet loads?
Rarely. I'm on record with my carrier as having 100" available length. Over the years I can only think of a few times I used more than 100". I always had the option to collect "dry run" pay if the shipment exceeded my specified dimensions.

I did load a 16' shipment of overhead door track once. The load delivered about 60 miles from my house so I opted to take it. Ran the bundle of track down the middle, strapped the doors closed around the bundle, taped a red flag on the end of the load and hit the road.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Conflicting definitions. I always thought a standard pallet was 48x48 and a 40x48 was a reduced size pallet.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sure you can. I've done it. Just turn one or more. Every 48" x 40" pallet you turn, you gain 8".

I agree with Moot, and not just because I'm terrified of the consequences if I didn't. My van had a bulkhead, so I never did 3. But, I know several other people that have done it. It does raise the question of what a "standard" skid is. 48x40, 48x45, 48x48...

jugbutt

Seasoned Expediter
Rarely. I'm on record with my carrier as having 100" available length. Over the years I can only think of a few times I used more than 100". I always had the option to collect "dry run" pay if the shipment exceeded my specified dimensions.

I did load a 16' shipment of overhead door track once. The load delivered about 60 miles from my house so I opted to take it. Ran the bundle of track down the middle, strapped the doors closed around the bundle, taped a red flag on the end of the load and hit the road.

So if I have aleast a 100" to play with I will be Fine?