vans... winter tires???

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do you van guys switch to winter/snow tires on your vans? If so, what specific tire do you use?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you van guys switch to winter/snow tires on your vans? If so, what specific tire do you use?

I put a semi aggressive tread on the rears in the fall...and hope they make it till the following fall...

And no..I don't rotate my tires....never had a problem not doing so...I do get them rebalanced tho when they are off for brake check up...doesn't work for most guys but does for me...

guido4475

Not a Member
I am planning on Putting pretty agressive tires on the rear soon.I just got done balancing and rotating the tires, just doing what I hear works best for alot of people.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am planning on Putting pretty agressive tires on the rear soon.I just got done balancing and rotating the tires, just doing what I hear works best for alot of people.

That is not a bad thing...especially in some areas we go....
Some parking lots not being plowed out and virgin snow....

Then there is that stuff that clogs up the sipes on the tread and turns them into racing tires and you can't move!:eek:

IMO you are doing the right thing....Some of them all seasons are NOT all seasons....unless you run just Florida...*LOL*

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I run Michelin LTX M&S, plenty of deep tread - long lasting, good mileage and if the snow gets too deep I park.

Unfortunately "deep" does little for traction when the wet/icey snow impacts into the "deep" The ability of the tire to throw the snow out of the tread is what gives you traction...so the lugs should be further apart to accomodate this action...So in essence "deep" for bite and wider set lugs works best...:D

guido4475

Not a Member
That is not a bad thing...especially in some areas we go....
Some parking lots not being plowed out and virgin snow....

Then there is that stuff that clogs up the sipes on the tread and turns them into racing tires and you can't move!:eek:

IMO you are doing the right thing....Some of them all seasons are NOT all seasons....unless you run just Florida...*LOL*

It's really just being prepared for the amount of snow I get at the house, in the area I live, known as the snowbelt.And it is not easy getting to my house, either.Alot of backroads with steep curvy hills, etc.So I just want to be prepared this year, and I am still used to driving a s/t in the snow, which wasnt a problem in the deep stuff.A whole new world for me to deal with this year.But I am sure I don't get as much as you do in the great white north !!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's really just being prepared for the amount of snow I get at the house, in the area I live, known as the snowbelt.And it is not easy getting to my house, either.Alot of backroads with steep curvy hills, etc.So I just want to be prepared this year, and I am still used to driving a s/t in the snow, which wasnt a problem in the deep stuff.A whole new world for me to deal with this year.But I am sure I don't get as much as you do in the great white north !!

There is no real good solution...it comes down to what works for your truck and your style of driving...everyone will have a different version of what works for them and the conditions they commonly drive in....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
i have never put a "snow" tire on anything i have driven...just a good "open, self cleaning" thread....Firestone TransForce Hyways on the Van now and that is what will be there until i replace them , hopfully about 150,000 mile from now....and yea, i rotate and balance them every 20-25,000 miles or as needed if i feel a tire vibration...

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
If I could run with studded tires everywhere then I'd switch. Since I can't I run with what's on the vehicle.

Yeah, isn't that embarrasing getting stuck in a flat parking lot. I even got stuck in a freshly plowed parking lot in Fairbanks, AK. Tires got too cold, and it was like ice on ice.

eb

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bridgestone Duelers on all 4 corners, never been let down yet, I rotate and rebalence every oil change and have gotten 150,000 plus out of each set.

comet_4298

Seasoned Expediter
I had some Continental (vaco four season) and I'd get stuck with just the dew on the grass,so I've put some Michelin (LTX A/T2) and see if they do the job.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
have a discount tire across the street from my house...stopped in there last week asking about snow tires...they could only find a cooper series with a e rating...soft compound that might last 50,000 miles...i will put them on the rears in december...they should last the winter since my mileage nose dives after x-mas..

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The problem with snow tires on an expedite vehicle is that we spend virtually no time driving in conditions that require them. Snow tires are made so that they are softer and more flexible in colder temperatures, and will give you a much better grip on icy and snowy surfaces, but because of the softer composition the treadwear just sux on otherwise dry pavement. Ninety-five percent of our miles happen on primary roads, roads that are quickly cleared of snow, roads that have that otherwise dry pavement. You may be in conditions one day where snow tires would be preferable, but the next day the roads are clear. For that matter, the next day you could be in Houston or Savannah or Birmingham, and it might be 3 or 4 weeks again before you have another day where snow tires might be preferable. On those half a dozen days a year where you need snow tires, just drive a little more carefully and smartly and you'll be fine.

Of course, if you're one of those drivers who prefers to hang out in the midwest and always feel the insatiable need to get back to the freight lanes, then you might want to consider snow tires. If so, do it up right and get 4 of them. Snow tires, or aggressive tread tires, on the rear only does very little to help with the problems of steering in snowy and icy conditions. Having snow tires on the rear for the purposes of getting started and for acceleration is great, but it's meaningless if you don't have the proper grip on the steers while you're going down the road. Basically, if you can get buy without snow tires on the front, then you don't need them on the rear, either, and if you really and truly need them on one or the other, you need them on both. If you need them, buy four snow tires and then go to a junk yard or eBay and buy four spare wheels on which to mount them, making swapping them out a relative snap.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
Two is good enough for me....drove with them all my life..the only problem is they can push the front if there isnt snows up there..

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have not run snow tires on a vehicle since radial tires became popular in this country. I have been running Firestone Transforce M/S tires on my 2004 Chevrolet since day one.

I talked to another Panther driver a few weeks ago and he carries a set of tire cables that are similar to chains. He says they are lighter, easier to store, smoother riding and less abusive to tires than chains.

I like some weight over my drives. In the winter I carry some ballast for running empty or for light loads. I have three 70# sand tubes and an inner tube filled with sand that weighs about 100#. The inner tube sits in the side doorwell, 2 sand tubes are stored along the passenger side forward of the rear wheel and the third is under the bunk. In slippery conditions, with a light load I will place the sand tubes over the rear axle in the center of the floor. It works for me!