engine life??

busop1

Seasoned Expediter
can anyone tell me the life expectancy of a properly maintained 300 hp cummins engine ? and your preferences to cat or cummins?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Engine life is like a crap shoot.

Everyone takes a chance when they get an engine that it may have a major break down or need an overhaul short of its expected life. Things have gotten a lot better in the past, when you see them put together first hand, the impression is quality.

I have over 700k on my Cummins ISC. I purposely looked for an ISC and than went through the steps of making sure it was good - oil analysis, Dyno with blowby.

I have heard of several ISCs still running after a million miles but I feel 750k is the right nuimber to look for an overhaul.

I selected an ISC for a few reasons, one was I owned a few ISBs and there isn't much difference between the two. The other reason is it is a wet sleeve engine where the 3126 is not. Also parts are easier to find, I already located a few cores to rebuild if I ever need to. The last thing I like is Cummins, they have been very good to me in regards of customer care and getting me the parts.

Reactions: 1 person

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
can anyone tell me the life expectancy of a properly maintained 300 hp cummins engine ? and your preferences to cat or cummins?

Seeing that you can't know if a used engine has been properly maintained we'll assume your talking new, and so that leaves the Cummings engines as Cat is or has closed the Mossville plant and are not making truck engines any more what is out there now is all there is.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I was also wondering about the life of a 5.4L motor for a Ford.

The cube vans we use at work usually are still running after 250K but the transmission usually fails for the second or third time and they get rid of the truck. The engines run fairly smooth and doesn't usually use more than a a quart every five thousand miles.
I'm sure they could go till 500K
They use Mobil 1 synthetic and change the oil every 10k
BTW they regularly overload these trucks with over three tons of weight, which is why the tranny fails.

flattop40

Expert Expediter
The cube vans we use at work usually are still running after 250K but the transmission usually fails for the second or third time and they get rid of the truck. The engines run fairly smooth and doesn't usually use more than a a quart every five thousand miles.
I'm sure they could go till 500K
They use Mobil 1 synthetic and change the oil every 10k
BTW they regularly overload these trucks with over three tons of weight, which is why the tranny fails.

Thanks for the info, Was hoping to get 500k out of her. Might just have the van paid off by then :eek:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I need to clarify my post.

The problem with 'well maintained' is not knowing what well maintained means inside the engine. I mean even though an engine goes through it's recommended oil changes, the over head is done as the manufacture recommends and the same oil and filters are used every time, there is always something that can go wrong.

My suggestion is to look for an engine with records, a lot of owners only keep records in the DOT MRs but don't write down when they added oil or even consider having the thing dyno'ed at a specific mileage. Adding to that, I suggested in my other post to get an Oil Analysis, dyno with blowby and taking it a step further (sorry I forgot) getting an ECM dump to look at the data in the ECM. I paid for it to get done, it was not because the owner wasn't willing to do that but it made me feel better controling it.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I doubt you regularly carry 6000 pound loads with your one ton van, so you put less stress on the engine and tranny, I wouldn't see why you couldn't hit 500K. Might need a water pump or two before you hit half million.

dieseldoctor1

Expert Expediter
The dream van (2004 E350 5.4) now has 666,958 miles on it and the engine and trans are both original. In fact the trans fluid and filter is original. Change engine oil somewhere between 100 and 200 hrs. By the way the engine has 14,397 hrs on it. Engine has always used a quart of oil about every 2000 to 2500 miles or 40 to 50 hrs. Use Penzoil and genuine Motorcraft filters. Air filter once a year. Replaced the water pump at approx 500,000 just for safety sake. Changed antifreeze then. Did have three COPs (coil on plugs) fail at the same time (630,000 miles). Came off trip running good. Did a routine service and then the next time we started out it just wouldn't run above 30 MPH. Codes said 6, 7, 8, cylinders weren't firing. Replaced the three COPs and it has been running good ever since.

Good Luck with yours! Dieseldoctor

dcstevens

Seasoned Expediter
My Fords... 650K and 575K each has had a new transmission. My Chevy's 525K and 475K same transmissions.

The secret MOTOR KOTE in every hole you can put it!

rodeehos

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 2000 F-Liner FL70 that has an 8.3L Cummins ISC. Had a valve spring break in the original motor @ 342K. I have heard of engines going 700-800K before any major engine work. Rarely will you here of many going over 800K without a major over-haul.

flattop40

Expert Expediter
The dream van (2004 E350 5.4) now has 666,958 miles on it and the engine and trans are both original. In fact the trans fluid and filter is original. Change engine oil somewhere between 100 and 200 hrs. By the way the engine has 14,397 hrs on it. Engine has always used a quart of oil about every 2000 to 2500 miles or 40 to 50 hrs. Use Penzoil and genuine Motorcraft filters. Air filter once a year. Replaced the water pump at approx 500,000 just for safety sake. Changed antifreeze then. Did have three COPs (coil on plugs) fail at the same time (630,000 miles). Came off trip running good. Did a routine service and then the next time we started out it just wouldn't run above 30 MPH. Codes said 6, 7, 8, cylinders weren't firing. Replaced the three COPs and it has been running good ever since.

Good Luck with yours! Dieseldoctor

Now that is the best news I heard all day.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Greg

Our 3126 Cat had 750,000 miles on it when I had R&R engine out of Akron, Ohio do an inframe on it. It was $6000.00 to do. Runs like new now. Great motor if you ask me and the fuel pump is not $2700.00 like on the 8.3 Cummins. Our 8.3 runs great and Cummins does have good service I will agree with you on that.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
OK this is my thinking. if I'm wrong let me know.

i understand how filters work a filter that is a month old works better than a brand new one,because the particle that it is filtering start to clog the opening making it more efficient at it job.So even if your oil sample test are coming back as good to go at some point that filter will start to need more pressure to work right and get the correct amount of fluid where it belongs.Now i don't know where that point is along a filters lifeline but i assume it's is probably well before the 600,000 mark.At some point you should change filters no mater what the lab says.

See what I'm saying?