cargo van winter tires?

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have used Bridgestone Dueler's for the last 3 years on my 03 GMC, They have a Decent Aggressive Tread Pattern, and with care you will get over 100,000 Miles out ofthem.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
pretty much any tire with a semi aggressive tread will do...most get 100,000 miles plus...or 160,000 kms in our language...hahaha

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
2 of he best snows out there are the Blizzak w965 and the Nokian Hakkapaletta LT. Both come in 10 ply. The blizzak around here was around $220 each and the nokian was just under $200. I wish they make the nokian wr in LT sizes and load capacity but not so, as it is an all weather with snow tire rating and it really does work as I have them on my cars.
Rob

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
2 of he best snows out there are the Blizzak w965 and the Nokian Hakkapaletta LT. Both come in 10 ply. The blizzak around here was around $220 each and the nokian was just under $200. I wish they make the nokian wr in LT sizes and load capacity but not so, as it is an all weather with snow tire rating and it really does work as I have them on my cars.
Rob

220!!!!
Excuse me but I've NEVER ever paid that much for a tire...my last ones were 83.00 each....and last 155,000 miles...And never got stuck either...Coopers E rated..10 ply

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Well OVM if you want the name brands like Michelin for your Sprinter then the average price for the 225-75-16E is $217 per tire. This is Canada where a lot of items are over priced. Now yes that includes installation and new valve and balancing but not the taxes.
I can get lower priced tires but seveal do not work well on the sprinters, like some Hankook and others. Either too aggressive tread (noise and rough ride) or cheap compound and don't last. Yes they have us in a tight spot for pricing of tires here and quality costs.
Rob

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well OVM if you want the name brands like Michelin for your Sprinter then the average price for the 225-75-16E is $217 per tire. This is Canada where a lot of items are over priced. Now yes that includes installation and new valve and balancing but not the taxes.
I can get lower priced tires but seveal do not work well on the sprinters, like some Hankook and others. Either too aggressive tread (noise and rough ride) or cheap compound and don't last. Yes they have us in a tight spot for pricing of tires here and quality costs.
Rob

Why don't you buy them down here? If thats what you want...some states are only like 2 bucks recycle fee and only 7% tax...and still still count for tax write-off. Belle Tire in Mi you get FREE Stems and balancing and they even have FREE Nitro if you want to try it...

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The kicker these days Ken is the currency. A R265 Bridgestone for a Sprinter is $164 at Tire Rack .com (pretty good pricing).

Add 20 % for the currency now and the tire is 186.80 plus the tax (which unlike GST you don't get back) which I think is 8% in Indy and now your at $212. Dunno about Belle tire, they won't put prices up on their web site.

I've stopped buying a lot of things in the US because it just doesn't pay to anymore. It STINKS!!!

I do agree 220 is a lot but Rob is talking about a real winter tire (blizzak) vs one that has good tread. I had Michelin Latitude X ice tires on the pickup last winter and they were way better than even a set of new LTX's. I had to sacrifice some load capacity though.

Be glad you aren't regi'd in Que, Winter tires are the law this year!! Snow used to be the only think that would slow a Quebecois down to a safe speed, now what!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The kicker these days Ken is the currency. A R265 Bridgestone for a Sprinter is $164 at Tire Rack .com (pretty good pricing).

Add 20 % for the currency now and the tire is 186.80 plus the tax (which unlike GST you don't get back) which I think is 8% in Indy and now your at $212. Dunno about Belle tire, they won't put prices up on their web site.

I've stopped buying a lot of things in the US because it just doesn't pay to anymore. It STINKS!!!

I do agree 220 is a lot but Rob is talking about a real winter tire (blizzak) vs one that has good tread. I had Michelin Latitude X ice tires on the pickup last winter and they were way better than even a set of new LTX's. I had to sacrifice some load capacity though.

Be glad you aren't regi'd in Que, Winter tires are the law this year!! Snow used to be the only think that would slow a Quebecois down to a safe speed, now what!!

Indiana..bad example...they just raised their state tax....3 months ago they would have been a bargain when the buck was par or even better...but I see your point...get a friend to buy them that has a prp plate and be Ontario tax exempt as well...