ExpeditersOnline.com
Try Hours
Bolt Express
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Air Tabs and mud flaps. Do they work or a waste of coin?

Re: Air Tabs and mud flaps. Do they work or a waste of coin?

There are many trucking companies going to the AirTabs and I am constantly surprised when I see them on company trucks. The latests one I have seen are on Long Haul Trucking trucks and some I have started seeing are on tankers.
    Straight Truck Dry Box O/O Leased Exclusively to FedEx Custom Critical

You cannot hang out with NEGATIVE people and expect to live a POSITIVE life.

One of the Team Run Smart Pros

2. Owner-Operators Wanted - Hiring in Most States!
    Premium Transportation Logistics
    Explore the Premium opportunities available by leasing on to Premium Transportation Logistics LLC. We are a well established 10 year old Expedite and Truckload Carrier. PTL LLC offers our drivers above average pay, premium support services and premium freight. Our drivers appreciate fast settlements (no holdback week), our helpful dispatch team and that our doors are always open to drivers. Call one of our recruiters today at 1-800-661-3166 option 3 for additional detials. Feel free to make an appointment to visit us prior to signing on.

3. 16,527304,53145,8

We put Air Tabs on our truck. They did not make that big a difference in our mileage but they made a HUGE difference in stability. The 'flow through' mud flaps made a difference of about 1/2 mile to the gallon. We average between 10-10 1/2 for 3 years now.

Duty Honor Integrity
    Peace Through Superior Firepower
    Security Through Strength

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give it to those who would not"

Thomas Jefferson

Freedom is found only in self reliance

Layoutshooter

5. 17,527305,53145,8
    The stability/reduced spray are enough to use the airtabs. If they do help fuel economy at today's prices even a minor improvement will result in a payback quickly,
    OOIDA # 463 ( Yeah, an old fart ). Expediting....It beats working for a living

7. 18,527308,53145,8
    LDB

Airtabs seem to be 1/10-1/8mpg improvement. Their benefit is at least as much in stability and cleaner/drier view to the back in the rain. The mudflaps seem to be about 1/3mpg improvement. Removing the visor seems to be about 1/3-1/2mpg improvement. YMMV
    A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but the foolish man's heart directs him toward the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2 NASB
    ---------------------------
    It's okay if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.

9. 19,527315,53145,8
    If the mudflaps are an inch or two behind the tires I don't see them collecting much air. Mudflaps a foot or two back would be more of a drag.
    OOIDA # 463 ( Yeah, an old fart ). Expediting....It beats working for a living

11. 20,527316,53145,8

The flow through mud flaps cut down a lot on spray as well.

Duty Honor Integrity

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give it to those who would not"

Thomas Jefferson

Layoutshooter

13. 21,527318,53145,8

Sorry don't buy into a half mi to the gallon just for those mudflaps all by themselves.
    T N T
    Finally, home again
    Load One
    Trk. #3060, #3160, #3180, #3185

15. 22,527323,53145,8

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite 1 View Post
    Sorry don't buy into a half mi to the gallon just for those mudflaps all by themselves.

Just what I saw. Every truck is different. Prior to putting them on my average was 9.5 to 10. Since I put them on it is 10 to 10.5. Those numbers are VERY consistent. They hold true at weights below 6000#, whether I am running the reefer or not. High winds and mountains hit us pretty good.

Duty Honor Integrity

Thomas Jefferson

Layoutshooter

17. 23,527324,53145,8

Watch trucks that go by and notice what how their mud flaps are behaving... Many people put anti sail holders on the mud flaps which is another indication of how much air they are catching. Either trim them up to match the width of the tires or change them...

Start looking when a truck or tanker passes you or when going through a truck stop at how many vehicles are using AirTabs they are becoming a very common item.
    Straight Truck Dry Box O/O Leased Exclusively to FedEx Custom Critical

You cannot hang out with NEGATIVE people and expect to live a POSITIVE life.

One of the Team Run Smart Pros

19. 24,527416,53145,8
    We put AirTabs on the truck after our first trip out. (4 weeks out). We really didn't notice that big of a difference with the mileage, (didn't really keep track, but we get about 10.5 now), but really noticed a big difference with stability. We no longer get blown about when getting passed by a semi, and the truck seems more stable in crosswinds.

We applied then on both sides and across the top of the box.

2007 KW T600 with a Cat C-11 and 10 speed Ultrashift. 10.5mpg on flat ground and no wind. We usually drive between 62-65. Truck is governed at 65. Mostly driven east of the Mississippi.
    Jim & Judy
    FedEx Custom Critical
    DR4560

- Thomas Jefferson

21. 25,527427,53145,8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12