ExpeditersOnline.com
Try Hours
Bolt Express
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carrier Comfort Pro APU cranks, doesn't start

After adding oil, my APU cranks but wont start. I drained the fuel filter,fuel was clean, hardly a trace of moisture.

Truck is 06, not sure of year of APU, was in truck when I bought it. 6500 hours on APU and I was about to have PM done on it and truck which I will do anyway. It ran fine night before. I don't check oil on it near often enough. Was fueling, checked oil and noticed none on dipstick. I added about 2 quarts which was an over kill.

Any ideas? I am hoping there was some sort of re-set that got tripped when oil got low even though I think it was running fine when I started up main engine that morning.

Thanks
    Ron Johnson

2. Tractor Trailers and STraight Trucks
    Landstar Express America
    Landstar needs solos, teams, Straight Trucks and Tractor Trailers, Dry box and Temp control. Please contact 800-435-4010 or go to lease2landstar.com

3. 1,431792,47027,8

Re: Carrier Comfort Pro APU cranks, doesn't start

Probably sounds stupid, but where did the oil go that was in it?
    Might want to identify that problem before doing anything else.
    fleet owner
    29 years
    Panther & Load One

5. 2,431795,47027,8

Thanks for the reply. I never leaks a drop. I suspect this is just regular use for an engine with 6500 miles.

7. 3,431806,47027,8

Hard to tell but worth checking. If no codes are on the display, then it could be sensor, fuel switch, fuel pump, or wires/fuses at the panel. After that, I would take it to a carrier dealer if you aren't familiar with working on them and covered the items on the troubleshooting in the manual.
    Good luck.
    fleet owner
    29 years
    Panther & Load One

9. 4,431809,47027,8

Yes, that is my thought. I am just hoping there is a reset that needs to be tripped and that someone has had this same problem. I was a certified mechanic till my son was born in 78. I know my way around an engine, I just know nothing about this APU and don't have a manual. But I will be ordering one

11. 5,431816,47027,8
    Seperate from your oil problem, we had the same cranking-no start. Had BOTH fuel filters replaced, worked for 20mins, died, primed again, died again...long story...take up tubes were too short/placed wrong. Also the thing needed alot of priming.

13. 6,431822,47027,8

on a rigmaster, if you over fill a bunch or fill to fast the oil can over run and get in the cylinders and it will crank but not run. hope thats not the case. not a killer but a pain from what i have been told.
    T N T
    Finally, home again
    Load One
    Trk. #3060, #3160, #3180, #3185

15. 7,431834,47027,8
    LDB

Yes, Rigmaster is bad about having to be filled slowly or it won't start. Eventually it all settles in and will run again but not until then. BTDT at Speedco once. Good luck.
    It's okay if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.

17. 8,431854,47027,8

Just a FYI. I think you can go to Carrier's site and download the manual for free.
    fleet owner
    29 years
    Panther & Load One

19. 9,431857,47027,8

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite 1 View Post
    on a rigmaster, if you over fill a bunch or fill to fast the oil can over run and get in the cylinders and it will crank but not run. hope thats not the case. not a killer but a pain from what i have been told.
    Actually, it won't crank. The oil is too thick and won't compress enough to complete the stroke. Well, that's what happened to mine, even after telling the professional oil change technician to fill it slowly.

Livin' the dream
    D unit O/O

21. 10,431988,47027,8

My Pro Heat has hours on it similar to yours. It too uses oil. I have to keep a close eye on it. It is always a good idea to check it often anyway. I have yet to have your problem. I have had a dipstick break once.

Duty Honor Integrity
    Peace Through Superior Firepower
    Security Through Strength

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give it to those who would not"

Thomas Jefferson

Freedom is found only in self reliance

Layoutshooter

23. 11,432004,47027,8

Quote Originally Posted by jansiemoo View Post
    Seperate from your oil problem, we had the same cranking-no start. Had BOTH fuel filters replaced, worked for 20mins, died, primed again, died again...long story...take up tubes were too short/placed wrong. Also the thing needed alot of priming.
    Thanks for the reply. So you are saying the pickup tubes in the fuel tank were too short? But I still had plenty of fuel to run truck engine. Also, you mentioned priming. Is there a manual prime pump on this APU?

25. 12,432077,47027,8

Quote Originally Posted by bugman View Post
    Thanks for the reply. So you are saying the pickup tubes in the fuel tank were too short? But I still had plenty of fuel to run truck engine. Also, you mentioned priming. Is there a manual prime pump on this APU?
    Your APU has its own pick up tubes. It's common in RVs to have the tubes short enough to not run the RV out of fuel, usually leaving about a 1/4 tank. I don't know if this would be the case with your truck.

Livin' the dream
    D unit O/O

27. 13,432080,47027,8

Since it's that old and you don't check it much I would also check the water lines to see if they are collapsed. If they run hot the sensor will shut it down and won't let it crank again. When they install those things they take the shortest route with hoses and wiring. If they are laying on the frame rail or tied up they could be collapsed.

29. 14,432092,47027,8

Thanks purgoose, That sounds logical. I am in line now for the PM on truck and APU. My only thought against what you are saying is that the APU is staying just as hot as if it were running, so there is enough coolant circulating for it to absorb lots of engine heat from main engine

31. 15,432097,47027,8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast