ExpeditersOnline.com
Try Hours
Bolt Express
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Why not use a trailer with a van or pick up?

Any reason why no one uses a trailer with their van or pick up for expediting? Seems to me the option of having a trailer would be better than having just a van? I know it would allow larger items to be transported. I haven't ask Fed Ex CC....maybe they have "rules" against this option?

2. CARGO VANS NEEDED NO EQUIPMENT AGE RESTRICTIONS
    Nations Express
    Nations Express has an immediate need for single and team CARGO VANS! Drive for a company that treats you with the respect you deserve and will get you the miles you want! Nations Express strives to make you a successful truck owner by listening to the driver and owners. We have an open door policy that lets you have a true say in the events and issues facing an owner operator, a fleet owner and drivers today. We Offer: No Forced Dispatch Weekly Settlements Trip Pak and Transflo Scanning Satellite Communications 24 Hours Dispatch Company Paid Fuel Taxes Paid Dead Head Miles Com Data Fuel Card Mileage Bonus Safety Bonus Tire Program Fuel Discounts No Truck Age Requirement Rider Program No Pet Restrictions Paid Cargo Insurance And most of all we offer you respect and the chance to become not just a driver leased to a company but a true partner in success!

3. 1,426195,46608,8

Re: Why not use a trailer with a van or pick up?

Quote Originally Posted by timberland View Post
    Any reason why no one uses a trailer with their van or pick up for expediting? Seems to me the option of having a trailer would be better than having just a van? I know it would allow larger items to be transported. I haven't ask Fed Ex CC....maybe they have "rules" against this option?
    There are pickup trucks with goose neck trailers... but about your question, adding a trailer to the van it means going over 10000 lbs, and that means getting under the DOT regulations with all that ugly stuff: scales, log books, limited driving time. Personally I switched from big rigs to cargo van just to stay away from that cr... stuff...
    Freedom is just a myth

5. 2,426199,46608,8

Didn't think that way....makes sense. Thanks.

7. 3,426202,46608,8

Quote Originally Posted by timberland View Post
    Didn't think that way....makes sense. Thanks.
    You're welcome!
    Freedom is just a myth

9. 4,426206,46608,8

None of the company's I have talked to will even think about a pickup.They say it doesn't look professional.

11. 5,426208,46608,8

It MIGHT not look as professional but in the right weather my 4 wheel drive would go where many other trucks could not.

Duty Honor Integrity
    Peace Through Superior Firepower
    Security Through Strength

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give it to those who would not"

Thomas Jefferson

Freedom is found only in self reliance

Layoutshooter

13. 6,426209,46608,8

There is a panther van that pulls a small trailer behind it. I saw it the other day coming home and have seen it several times in the past five months.

15. 7,426213,46608,8

I've seen both Greyhound buses and UPS city type Utilimaster vans pulling trailers up here.

17. 8,426217,46608,8

Quote Originally Posted by JAYSON View Post
    None of the company's I have talked to will even think about a pickup.They say it doesn't look professional.
    After seeing a lot of the junk vans these 5 star carriers have leased on saying that a pickup truck does not look professional is laughable.

19. 9,426231,46608,8
    LDB

Recently I saw a UPS neighborhood delivery type van pulling a small flatbed trailer with one of the curved wall containers they put on airplanes. It was full of a jumble of boxes.
    A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but the foolish man's heart directs him toward the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2 NASB
    ---------------------------
    It's okay if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.

21. 10,426232,46608,8

Well, keep your eyes open for an Express-1 GM 1 ton Pickup with tall topper mounted on the bed. They're team!
    Steady

Disclaimer: To ensure compliance with being responsible governing written post, please be advised that any advice included in this communication, including attachments, is not intended, and cannot be used, for the purpose of being responsible, therefore the communication and or attachments can not be viewed as irresponsible or matter to another person.

There are people who present themselves contrary to the way they really are.....

I really do "...Live in a Van down by the R-I-V-E-R!"

23. 11,426235,46608,8

I thoughtit would be kinda cool to empt the van out completly, use that for hauling the freight, while pulling a 12' travel trailer behind it for sleeping/waiting for a laod, but dont think the tralier would hold up to the miles we put on it.And then the thought of un-hooking and hooking up everytime to get loaded/unloaded...lol..

"This business is anything but predictable.A good move one week is a terrible move the next week.The crystal ball is a pretty foggy thing in this business"-Mr.John Elliott.

Patience is not the ability to wait, but the ability to keep a good attitude while waiting.

I tell it like it is... You want sugar coated... EAT A donut!!!

25. 12,426236,46608,8

Quote Originally Posted by guido4475 View Post
    I thoughtit would be kinda cool to empt the van out completly, use that for hauling the freight, while pulling a 12' travel trailer behind it for sleeping/waiting for a laod, but dont think the tralier would hold up to the miles we put on it.And then the thought of un-hooking and hooking up everytime to get loaded/unloaded...lol..

I wondered about that myself. Bet it would be a pain when you had to hook/unhook all the time, but the comfort of having a 12' "sleeper" sounds kinda cozy no?

27. 13,426240,46608,8

Yup...alot more comfy than any van sleeper out there.

"This business is anything but predictable.A good move one week is a terrible move the next week.The crystal ball is a pretty foggy thing in this business"-Mr.John Elliott.

Patience is not the ability to wait, but the ability to keep a good attitude while waiting.

I tell it like it is... You want sugar coated... EAT A donut!!!

29. 14,426242,46608,8

The idea of using a cargo van as the power unit for a combination vehicle seems a little unusual. Maybe if one had a manual transmission and a heavy duty upgrade. Prolonged use of the stock automatic transmission as an integral part of the drivetrain which is pulling a small trailer strikes me as problematic. Could a GM or Ford van hold up to such use at 100,000 miles per year? Maybe someone has done this. Seems unlikely. Occasional towing is more likely the manufacturer's intent.

31. 15,426250,46608,8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast