ExpeditersOnline.com
Try Hours
Bolt Express
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Looking to raise van roof, rear doors

Re: Looking to raise van roof, rear doors

Quote Originally Posted by OntarioVanMan View Post
    Rlent..THANK YOU for your view of the REAL world.
    I second that. I also have an extensive customer relations background and I learned a long time ago the importance of the basics ... establishing what your customer needs, promising to provide it, and doing so. You also have to understand that some customers will treat you like family and some will treat you like dirt but in the end all that matters is if the check clears.

As to a taller van the one thing I would add is to avoid those with extended roofs but not extended doors. That would seem obvious but I see many of them on the roads.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

2. Tractor Teams and Solos needed!
    Premium Transportation Logistics
    Expedite AND OTR Tractors needed! * Expedite and Truckload programs available * Steady miles and ABOVE average pay * Team bonus pay * Company provided trailers * 1 Day Orientation * Base plate & fuel cards programs Call to talk to a recruiter today! 800-661-3166 - Option 3

3. 16,269142,33314,8

there is a terry and renee article in driver profiles from april 11, 2004. pix of the inside of the truck. at least in this truck terry did not bob the door to open into the top.

jack berry & gracie berry
    2008 ford e-350 hcv
    ooida member 889111

"the cure for rejection is-being able to see yourself as God sees you. It means announcing, "I am what God says I am, I have what God says I have, therefore, I can do what God says I can do". So even if you didn;t get off to a good start, you can still have a great finish"-Bob Gass

http://www.expeditersonline.com/foru...r-threads.html

http://www.expeditersonline.com/foru...n-threads.html

5. 17,269316,33314,8

okay so i have done some calling around on this subject. company further north in wisc says 2500 for the roof and they don't do doors but can send them out to a mobility company. maybe 1500 more. 4 grand for an upfit.

fella in chgo called and he said he can do a 24" roof for about 6 grand but the doors will only be about 10" higher than std. he said it also depends on the kit he receives for the doors and how much is available from the back f the raised roof.

that is still a lot cheaper than the van i see at bass truck center in lorain oh for 23K$ with a raised roof and full rear doors. also a lot less than an hcv from vision mfg.

2008 ford e-350 hcv
    ooida member 889111

"the cure for rejection is-being able to see yourself as God sees you. It means announcing, "I am what God says I am, I have what God says I have, therefore, I can do what God says I can do". So even if you didn;t get off to a good start, you can still have a great finish"-Bob Gass

7. 18,271068,33314,8

here is more research from a thread a few years old. you can search for the rest. the other referenced companies in ga. are no longer at the phone numbers listed in the post or on the net.

this is the title of the thread. first post is from terry

Cargo Van Outfitters ?
    We've bought three vans since 1992 and had each of them outfitted with a high-top after purchase. The first by the now defunct "Malibu Van Conversions" in St Louis and the last two by "Osage" in Linn, Mo. The initial cost ($1800, $2200 and $3000 successively) and slight loss in fuel ecomomy were greatly offset by the added headroom and storage, TV, VCR space. As we approach 500,000 miles on our 2000 Chev 3500, we will be looking for a comparable replacement after the first of the year.

Has anyone bought a high-top recently and was pleased with the product? Where did you get the High-top? Was it a retro-fit or purchased as a whole with the van? Any pleasurable experiences withe Elkhart, In conversion companys?

BTW, the MSRP for 2005 Chev with all the goodies is $29,984 for a near identical GMC, $30,269.

i also called midwest specialty in indiana. no was the answer to used customer vehicles.
    Last edited by Jack_Berry; 11-06-2008 at 03:28 PM.

2008 ford e-350 hcv
    ooida member 889111

9. 19,271191,33314,8

Had a raised roof installed from Connolly Enterprises out of Plymouth , Mi . Raised roof $2800.00 . Higher doors would have been $ 2400.00 . Could not justify the extra cost for doors . Now I can stand up and have extra storage area above the drivers seat and also 3 ' towards the rear of van . Well worth it in my opinion !!

11. 20,271275,33314,8

I wonder how hard it is to install the hightop yourself, the time invested in doing the install vs. paying a shop to do it. If it isn't too difficult, the 1300 bucks, plus the install kit doesn't seem too expensive. Or, I might try buying a used Pennske truck first, before putting 3 grand into an '04 Ford E-250 with 190K on it..

13. 21,271512,33314,8

buddy of mine used to do van roofs in the 70s. he sid he would ordeet the roof from a shop. when it came in he got the van, cut the hole and took the topless(how scandalous!!) to the shop. place the roof on the van and do a quick 6 screw(!!!!) atachment and go home and finish the job. took 2 folks to get the lid on the van. i have talked to him about a top but he doesn't do doors. might as well get the door done for the extra space and take some work away from a sprinter(i'm gona get it now)

http://www.discountvantruck.com/

on the left is van roof tab.
    Last edited by Jack_Berry; 11-08-2008 at 07:58 PM.

2008 ford e-350 hcv
    ooida member 889111

15. 22,271526,33314,8

While driving around the Chicago area, I have seen a company called Fore-Tec Medical. They run ford vans with raised roof and doors. You might want to contact them and find out where they get their van modifications done at!

17. 23,271706,33314,8

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    While driving around the Chicago area, I have seen a company called Fore-Tec Medical. They run ford vans with raised roof and doors. You might want to contact them and find out where they get their van modifications done at!
    Custom Vans on Oakton, in Skokie.
    Jeanie
    OOIDA #66857
    Lifetime Member

19. 24,271738,33314,8

thanks jeanie. that is close by.......ok 65 miles but in this biz thats close.

raised roof $2500.00--2 lights no insulation
    Full doors 2000.00

cut doors into roof.

24" roof 23 opening

5 days after roof arrives.

10-12 days to get top.

2008 ford e-350 hcv
    ooida member 889111

21. 25,271774,33314,8

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Berry View Post
    thanks jeanie. that is close by.......ok 65 miles but in this biz thats close.

raised roof $2500.00--2 lights no insulation
    Full doors 2000.00

cut doors into roof.

24" roof 23 opening

5 days after roof arrives.

10-12 days to get top.
    I'm glad that was a help. As I said, I used to deliver their tops, I just had to dig through the cobwebs in my mind.
    Jeanie
    OOIDA #66857
    Lifetime Member

23. 26,271775,33314,8

Exclamation Re: Looking to raise van roof, rear doors

Pretty clean set up on the site below, could be a viable option to gain a lil living space in a domestic cargo van.

Tractorman70

1st in Van High Top,Van Raised Roof, Hightop,camper top,turtle top,bubble top,conversion van top.

25. 27,405751,33314,8

Exclamation Re: Looking to raise van roof, rear doors

I like these too, gotta love the internet!!

Van Camper Tops, High Roof Conversions, TV-Bubble

27. 28,405760,33314,8

Why not have a welding metal shop cut and make door risers for you ? I just had a metal shop in Laredo cut and shorten the wheel wells in my 10' cube van he charged me $85 per side. And it came out incredible. shop is called Aranda iron works inc laredo tx. He is not afraid to customize and or modify your van to your specs.

He was amazed that y cube had dually wheel wells on single rear wheels he was happy to correct this for me and he did a great job. Next he is building me a full frontal hd deer catcher for my van said he would charge around $750 but it will be heavy duty and wrap around so its well worth the investment since deers like to run into our paths .

29. 29,405770,33314,8
    Yup, as Ron White says, if you dont get a deer this year.. slow that bullet down to 65 mph, and put headlights on it. Deer will come to you!

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App
    Reading the Soapbox...

Have a Sprinter Van? Please check out our sister site MySprinterVan.com

31. 30,405883,33314,8
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast