ExpeditersOnline.com
Try Hours
Bolt Express

Thread: What caused it?

What caused it?

A few nights back catcher Alex Avila got hit in the mask with a foul tip. The pitch was clocked at 96MPH. When the ball hit the mask sparks flew! What I am wondering is what caused the sparks? The ball is leather and lacing on the outside, no metal. It struck the metal on the mask. Was it a sudden release of static from the extreme rotation of the ball? Did the ball cause the metal parts of the mask to move so fast that they created the sparks? I have no idea. It was really COOL to see!!

Sparks fly off Avila's catchers mask

Duty Honor Integrity
    Peace Through Superior Firepower
    Security Through Strength

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give it to those who would not"

Thomas Jefferson

Freedom is found only in self reliance

Layoutshooter

2. Tractor Owner-Operator$ Needed
    Premium Transportation Logistics
    Tractor Teams and Solos needed! Owner Operator: Dry Van Expedite AND OTR Tractors needed! * Expedite and Truckload programs available * Steady miles and ABOVE average pay * Team bonus pay * Company provided trailers * 1 Day Orientation * Base plate & fuel card programs Call to talk to a recruiter today! 800-661-3166 - ext. 207

3. 1,477706,50117,19
    I'm in the pond, standing on all your pennies

Re: What caused it?

My guess would be the leather on metal caused a static discharge.

That, or it was just another tribute to George Anderson.

The Doppler Effect means red lights will appear to be green if you drive fast enough.

5. 2,477717,50117,19

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
    My guess would be the leather on metal caused a static discharge.

That, or it was just another tribute to George Anderson.

Funny you should mention "Sparky". I was listening to a baseball "talk show" and the talking head, I don't know his name, said that he believed in "omens" both as a player and in real life.

He said that Detroit is "destined" to win the World Series this season and the sparks off the mask are the omen that proves it. He says that the Tigers are wearing the "Sparky" patch, Sparky died this year and the "sparks" were a "sign" from "Sparky" they they were going to win it all.

Duty Honor Integrity

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give it to those who would not"

Thomas Jefferson

Layoutshooter

7. 3,477719,50117,19
    I'm in the pond, standing on all your pennies

Baseball players, they are a superstitious bunch. The sparks could also mean they are destined to go down in flames in an early post-season exit at the hands of the Texas RadarRangers or the Bronx Bombers, or get burned by the Brewers, fried by the Phillies, or discharged by the Diamondbacks in the World Series.

The Doppler Effect means red lights will appear to be green if you drive fast enough.

9. 4,477722,50117,19

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
    Baseball players, they are a superstitious bunch. The sparks could also mean they are destined to go down in flames in an early post-season exit at the hands of the Texas RadarRangers or the Bronx Bombers, or get burned by the Brewers, fried by the Phillies, or discharged by the Diamondbacks in the World Series.
    Not win the Series? Shocking! The Tigers are electrifying this season. The are charged! They are riding the current!

Many in sports are superstitious, baseball players in particular.

Duty Honor Integrity

Thomas Jefferson

Layoutshooter

11. 5,477725,50117,19