ExpeditersOnline.com
Try Hours
Bolt Express
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Do you really need a hazmat endorsement?

You know I'm asked this question a lot and here is my suggestion - get it.

It isn't about if you are going to haul it or the carrier requires it but rather that you put an effort into learning a bit more than what you need to get by to get a CDL. One fleet owner here won't consider anyone without it, while I know others who feel that it seems to make drivers just a bit more aware of what they are hauling.

Personally, I would like to see that it is not an endorsement but a requirement for a CDL as much as the Smith System also become part of the CDL licensing.

Risk?

NO more risk than hauling dry freight if you are thourough in securing the cargo and driving sanely (not like the FedEx driver who passed me on I80 yesterday doing 75 and passing everyone in his way).

2. Be Home Every Weekend!!!
    Nations Express
    Nations Express has immediate opening for Owner Operators in our Truck Load Service. When you become a partner in the Nations Express Truck Load Service Division you will be home every weekend. Driver for a company that understands you have people and events waiting for you at home. Nations Express Truck Load Offers: $1.10 Per mile loaded plus FSC $0.85 Per mile empty plus FSC Weekly Settlements/Direct Deposit Free 2012 and 2013 model dry van trailers Haz Mat Pay Extra Stop Off Pay Detention Pay Com Data Fuel Card Satellite Communications 24 Dispatch No Truck Age Limit Rider Program No Pet Restrictions Mileage Bonus Requirements 21 YRS of Age 1 YR Over the Road Experience Acceptable Driving Record HAZ MAT Endorsement

3. 16,441099,47676,9

Talking Re: Do you really need a hazmat endorsement?

Sounds like sound advice to go ahead and get the endorsement. At least if we had the endorsement there would be more loads that we could accept.
    Thank you for your replies.

5. 17,441347,47676,9

[QUOTE=greg334;441099]You know I'm asked this question a lot and here is my suggestion - get it.

It isn't about if you are going to haul it or the carrier requires it but rather that you put an effort into learning a bit more than what you need to get by to get a CDL. One fleet owner here won't consider anyone without it, while I know others who feel that it seems to make drivers just a bit more aware of what they are hauling.

Personally, I would like to see that it is not an endorsement but a requirement for a CDL as much as the Smith System also become part of the CDL licensing.

Risk?

NO more risk than hauling dry freight if you are thourough in securing the cargo and driving sanely (not like the FedEx driver who passed me on I80 yesterday doing 75 and passing everyone in his way).
    Doesn't matter how carefully my freight is secured or my driving is, if the other guy is reckless.
    Like the FedEx Freight truck pulling doubles in the [prohibited] left lane last night - nearly caused an ambulance [with lights & siren] to wreck - silly emergency driver thought the big truck would move to the right, but he didn't.

DELIVERING THE FUTURE, WHATEVER IT TAKES.
    OOIDA 743749

7. 18,441522,47676,9

We have HAZMAT. We could do without it, business wise. It accounts for less that 3% of all of our work each year and does not pay nearly as good as most of our other work. We have it for a couple of reasons. One: we are required by our carrier to have it. Two: It will sometimes get us a load out of a bad area.

Should it be a requirement for a CDL? I don't know. I could see running a truck and NEVER hauling a HAZMAT load. I COULD do that now if I chose to. I COULD turn them all down. There are not very many offered to this truck.

Duty Honor Integrity
    Peace Through Superior Firepower
    Security Through Strength

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give it to those who would not"

Thomas Jefferson

Freedom is found only in self reliance

Layoutshooter

9. 19,441536,47676,9

Quote Originally Posted by cheri1122 View Post

Doesn't matter how carefully my freight is secured or my driving is, if the other guy is reckless.
    Like the FedEx Freight truck pulling doubles in the [prohibited] left lane last night - nearly caused an ambulance [with lights & siren] to wreck - silly emergency driver thought the big truck would move to the right, but he didn't.
    Cheri, I wasn't addressing the other driver, I was addressing the idea that hazmat loads are inherently dangerous. I fully understand the issue you speak of and you know by now that I think a lot of drivers should not be on the road. I think I mentioned the Smith System here, so that is an addition thing for someone to become a better professional driver.

11. 20,441602,47676,9

My point was that hazmat is higher risk if an accident occurs, and not even the most careful driver can eliminate the possibility.
    I agree about the Smith System, but Drivers Education was one of the first victims of budget constraints - it just isn't that important, apparently.
    Not like, say, football, right?

DELIVERING THE FUTURE, WHATEVER IT TAKES.
    OOIDA 743749

13. 21,441609,47676,9

Greg, I did the smith system one time when I drove a big truck for JB Hunt. I thought it was one of the dumbest things I ever did to hire on to a company.

Some of the things it was wanting you to do is drive in the second lane from the right even thou you were driving under the speed limit, stopping 15 feet before the white line whether it was a signal or a stop sign not smart in my book. most of the other things were just common since things you learned in a car.

15. 22,448789,47676,9

Even if you never use it the companies you deal with will hire you faster and above someone who doesn't have it. It's not just that you have a Hazmat endorsement but you also helped them with a background check.

17. 23,448859,47676,9

Too much money and a pain in the *** to get it from D.M.V. for loads shippers and brokers dont want to pay enough to haul unless you haul it allot and get paid top dollar to pull it. As for the comment of helping the shippers or brokers do thier job with back ground checks they should do the leg work thats why they get a commision of twenty to fourty percent that we drivers should get in the first place.

19. 24,448870,47676,9

So here is the thing, how much does it cost?

$125 and some time?

Take that over the four or five yours your license is good for, and that's $25 a year?

As far as the Smith system, it actually helps. Sorry if it didn't help you but I know many do need lessons on how to drive other than tailgating and then running into the back of a truck or car because they didn't have a way out.

21. 25,448890,47676,9
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12