ExpeditersOnline.com
Try Hours
Bolt Express

Thread: non cdl truck?

non cdl truck?

i thought trucks over 10k needed to log and thus were cdl trucks. i also know that you can get a truck from penske that is non cdl. in the classifieds here i find two trucks that are non-cdl. one is a box and the other has a sleeper and a box. when does a box truck become a cdl required vehicle?

thanks

Jack Berry

jack berry & gracie berry
    2008 ford e-350 hcv
    ooida member 889111

"the cure for rejection is-being able to see yourself as God sees you. It means announcing, "I am what God says I am, I have what God says I have, therefore, I can do what God says I can do". So even if you didn;t get off to a good start, you can still have a great finish"-Bob Gass

http://www.expeditersonline.com/foru...r-threads.html

http://www.expeditersonline.com/foru...n-threads.html

2. Sprinter and Cargo VAns
    Nations Express
    Nations Express has an immediate need for single and team cargo vans owner operators! Drive for a company that treats you with the respect you deserve and will get you the miles you want! Nations Express strives to make you a successful truck owner by listening to the driver and owners. We have an open door policy that lets you have a true say in the events and issues facing an owner operator, a fleet owner and drivers today. We Offer: No Forced Dispatch Weekly Settlements Trip Pak and Transflo Scanning Satellite Communications 24 Hours Dispatch Company Paid Fuel Taxes Paid Dead Head Miles Com Data Fuel Card Mileage Bonus Safety Bonus Tire Program Fuel Discounts No Truck Age Requirement Rider Program No Pet Restrictions Paid Cargo Insurance And most of all we offer you respect and the chance to become not just a driver leased to a company but a true partner in success!

3. 1,201864,24852,9

RE: non cdl truck?

When the GVW is 26001 lbs
    Quit trying so hard to be offended
    Credit for a correct looking response when using the Quote function belongs to an unnamed, but very articulate member of our forum, Thank-you

5. 2,201865,24852,9

Jack: Here's the regs:

The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Class C -- Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Many of the expedite carriers put HAZMAT on trucks that are less than 10,001 GVWR; therefore, the driver must have a minimum class C CDL with an H or HAZMAT endorsement. When carrying HAZMAT the driver must log and comply with HOS. This applies also if truck is over 10,000#.

Another non-CDL vehicle is one used for personal use and not for the transport of people or freight for hire. A Penske rental to move your household stuff would be non commercial, but if you leased a rental truck to a commercial carrier, the truck and the driver would be subject to the federal comm'l vehicle regs.
    Terry and Rene'

Cargo Van Owner/Operators.
    FedEx Custom Critical 1989 - 2008

7. 3,201866,24852,9

So as per the regs, the hot shot idiot who passed me this morning flying down the freeway at 80 plus with 5 cars on his trailer needs a class A?

9. 4,201867,24852,9

thanks terry.

i brought this up at break with one of the other load planners. he said if it was a truck to do commercial frt hauling then a cdl would be required. these ads make it sound like no cdl is needed to move freight.

Jack Berry

2008 ford e-350 hcv
    ooida member 889111

"the cure for rejection is-being able to see yourself as God sees you. It means announcing, "I am what God says I am, I have what God says I have, therefore, I can do what God says I can do". So even if you didn;t get off to a good start, you can still have a great finish"-Bob Gass

11. 5,201868,24852,9

If the truck is 26,000 lbs. or under you do not need a cdl to haul freight. I ran a 25,500 lbs straight truck with air brakes for a company about 4 years ago. No cdl needed, just a medical certificate and a log book.

13. 6,201869,24852,9

Fastrod:

As indicated above, No CDL needed UNLESS the truck is hauling placarded HAZMAT. Any driver of a truck under 26,000 hauling placarded HAZMAT must have a CDL with HAZMAT endorsement.
    Terry and Rene'

Cargo Van Owner/Operators.
    FedEx Custom Critical 1989 - 2008

15. 7,201870,24852,9

YOU DO NOT NEED A LOG BOOK IF YOU DRIVE WITHIN A 150 AIR MILES OF WHERE YOU STARTED,AND YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE A AIR BREAK ENDOR FOR ANY TRK UNDER 26,000.ACCORDING TO THE GOOD D.O.T. FOLKS HERE IN MARYLAND.

17. 8,201871,24852,9

thanks folks

Jack Berry

2008 ford e-350 hcv
    ooida member 889111

19. 9,201872,24852,9

>YOU DO NOT NEED A LOG BOOK IF YOU DRIVE WITHIN A 150 AIR
    >MILES OF WHERE YOU STARTED,

That may be true in certain states - but the DOT regulation is 100 air miles (115 "normal" miles) and not more than 12 hours from starting work at your "terminal" to going off duty at that same terminal. I drive mostly in New England and rarely log.

21. 10,201873,24852,9

>So as per the regs, the hot shot idiot who passed me this
    >morning flying down the freeway at 80 plus with 5 cars on
    >his trailer needs a class A?
    I'd say a 5 car load definately requires a Class A . Some 3 car haulers try to run under 26,000 but they're pushing it .

23. 11,201874,24852,9

Up here in Ontario those car haulers with 3 car trailers are supposed to have a class A as the towed vehicle and the dually pickup is enough weight.

Also of minor note you know those 5th wheel travel trailers? Well the guys with dually pickups and those real big 5th wheel trailers are also supposed to have class A. I met a DOT officer who was giving the holiday crowd notices to upgrade their licence or receive a ticket for not being properly lic'd (bet that was a shock to most).

Rob Fis

25. 12,201875,24852,9

If they are towing their own personal fifth wheel trailer and not for commercial transport then a CDL is not required no matter how heavy it is. CDL is COMMERCIAL drivers license.

If a private truck and trailer is stopping at the scales then they are nuts anyway. They need to read the signs.

27. 13,201876,24852,9