ExpeditersOnline.com
Try Hours
Bolt Express
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TRIP LEASE

TRIP LEASE

Does anyone know what a trip lease is or how it works?

2. Owner Operators - Vehicles of all sizes!
    Premium Transportation Logistics
    Explore the Premium opportunities available by leasing on to Premium Transportation Logistics LLC. We are a well established 10 year old Expedite and Truckload Carrier. PTL LLC offers our drivers above average pay, premium support services and premium freight. Our drivers appreciate fast settlements (no holdback week), our helpful dispatch team and that our doors are always open to drivers. Call one of our recruiters today at 1-800-661-3166 option 3 for additional detials. Feel free to make an appointment to visit us prior to signing on.

3. 1,194641,24017,9

RE: TRIP LEASE

I think from what I've read ...this is a lease between an operator and a carrier to carry cargo on a scheduled trip.....

I'm not sure if it is a one-time deal or an ongoing agreement...

I think it spells out what the carrier requires of the operator relating to that particular trip/cargo/truck ...

Maybe somebody else can elaborate ????

Frank

"The Beast in the East":)

5. 2,194642,24017,9

In general, a load that is hauled through a broker.
    You may be running under your carriers authority or have your own.
    Also, it can be a single load or a daily run.
    Davekc
    fleet owner
    29 years
    Panther & Load One

7. 3,194643,24017,9

Per "The Trucker's Place - glossary" (Geocities):

Trip Lease - A one trip only lease.

Trip Lease Operators - Owner operators who haul for a different carrier or broker each trip.

Per allcovered.net - OCEAN & TRANSPORT TERMS:

Trip Lease - Leasing a company's vehicle to another transportation provider for a single trip.

Amazing what you can find on a google search...hope this covers it for ya... :)

Loose

9. 4,194644,24017,9
    Moderator Emeritus

A trip lease is exactly what it says.It is a lease of your equipment and driver(s) for one trip only. At one time you could also purchase trip insurance for one trip. This was a good deal which would allow you to freelance so naturally it went away but I think you can get insurance for a single trip through a broker.

11. 5,194645,24017,9

Trip leases are mainly used for backhauls . You pay the broker or carrier that has the load then if you have a permanent lease , your carrier takes a percentage of that which doesn't leave much for you . Trip leases are usually a way to avoid deadheading out of an area your carrier can't get a load from.

13. 6,194646,24017,9

Re: TRIP LEASE

Hi.. I am looking for an online printable trip lease agreement between me (driver) & my employer. It's a small company with only 4 trucks. We're interstate in Oklahoma. Thanks!

15. 7,364648,24017,9

Sorry but you need a lawyer to actually write up a solid contract for you. You don't want a legal zoom cheap solution for this, there are too many issues with it.

17. 8,364670,24017,9

As others have said (they obviously know from experience) trip lease is a pretty simple procedure. davekc's answer was probably the closest and it covers about all the angles.

senario:
    youd like to get home and your carrier cant help you out
    you then find a load on your own thru whatever source
    you then find a load and agree to take it
    you then drive to Pilot (or any other truck stop)
    you go inside and grab a trip lease form at the Keller section (by the log sheets)

Basically your done. Go to pickup and fill out the form.

lawyer?? what a friggen joke.

How do I know this info about trip leases ? Because ive personally done it. No MEGA b.s.

19. 9,364731,24017,9

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyD View Post
    Hi.. I am looking for an online printable trip lease agreement between me (driver) & my employer.
    There's no frickn'n joke about employee contracts, if he was a contractor, yes it is simple but not as an employee - different rules/different contract.

21. 10,364738,24017,9

Hes an employee, I get that part. Employee with his own or company truck?
    Were talking Trip Leases not driver contracts.
    Trip leases are standardized forms and can be used by employees and contractors.

23. 11,364747,24017,9

Yes, we are going to a contractor basis. I have worked this way in the past, but I have thrown the document away. I need a driver contract. Will be working on a % of gross, no out of pocket money for me . The document I signed before was a driver trip lease agreement, stating I was a driver only working on %.
    Thanks.

25. 12,365026,24017,9

There is a difference in doing a broker load and trip lease.For those that do trip leases,they are actually leasing their truck to that certain carrier for a one time load.Back in the day that was only permitted to get you back home.Not to often will you run into a trip lease these days.
    Broker loads are what you find now,and that company your doing business with is called a property broker.He has the freight,and needs trucks to haul it,so he posts these loads on a load board,of which then a company that has the authority,insurance and such,then bids on the loads.
    You can partner with many companies,and try to run their over flow freight,but don't expect to get the cream of their loads.They are usually posting the loads they feel their own trucks either won't or can't cover.The can't cover loads will be at a better rate,just their own trucks aren't in the right area for an on time pick up

Owner Opp:
    Roberts Express 1984
    Fedex Custom Critical
    TriState Exp Services
    and now
    Leased to Colonial Freight Systems Inc
    Steve Gilbert
    OOIDA 263839

27. 13,365101,24017,9

Quote Originally Posted by nightcreacher View Post
    Not to often will you run into a trip lease these days.
    I agree and since deregulation I can't think of a reason for someone to trip lease.

Prior to deregulation I drove for a small company that had limited authority, they could only haul paper products. If they couldn't find a backhaul that was paper related, I would trip lease to a 48 state general commodities carrier.

Most large truck stops were infested with broker/agents who did nothing but trip leases. I would present my driver's license, truck registration, insurance certificate and sign a lease. They in turn gave me a couple of cheesy paper signs with the carrier's name and ICC number, necessary permits and bingo cards. Off to the shipper I would go as a leased truck to that particular carrier.

After the load was delivered the lease was terminated, the signs, or what was left of them, and all paperwork and permits were mailed to the carrier's main office. Of course both the agent and the carrier got a chunk of the pie.

With operating authority easily available to any goober with 600 or 700 dollars why would anybody trip lease?

14wheeler why do you trip lease? Am I missing something here?

"I guess that is why I enjoy expediting. Kinda like standing in front of a giant roulette wheel." davekc

"I wonder why I'm not quoted at the bottom of Moot's posts?"
    Highway Star

"Shane runs 70 PSI all around." scottm4211

"Embrace the mundane." mrgoodtude

"I think, therefore I van". Mouton Descrouton

29. 14,365126,24017,9

Use to be a monthly thing 10 plus years ago. All that's changed.
    If time is more important than revenue & I gotta git. Then ill trip lease. Last year four or five times. Just did one last month from Dallas to Atlanta. This year keeps up like it is. Wont be doing many I hope. When I gotta move I gotta move.

31. 15,365147,24017,9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast