ExpeditersOnline.com
Try Hours
Bolt Express
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pallet Grabber

Pallet Grabber

I read in the news article in today's edition of EO that a Sprinter dealer offers a Sprinter ready to go. Among some of the goodies offered is a pallet grabber, ratchet, and tow straps. What is a pallet grabber, what are the ratchet and tow straps used for?
    Drive Carefully
    theoldprof
    Retired Panther Van O/O
    Retired Assistant Professor
    Retired Toolmaker

2. Top Dollar Rates 22'/24' Premium Transportation Logistics Straight Trucks!!
    Premium Transportation Logistics
    Explore the Premium opportunities available by leasing on to Premium Transportation Logistics LLC. Our reputation as an Expedite and Truckload Carrier since 2003 speaks for itself. PTL LLC offers our drivers premium pay, premium support services and premium freight. Our drivers appreciate fast settlements (no hold back week), our helpful dispatch team and a support system that is second to none. Call Brian today 800-661-3166 for additional details. Feel free to make an appointment to visit us prior to signing on.

3. 1,192282,23709,9

RE: Pallet Grabber

Good questions, 1st pallet grabber is a clamping device used to lock onto the base of the pallet and drag out of your truck to the back so they can then forklift pallet out of truck or manually unload. Ratchet straps are used to secure your freight. This is very..very..important! Never move vehicle without securing freight. The tow strap is in case you get hung up in docks ice, mud, etc. Hope this helps. And again thanks for the question. Drive safe and be profitable!

5. 2,192283,23709,9

Thanks Glen. The article mentioned ratchet and tow straps. If I had read closer, my brain would have said ratchet straps and tow straps. I know what ratchet straps are, as I have a couple that I use on my utility trailer. I appreciate your concern. I have read some horror stories in this site. My philosophy is the same as a guy mentioned earlier: If your truck rolls over, the load should still be hanging from the floor. The use of a tow strap is a no brainer. I thought the tow strap was used somehow to load/unload or secure the freight. How is the pallet grabber used? Is it hooked to the forklift somehow? Thanks again. :+ :+
    Drive Carefully
    theoldprof
    Retired Panther Van O/O
    Retired Toolmaker

7. 3,192284,23709,9

Oldprof,

here's a pic of one.. they operate just like the old toy grabbers they used to sell when I was a kid! They 'scissor' out, then when they clamp on, as long as there is pressure being applied to the ends, (ie.. the chain being pulled by the forklift).. the jaws keep gripping. The harder they're pulled, the harder they grip.

You clamp the jaws onto a solid upright on the pallet.. then,usually you'll have a 10 foot chain(or a tow strap) to hook on to the attached chain, run that out and hook on to the forklift. Forklift backs up... pallet slides to end of van, unhook, forklift comes back in and picks up pallet.

Dreamer

Reading the Soapbox...

Have a Sprinter Van? Please check out our sister site MySprinterVan.com

9. 4,192285,23709,9

Oldprof:

Here's an alternate method that we use. We use Baltic Birch plywood on our van floor 'cause it's surface is smoother than the cheaper pine or fir plywood. Coating the surface with urethane serves two purposes. It allows you to keep the floor cleaned of dirt and grease. More importantly, this floor allows us to move an inner pallet to the rear without the aid of mechanical devices such as grippers, chains or tow straps. The secret: we spray silicone lubricant onto the fuzzy side of rubber door mats (home depot) and have each pallet set on four pieces of these mats. The combination of the smooth floor and siliconized mats allows Rene' to push or pull a 1000# pallet with apparent ease, much to the surprise of many a towmotor operator.
    Terry and Rene'

Cargo Van Owner/Operators.
    FedEx Custom Critical 1989 - 2008

11. 5,192286,23709,9

Terry,

What is the stuff you spray them with? Are you talking like, Armorall, or what?

Also, how do you get them lined up.. just set them in the van and ask the forklift driver to set the skid on them?

I'm trying to get a picture in my head.. but I guess 4 regular door mats would be almost the same size as a skid....

Dreamer

Reading the Soapbox...

13. 6,192287,23709,9
    Moderator Emeritus

Well I must say this.My good friend Terry mentioned on a post a long time ago about my method of removing placards which put a nice triangular soot mark on the box.
    I think it was about 3 years back when a pallet wasn't secured in a certain B Unit operating out of MO that somehow or ever it,upon acceleration it almost went through the back door. I Think it was in Jackson TN.
    Perhaps Terry may want to enlighten us on why it happened..Nuff Said. LOL

15. 7,192288,23709,9

You can buy these pallete grabbers from Grainger. about 65 bucks.
    when I was a young buck they were called "Ice Tongs" The ice man came around once or twice a week ond filled your "Ice Box".Anybody remember?(There I go giving my away my age).

http://www.grainger.com/production/info/ww-granger.htm

FedEx CUSTOM CRITICAL / ROBERTS EXPRESS 1988 - 2014 Retired

17. 8,192289,23709,9

>Dreamer

Here's the stuff I used but there are other brands.

http://www.gunk.com

The mats I use are thick rubber with a fuzzy top surface and non-skid bottom. I cut them in four pieces and set them fuzzy, siliconized side down where I think the skid or other object will be. On occasion I'll position some of them as the skid is lowered into van. Three pieces arranged triangularly work great for a 55 gal drum. I can easily slide that drum anywhere. I always use load bars fore and aft and strap everything. The slickness encourages good securement practices. These mats are also good for cushioning sensitive stuff such as a recent computer load we carried.

Now to RichM's comment:

My second van was a 92 ford with windows in the rear doors. I had a regular plywood floor without the above system and always used a chain attached from the skid to the forklift to drag heavy loads from fore to aft. On one occasion in Jackson, TN, I had two 55 gal drums banded to a pallet. before the forklift came, I cleverly decided to move a load bar to the rearmost position, close the rear doors, accelerate jackrabbit fashion and cause the skid to slide to the rear. This method worked great to get the skid to the rear; however, the tops of the drums went thru my rear windows. this idiotic episode left the nearby folks agape and left me with an expensive, out-of-service repair bill. There might be an incentive here for a new topic: :Stupid Ways To Get The Job Done"
    Terry and Rene'

19. 9,192290,23709,9

Thanks for the explaination!

As for the drum incident.. LMAO!!!!!!

I would have LOVED to see your face when you heard the glass break..

I bet you weren't laughin then tho!!!

Dreamer

Reading the Soapbox...

21. 10,192291,23709,9

A pallet grabber is used to pull the skids out of the van. Is there anything made to help pull the skids in? Do you have the helpful, friendly fork truck driver carefully push the skids up to the load bar? Or do you put the van in reverse and nail it? Thanks :+ :+
    Drive Carefully
    theoldprof
    Retired Panther Van O/O
    Retired Toolmaker

23. 11,192292,23709,9

>A pallet grabber is used to pull the skids out of the van.
    >Is there anything made to help pull the skids in? Do you
    >have the helpful, friendly fork truck driver carefully push
    >the skids up to the load bar?

Friendly or otherwise, that's how it's nearly always done.
    Terry and Rene'

25. 12,192293,23709,9

Is that better than the put 'er in reverse and nail it method? :+ :+
    Drive Carefully
    theoldprof
    Retired Panther Van O/O
    Retired Toolmaker

27. 13,192294,23709,9

Dreamer - You get one million bonus points for finding and posting a picture of a pallet grabber. Well Done!!! I spent years trying to explain to people what the heck a pallet grabber is.

When we were putting the package together with Griegers I absolutely had to make sure that we added a pallet grabber. Once again I had to explain what it was and that it can be purchased from Grainger. I first saw one back in the day at a delivery in Houston. The dude's forklift was too tall to get in my truck and the skid was in the nose. He got out the pallet grabber and a chain - and I was sold on the whole concept immediately. I'd recommend that everyone carry one just in case. They are one of the best inventions of the industrial age.... and they look cool too. Be Safe - X

29. 14,192295,23709,9
    LDB

I was at one shipper and their forklift had maybe one inch clearance to get into my truck. I'm in a D unit and was surprised how close it was. Don't know why they had one that tall for the loading dock. Looked more like one for putting stuff 3 stories up in racks in a Lowe's or something.

Leo
    truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    It's okay if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.

31. 15,192296,23709,9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast