ExpeditersOnline.com
Try Hours
Bolt Express
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Cargo Van Expediter Featured on OverdriveOnline

Cargo Van Expediter Featured on OverdriveOnline

Hauling Expedited - in a Nissan?

"You bet. Meet Morris Finley, Murfreesboro, Tenn.-based owner of the 2012 Nissan NV2500 high-top cargo van ... "
    Expediter 2003-2013. Straight truck. The husband half of a husband/wife team.

2. Tractor Trailer Dry Vans Needed
    Nations Express
    Nations Express has an immediate need for single and team tractor trailer drivers and owners! Drive for a company that treats you with the respect you deserve and will get you the miles you want! Nations Express strives to make you a successful truck owner by listening to the driver and owners. We have an open door policy that lets you have a true say in the events and issues facing an owner operator, a fleet owner and drivers today. We Offer: Sign On Bonus! No Forced Dispatch Weekly Settlements Trip Pak and Transflo Scanning Satellite Communications 24 Hours Dispatch Company Paid Fuel Taxes Paid Dead Head Miles Com Data Fuel Card Mileage Bonus Safety Bonus Tire Program Fuel Discounts No Truck Age Requirement Rider Program No Pet Restrictions Paid Cargo Insurance And most of all we offer you respect and the chance to become not just a driver leased to a company but a true partner in success!

3. 1,573231,56116,7
    There is a straight truck expediter being featured in december's issue as well. Not sure who as they wouldn't release it on Facebook.
    NEW Ride!

5. 2,573247,56116,7
    Saw a maroon Nissan yesterday in TX running with the Panther logo and lettering
    Dry roads and open skies,

21c

------------------------

Whether you are on one side or the other in any given issue, spreading false or exaggerated info as truth just encourages others to repeat it and believe it, fostering a further and greater misunderstanding of what the real issues may be.

Only takes a few seconds to check your facts.

7. 3,573344,56116,7
    I'm in the pond, standing on all your pennies

Re: Cargo Van Expediter Featured on OverdriveOnline

Last year, he says, “I turned $65,000” gross on “about 100,000 miles, with $18,000 worth in fuel.”

Where do I sign up?
    chefdennis and moose like this.

The Doppler Effect means red lights will appear to be green if you drive fast enough.

9. 4,573352,56116,7

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
    Last year, he says, “I turned $65,000” gross on “about 100,000 miles, with $18,000 worth in fuel.”

Where do I sign up?

What a DEAL!

Duty Honor Integrity
    Peace Through Superior Firepower
    Security Through Strength

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give it to those who would not"

Thomas Jefferson

Freedom is found only in self reliance

Layoutshooter

11. 5,573353,56116,7
    And therein lies the problem.
    Deville and chefdennis like this.

13. 6,573355,56116,7

nice looking rig !!! and i do like nissans, would consider it if it comes in the extended version, will have to look it up

15. 7,573357,56116,7
    The cab design might not them allow it to be as long as a sprinter. That long nose takes a lot of space.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

17. 8,573370,56116,7

Expediting: Singing the praises with Don Lanier | Overdrive - Owner Operators Trucking Magazine

Dont forget me fellas....I was the straight truck featured in there too....kinda proud of my company and our business.
    Don Lanier O/O
    OOIDA # 496634
    Professional and Safe every mile

Donkeys and Asses Screwing the masses since 1776

19. 9,573513,56116,7

Regular readers and commenters may well recognize the name “Don Lanier” from my own past reporting, chiefly the big Top Challenges feature back in August, and from his frequent commentary on various and sundry of the items we report on here at the OverdriveOnline.com. I got the opportunity to meet the former Home Depot company flatbedder and current expediter (pictured) via a chance phone call a couple weeks back now.

I’m at work on a feature covering the expediting segment of trucking. Knowing Lanier had a straight Freightliner leased with J.D. Logistics up in Michigan, I called Lanier to see whether he may be able to lend any perspective on the business only to find out he was sitting waiting to get load just 30 minutes or so from Nashville up in Springfield, Tenn.

He also was no longer with J.D. but had moved with the last few weeks to become a driver for a small fleet leased to Nashville-based DMW Expedite with hopes of buying his own truck in the New Year.

He was positive about both his new carrier as well as expediting in general. For those of you already part of that small but lucrative industry segment, does this sound familiar?: “It’s really varied, but it keeps things interesting,” he says of one of the chief attractions of the business. “Far more interesting than loading up with carrots and driving from here to Ohio, Ohio to wherever else. I did that with the Home Depot for almost four years. After you’ve seen that much lumber you start turning into a piece of lumber yourself.”

He ran flatbed for a long time out of the St. Louis Home Depot warehouse, then for another year “I ran curtainside,” he says, delivering plastic shelving products down into the Texas area. “That’s where I got my first taste” of what expedited loads were like, he says. “You had multiple drops. You’d go to Tyler and Odessa and San Antonio and Galveston – you’d open up the curtainside and say, ‘Here’s your product, one pallet, and hey, goodbye.’”

Few long waits for unloading, just quick drops and off you go.

“In expediting, you’re in and you’re out,” he says of his current operation’s similarities to that year of curtainside hauling. “I might sit there and wait 5-10 minutes” before load or unload, given the often critical nature of the freight.

But there are trade-offs. “Then your off to sit and wait in parking lots,” he says. “I know more about Wal-Mart’s parking lots than” most Wal-Mart management, he guesses.

Fortunately for him, as he prefers to space and relative peace and quiet of such places, compared to crowded truck stops, he can actually get into them with the straight truck, his current ride a 2007 Freightliner M2 106 that averages around 10-plus mpg per gallon, hauling typically less than 7,000 pounds of freight. It’s another attractive aspect of expediting for the individual or husband-wife team most content by themselves and with time to spend however they like. Lanier spends a great deal of his time reading books, or he might drive to a nearby movie theater.

In any case, this only really scratches the surface of the various plus-sides of the business. Have you ever thought about moving into the segment? What would be the most attractive aspect of it? Weigh in, whether you’re in it now or not, via this link to a poll on the subject.
    Don Lanier O/O
    OOIDA # 496634
    Professional and Safe every mile

Donkeys and Asses Screwing the masses since 1776

21. 10,573515,56116,7

Quote Originally Posted by layoutshooter View Post
    What a DEAL!
    I sure hope that was net 65k and not gross. Otherwise this guy might as well do something else.

65k-18k for fuel = 47k

47k - 10k a year in van cost (400k miles) = 37k

37k - 2k (very minimal maint.) = 35k

35k - 1.2 k (min. ins.) = 33.8 k

33.8k x .15 = just over 5k for self employment taxes = 28.8k

net per mile = .288 cents per mile at minimal costs or 553 per week or 2200 per month.

At that rate with all the assumed risk other than cargo insurance he might as well go do something else for a living.

23. 11,573987,56116,7

Quote Originally Posted by OHWC2012 View Post
    I sure hope that was net 65k and not gross. Otherwise this guy might as well do something else.

At that rate with all the assumed risk other than cargo insurance he might as well go do something else for a living.
    You could look at it that way. BUT, what do you suggest the 74 year old do to make that money? Seems like he likes what he does.

I love the part where he lost 1/2 of his produce business and he made a pivot and kept right on going. Love it!

25. 12,573992,56116,7
    Quote Originally Posted by OHWC2012 View Post

65k-18k for fuel = 47k

47k - 10k a year in van cost (400k miles) = 37k

37k - 2k (very minimal maint.) = 35k

35k - 1.2 k (min. ins.) = 33.8 k

33.8k x .15 = just over 5k for self employment taxes = 28.8k

net per mile = .288 cents per mile at minimal costs or 553 per week or 2200 per month.

The figures sound about right for an average.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums
    Christmas is the time when kids tell Santa what they want and adults pay for it. Deficits are when adults tell government what they want and their kids pay for it. ~ Richard Lamm

27. 13,574013,56116,7

Just think what you could make runnung a fleet like that!

I don't approve of political jokes--I've seen too many of them get elected.

29. 14,574073,56116,7

OHWC wrote:

Article said that $65,000 was Gross....Ahhh...not me....
    There are people in need of help. Charity is one of the nobler human motivations. The act of reaching into one's own pockets to help a fellow man in need is praiseworthy and laudable. Reaching into someone else's pocket is despicable and worthy of condemnation.
    --Walter E. Williams

"Idealism is fine, but as it approaches reality, the costs become prohibitive."

"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry."
    --William F. Buckley

"When dictatorship is a fact, revolution becomes a right."
    -- Victor Hugo

#252 Chevy Cargo Max

OOIDA Member, #934277

Part of the
    LOAD 1 CheerLeader Crew!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqD6uCWQDVc

31. 15,574128,56116,7
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast