ExpeditersOnline.com
Try Hours
Bolt Express
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Trucking's Operational Costs Continue to Rise

Trucking's Operational Costs Continue to Rise

Expediter 2003-2013. Straight truck. The husband half of a husband/wife team.

2. Premium Freight. Premium Pay. Premium Drivers. Percentage or Mileage Plans
    Premium Transportation Logistics
    Over the Road Straight Trucks Are Averaging $1.50 All Miles!! Try our new 70% program!! Explore the Premium opportunities available by leasing on to Premium Transportation Logistics LLC. Our reputation as an Expedite and Truckload Carrier since 2002 speaks for itself. PTL LLC offers premium drivers premium pay, premium support services and premium freight. Our drivers appreciate fast settlements (no hold back week), our helpful dispatch team and a support system that is second to none. Call Brian today 800-661-3166 for additional details. Feel free to make an appointment to visit us prior to signing on.

3. 1,566502,55662,7

Re: Trucking's Operational Costs Continue to Rise

Did you order the full report?

Looks like this is for Carriers.

" Fuel and driver wages (excluding benefits) continued to be the largest cost centers for carriers, together constituting 62 percent of the average operating cost in 2011."

Is this relevant to Independent Contractors who do not pay drivers wages and who receive FSC from their carrier?

Just asking before ordering the full report and subjecting my inbox to more spam.

Be a Hero, Be a Donor!
    FedEx DR Unit

5. 2,566513,55662,7

Quote Originally Posted by Humble2drive View Post
    Did you order the full report?
    Yes, I ordered the full report.

7. 3,566547,55662,7

as an o/o, you dont consider what you pay yourself as an operational cost of your business ?
    T N T
    Finally, home again
    Load One
    Trk. #3060, #3160, #3180, #3185

9. 4,566612,55662,7

you have to pay for a report to tell you this?.....just look around...everything is going up....BUT is your pay in proportion?....are you having to run more just to compensate?
    Drive less...Make more...$$$...

It's not how much you run,
    It's how much you run for... $$$

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.
    Thomas Jefferson

11. 5,566633,55662,7

Is this news? Or...

Costs have been rising for decades and I suspect that will continue.
    OntarioVanMan likes this.

Livin' the dream
    D unit O/O

13. 6,566637,55662,7

The average marginal cost per mile for 2011 was $1.71, the highest of the four years studied. After a sharp decline in fuel prices resulted in decreased industry costs between 2008 and 2009, industry costs have risen steadily through 2010 and 2011. Fuel and driver wages (excluding benefits) continued to be the largest cost centers for carriers, together constituting 62 percent of the average operating cost in 2011.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big rigs are expensive when you start running east to west and back on a regular basis.......wow

15. 7,566642,55662,7

Quote Originally Posted by highway star View Post
    Is this news? Or...

Costs have been rising for decades and I suspect that will continue.
    Yes....we all know that however based on the current rates of some carriers, they are pretending those increases don't exit.

I will say, even taking wages and fuel costs out of it, regulations, higher truck prices and maintenance costs are steadily climbing.
    fleet owner
    29 years
    Panther & Load One

17. 8,566650,55662,7

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite 1 View Post
    as an o/o, you dont consider what you pay yourself as an operational cost of your business ?

Of course; however, that cost is different from a Carrier who must pay their drivers a promised wage and benefits and also make their profit goal and pay themselves.
    I just pay me, myself and I and since I am non union I have had good success negotiating favorable pay rates during tough times.
    Also, as an o/o I am in a better position to control certain operating costs like maintenance and repairs by hiring myself at slave labor rates.
    purgoose10 likes this.

Be a Hero, Be a Donor!
    FedEx DR Unit

19. 9,566665,55662,7

Quote Originally Posted by davekc View Post

I will say, even taking wages and fuel costs out of it, regulations, higher truck prices and maintenance costs are steadily climbing.
    Yup... Instead of a muffler worth $150, we now have a "system" that's something like $15,000 or some such a crazy figure.

We need some hope and change!! I really hope that will change, but...

Livin' the dream
    D unit O/O

21. 10,566666,55662,7

Of course; however, that cost is different from a Carrier who must pay their drivers a promised wage and benefits and also make their profit goal and pay themselves.
    I just pay me, myself and I and since I am non union I have had good success negotiating favorable pay rates during tough times.
    Also, as an o/o I am in a better position to control certain operating costs like maintenance and repairs by hiring myself at slave labor rates.
    no, its not any different. you pay yourself a set wage per week. if you are smart, your business pays for your health ins. also, your business has to make a profit. granted, you can control some maint. cost by doing work yourself but your business pretty much operates the same only on a smaller scale.
    T N T
    Finally, home again
    Load One

23. 11,566669,55662,7

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite 1 View Post
    no, its not any different. you pay yourself a set wage per week. if you are smart, your business pays for your health ins. also, your business has to make a profit. granted, you can control some maint. cost by doing work yourself but your business pretty much operates the same only on a smaller scale.
    By using statements like "no, it's not" and "if you are smart" it appears that you believe that you have it all figured out. All of what you stated are business 101 options but not rules and different business owners have different goals.
    I do not need to pay myself a "set" wage, and I don't care to show a profit.
    Carriers don't often have those options. Especially if they are union, they are competing to attract more seasoned drivers or if they need to please stock holders.
    Why don't you just order the report instead of looking to school someone on your way of doing business?

Be a Hero, Be a Donor!
    FedEx DR Unit

25. 12,566708,55662,7

Driving out of New York City today, Diane and I saw a Werner big rig company truck stranded on the right shoulder of I-95, and pulled up as close to the tall brick wall as one could get it. There was no more than an inch between the left side of the truck and the right hand traffic lane.

Soon, a police officer would be along and he or she would likely order a tow truck to have that big rig removed.

It costs thousands of dollars when such a tow truck comes and drivers are not given a choice or time to find a better deal. Because the team in the truck were company drivers, their pay will not be affected. Had they been owner-operators, a good portion of the year's profits would be towed away with the truck.

When margins are getting tighter, the company driving option becomes more attractive.

27. 13,566717,55662,7

wasnt trying to school anyone on my way of doing business. i have never claimed to have it all figured out. spent the last 12 yrs. learning and will spend the next 10 doing the same. just making a simple observation on the way business in general is run and pointing out that the differences arent that far apart. i was simply making my statements on the fact you said you paid yourself. hence, leading me to think you paid yourself a set wage. my mistake, no harm intended.
    T N T
    Finally, home again
    Load One

29. 14,566718,55662,7

Quote Originally Posted by ATeam View Post
    Driving out of New York City today, Diane and I saw a Werner big rig company truck stranded on the right shoulder of I-95, and pulled up as close to the tall brick wall as one could get it. There was no more than an inch between the left side of the truck and the right hand traffic lane.

Soon, a police officer would be along and he or she would likely order a tow truck to have that big rig removed.

It costs thousands of dollars when such a tow truck comes and drivers are not given a choice or time to find a better deal. Because the team in the truck were company drivers, their pay will not be affected. Had they been owner-operators, a good portion of the year's profits would be towed away with the truck.

When margins are getting tighter, the company driving option becomes more attractive.
    I would tend agree. Even more so when looking at our fleet. The majority are all former truck owners. The upside is they have a very good working knowledge of what the operating costs are.
    Makes my job so much easier.
    fleet owner
    29 years
    Panther & Load One

31. 15,566721,55662,7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast