ExpeditersOnline.com
Try Hours
Bolt Express
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Gyms and Health Clubs

Re: Gyms and Health Clubs

Diane and I joined a club last week and used one of the locations for the first time yesterday. As it happened, the freight took us home and we used the gym closest to home. Under load, we have driven past a few locations and see that parking for straight trucks would be easy.

When we left our home club and walked back to the car, I said to Diane that this turns the road into an entirely different kind of place. Our sleeper is very comfortable and in some ways too comfortable. Now having the ability to go to a gym AND get a shower, we will be getting out of the truck more and working out more.

The shower thing is huge. There have been many times when we might have worked out in the truck or done something out of the truck but did not do so because we did not want to blow a shower. Now, we can do things out of the truck and then go to the gym for a workout and shower.

(Yes, we have a shower in the truck which serves us well in a pinch, but we seldom use it because when you do, you spend more time cleaning it than you do in the shower. A limited water supply forces short showers, and you then have to find more water, creating an additional task.)

We often avoid truck stops and park in retail areas instead. I can see it now happening often that we will make a delivery and head for a gym instead of a truck stop. With 1,700 locations in the U.S. and Canada, a gym will seldom be far away. We'll have to layover somewhere, might as well make it close to a gym.

Also, our quality of life on layover will improve. We've all been there. You deliver Friday morning and get a three-day weekend because your next pick up is on Monday. With these clubs, we'll be able to workout and shower three times in three days instead of passing time in the truck and/or doing other things that do not include a good workout.

Finally, you just feel better when you have a good diet and exercise routine going. Expediting is a great job but the irregular hours make it tough to maintain a routine of any kind. With 24 hour access and multiple locations, these gyms open a whole new world to us. That's exciting!
    Last edited by ATeam; 08-11-2012 at 11:54 AM.
    DannyD and twentyhigh like this.
    Expediter 2003-2013. Straight truck. The husband half of a husband/wife team.

2. Tractor Trailers and STraight Trucks
    Landstar Express America
    Landstar needs solos, teams, Straight Trucks and Tractor Trailers, Dry box and Temp control. Please contact 800-435-4010 or go to lease2landstar.com

3. 16,556094,54874,7
    Great post Phil.

5. 17,556168,54874,7
    Which gym did you join, Phil?

Jake
    NEW Ride!

7. 18,556175,54874,7
    I became a member of Anytime Fitness as soon as I started expediting, was one of the best investments ive made. I have never had to drive more then ten miles after a drop off or on a layover somewher..from Fargo to El Paso, they are everywhere.

Dont steal, the government hates competition. ~Ron Paul~

9. 19,556216,54874,7
    Quote Originally Posted by wvcourier View Post
    I became a member of Anytime Fitness as soon as I started expediting, was one of the best investments ive made. I have never had to drive more then ten miles after a drop off or on a layover somewher..from Fargo to El Paso, they are everywhere.

The first 30days is kind of stressful(your key fob dosent activate nationwide for 30 day) but you can still workout during staffed hours with your reciept. But after 30 days its alot more convienant.

11. 20,556220,54874,7
    Quote Originally Posted by xiggi View Post
    I joined anytime fitness a month ago. 24 hour access, showers and over 1900 locations and growing. Seems like most times i am within 15 miles of one but there has been exceptions. Right now i am at the pilot in youngstown oh. The nearest one is 30 minutes away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums
    Thats an exception not the rule...

13. 21,556224,54874,7

We are really interested in joining one of these fitness clubs. I searched the internet and there are so many choices and it is confusing. It looks like Anytime Fitness might be a good option since they have so many locations and we are all over the place. I would hate, though, to invest the money in a membership that will not meet our needs. From the looks of it, you can't trust the sales people at these businesses. I like the idea of a place being located in a shopping center for parking (although we are in a van now).

Phil, I imagine you and Diane did a lot of research before you made the investment. What club did you end up with? Thanks for this thread - it is so informative!
    India Hamner
    FDCC Owner/Operator
    Ref B Unit

How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?

15. 22,556233,54874,7
    When joining atf shop the price does vary. Often the newest have the best price.

17. 23,556235,54874,7
    Quote Originally Posted by wvcourier View Post
    Thats an exception not the rule...

That's what i said.

19. 24,556236,54874,7

I don't know what the big deal is about getting exercise. I walk EVERY morning. I walk to the bathroom, and I walk back. LOL!!!!!

21. 25,556264,54874,7

Bob Perry, The Trucker Trainer has been working with Snap Fitness to get deals for truck drivers and also gyms located in Pilot and Flying J's. Here is an article in Landline about this endeavor

Snap Fitness, Rolling Strong launch truckstop program | Overdrive - Owner Operators Trucking Magazine

Here is the link to Bob Perry's website:

http://www.snapfitness.com/rolling-strong

You cannot hang out with NEGATIVE people and expect to live a POSITIVE life.

One of the Team Run Smart Pros

23. 26,556281,54874,7

Quote Originally Posted by ihamner View Post
    Phil, I imagine you and Diane did a lot of research before you made the investment. What club did you end up with? Thanks for this thread - it is so informative!
    We chose Anytime Fitness for their many locations, private showers (most locations) and the overall attitude they presented. On their web site you will see advertised a free seven-day pass. You can try before you buy.

Discounts may be available through your health insurance company. We got that and an additional discount by paying for a full year. You will be obligated to pay monthly for a year anyway so we just paid for the full year and got the substantial discount.

We have only used one location so far but found it to be very nice, very clean and filled with modern equipment. Xiggi says he has been to other Anytime Fitness locations. Perhaps he can say more about what he has found.

Each gym is a franchise, so, much will depend on the local owner. The owner we visited with is well acquainted with the two founders of Anytime Fitness since their world headquarters remains in the same town in which they started the company and that is just a few miles away from him (Hastings, MN, near the Twin Cities).

He said the two founders could have cashed out of this very successful franchise long ago but have not done so because they continue to be interested in helping people. He spoke with other companies before settling on Anytime Fitness and opening his two gyms. He said Anytime was the only one that actually talked about helping people. The others only talked about the money.

He also talked about the requirement franchisees have to remodel their facilities every five years (new carpet, paint, etc.). Again, we have only been to one gym and it was recently remodeled and expanded. We will be interested to see what some of the other locations and older gyms look like.

Attitude was a big selling point for us. We don't need juice bars, gift shops, big swimming pools and ten thousand square feet of floor space. We need a clean, safe place to work out with private showers. The gym owner told us of a woman he signed up recently who was thrilled to realize that she would not have to buy new clothes to work out.

At the gym we visited, I was especially glad to see an old fat person using the gym. Each time we have been to the gym, there were only two or three people using it. They come and go without striking up conversations with others. It seems they are there to work out and that's about it. Very few people use the showers. Not living and working on the road like expediters do, they work out and then go home to shower.

All clubs have security in place, the owner explained. Member photos are on file and technology is in place to make sure only one person enters each time an electronic key is used. Video cameras record what goes on in the gym. The facilities are available 24 hours a day but are not staffed that long. I don't know if all gyms have them but I was surprised to see panic buttons available. They are buttons you can wear around your neck that summon the police when pushed.

It takes 30 days for your membership to populate to other locations. Our local gym owner, now aware of the disadvantage that creates for people like expediters, is talking with headquarters about getting that changed.

So far, we are pleased with our choice but we need to visit several gyms in various states to offer a final verdict.
    Expediter 2003-2013. Straight truck. The husband half of a husband/wife team.

25. 27,556283,54874,7
    Before going into a reefer truck. I put a treadmill in the back. It was so much easier to make self use.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

Fed Ex CC

Let's Keep The Big Wheels Rollin'

If you dont stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them

click here to see blog --- http://bigwheelsarolling.blogspot.com

27. 28,556284,54874,7
    Quote Originally Posted by ATeam View Post
    We chose Anytime Fitness for their many locations, private showers (most locations) and the overall attitude they presented. On their web site you will see advertised a free seven-day pass. You can try before you buy.

Discounts may be available through your health insurance company. We got that and an additional discount by paying for a full year. You will be obligated to pay monthly for a year anyway so we just paid for the full year and got the substantial discount.

We have only used one location so far but found it to be very nice, very clean and filled with modern equipment. Xiggi says he has been to other Anytime Fitness locations. Perhaps he can say more about what he has found.

Each gym is a franchise, so, much will depend on the local owner. The owner we visited with is well acquainted with the two founders of Anytime Fitness since their world headquarters remains in the same town in which they started the company and that is just a few miles away from him (Hastings, MN, near the Twin Cities).

He said the two founders could have cashed out of this very successful franchise long ago but have not done so because they continue to be interested in helping people. He spoke with other companies before settling on Anytime Fitness and opening his two gyms. He said Anytime was the only one that actually talked about helping people. The others only talked about the money.

He also talked about the requirement franchisees have to remodel their facilities every five years (new carpet, paint, etc.). Again, we have only been to one gym and it was recently remodeled and expanded. We will be interested to see what some of the other locations and older gyms look like.

Attitude was a big selling point for us. We don't need juice bars, gift shops, big swimming pools and ten thousand square feet of floor space. We need a clean, safe place to work out with private showers. The gym owner told us of a woman he signed up recently who was thrilled to realize that she would not have to buy new clothes to work out.

At the gym we visited, I was especially glad to see an old fat person using the gym. Each time we have been to the gym, there were only two or three people using it. They come and go without striking up conversations with others. It seems they are there to work out and that's about it. Very few people use the showers. Not living and working on the road like expediters do, they work out and then go home to shower.

All clubs have security in place, the owner explained. Member photos are on file and technology is in place to make sure only one person enters each time an electronic key is used. Video cameras record what goes on in the gym. The facilities are available 24 hours a day but are not staffed that long. I don't know if all gyms have them but I was surprised to see panic buttons available. They are buttons you can wear around your neck that summon the police when pushed.

It takes 30 days for your membership to populate to other locations. Our local gym owner, now aware of the disadvantage that creates for people like expediters, is talking with headquarters about getting that changed.

So far, we are pleased with our choice but we need to visit several gyms in various states to offer a final verdict.
    Some are alot better then others, alot of them are within walking distance of a Walmart( Burlington IA, Monticelo MN, Nitro WV, many others) the one in Fargo is directly across the street from Petro Stopping Center. Some in the smaller Towns and the one located in business districts you may have to Park and walk a little bit...but that could be a good thing. The showers are convienant, but truck stop showers are a little better, also B.Y.O.T

29. 29,556291,54874,7
    What does it cost to join one of these fitness clubs?

Sent from my PG06100 using EO Forums

Jim Joerger
    Truck #3215

31. 30,556305,54874,7
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast