ExpeditersOnline.com
Try Hours
Bolt Express
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Hidden Compartments in Trucks

Hidden Compartments in Trucks

Legislation is moving forward in two states (OH & PA) that makes it illegal to have hidden compartments in trucks, either in all circumstances or some circumstances depending on the language of the bill. The intent is to help make the world safer by denying hidden compartments to people who use hidden compartments to carry guns, drugs and trafficked human beings.

See this Land Line magazine report.

An aftermarket sleeper manufacturer once told me of a driver who had a hidden compartment built into his sleeper in which he carries a gun. The idea was to avoid detection in states where the gun would be illegal.

When we had our truck body built, we had a covered channel built into the front wall through which the reefer lines are passed. Does that qualify as a hidden compartment under this legislation?

What if you built into the floor of your sleeper a hidden compartment in which a small fireproof safe is kept for storing valuables and vital papers? Does that make you a criminal under this legislation?

Our Volvo truck has a hidden compartment built into the dash. There are no handles, screws, hinges or signs that indicate it is there. Volvo owners know this compartment as the fuse box. If these bills pass, would we have to make up a label for the fuse box saying, "Hey, Mr. Policeman, this is not a hidden compartment because this label tells you it is here?"

The Pennsylvania version of the bill does not say it is illegal to have a hidden compartment in your truck. A hidden compartment would only become illegal if you intended to use it for hiding illegal drugs, guns or for human trafficking. I guess if you have a hidden compartment in your truck, you will need to route around Ohio and think only good thoughts while driving through Pennsylvania.

For gun runners, drug smugglers and human traffickers, I can see where such laws will be a real problem. I mean if you can't hide your illegal cargo in a hidden compartment, what alternative is there but to give up your trade and seek legal work?

On the other hand, drug smugglers have been known to hide their drugs inside vehicle tires. Tires are not hidden compartments so maybe the smugglers will be OK after all.
    Last edited by ATeam; 05-18-2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Minor edit
    Expediter 2003-2013. Straight truck. The husband half of a husband/wife team.

2. Owner-Operators Wanted - Hiring in Most States!
    Premium Transportation Logistics
    Explore the Premium opportunities available by leasing on to Premium Transportation Logistics LLC. We are a well established 10 year old Expedite and Truckload Carrier. PTL LLC offers our drivers above average pay, premium support services and premium freight. Our drivers appreciate fast settlements (no holdback week), our helpful dispatch team and that our doors are always open to drivers. Call one of our recruiters today at 1-800-661-3166 option 3 for additional detials. Feel free to make an appointment to visit us prior to signing on.

3. 1,536964,53760,7
    As all Bolt/ Bentz owners know, there are a few hidden compartments built into their design also.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

5. 2,536969,53760,7

Re: Hidden Compartments in Trucks

Cant remember exactly, but we heard this discussed on landline now radio and there was some discussion about service locations in trucks. What we got from it was is if was put there to service part of the truck/trailer and not requested by the owner it was ok. Until the final wording is done though, one cant be sure.
    T N T
    Finally, home again
    Load One
    Trk. #3060, #3160, #3180, #3185

7. 3,536973,53760,7

Quote Originally Posted by ATeam View Post
    Legislation is moving forward in two states (OH & PA) that makes it illegal to have hidden compartments in trucks, either in all circumstances or some circumstances depending on the language of the bill. The intent is to help make the world safer by denying hidden compartments to people who use hidden compartments to carry guns, drugs and trafficked human beings.

See this Land Line magazine report.

When we had our truck body built, we had a covered channel built into the front wall through which the reefer lines are passed. Does that qualify as a hidden compartment under this legislation?
    Since you have to ask, yes, yes it does. But your INTENT will be discussed at length after your arrest and before your arraigned. Do you intend to smuggle something or hide something? You have an attorney present, so…. You have to answer the question. Do you intend to smuggle?? Just what are your intentions?

The point here is there are many ways in which persons find ways commit an act that is illegal where the law does not specifically address the METHOD for which the crime takes place. But without clear laws to catch those who INTEND to commit the illegal act it can be difficult to make an arrest with “intent” to commit the illegal act.

i.e Method; Rape is illegal. But can I claim someone is a rapist just because they own a lot of phallic items for probing?

Ohhhh, this if just FUN!!

9. 4,536975,53760,7

Those hidden compartments can also be used to deliver black magic baby's
    Thai police arrest man with babies' bodies for black magic | Reuters

also i think the green little book, is what tell tuck builders & owners how to build a truck.
    i don't know if states allow to regulate interstates trucks, CARB included .
    Moose.
    Holding a $ is holding a fast depreciated asset.

11. 5,536978,53760,7

Quote Originally Posted by Doggie Daddy View Post
    As all Bolt/ Bentz owners know, there are a few hidden compartments built into their design also.
    So if these bills become laws, do the Bentz/Bolt sleeper owners in question unhide their hidden compartments to stay on the right side of the law? Just how do you unhide a hidden compartment like that anyway?

These proposed laws are just plain stupid. There is not a single case of human trafficking, drug smuggling or gun running that will be prevented by the laws but many headaches will be created for truckers who build hidden compartments into their trucks for legitimate reasons.
    Expediter 2003-2013. Straight truck. The husband half of a husband/wife team.

13. 6,537035,53760,7

If the compartment is hidden, how is a law enforcement officer going to find it?
    Moot and moose like this.

www.demaristransportation.com

"And the people who love me still ask me
    When are you coming back to town
    And I answer quite frankly
    When they stop building roads
    And all God needs is gravity to hold me down"

-Alison Krauss

15. 7,537044,53760,7
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesD View Post
    If the compartment is hidden, how is a law enforcement officer going to find it?
    Was wondering same think, because they ain't getting my permission for a search!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    Tennesseahawk likes this.
    Roger, aka "the paid tourist"

OOIDA MEMBER

​tk#3116

17. 8,537046,53760,7

[QUOTE=Doggie Daddy;536969]As all Bolt/ Bentz owners know, there are a few hidden compartments built into their design also.

If there's a hidden compartment in my Bentz sleeper, it's hidden from me, too! Which brings up a question: what if this truck were found to have such a compartment, and that compartment were found to contain traces of drugs, or gunpowder, or other illegal items? It wasn't new when I got it, so how do they determine the source?
    Phil is right: the law is vague, and there's no compelling reason for it. Current law allows authorities to confiscate vehicles used in trafficking - if the law needs expanding to cover weapons, people, etc, then that's what they should do. Truck drivers may well choose to keep a significant amount of cash readily available for emergency use, and they have every right to keep it hidden from criminals who may break & enter the truck.

DELIVERING THE FUTURE, WHATEVER IT TAKES.
    OOIDA 743749

19. 9,537051,53760,7
    [QUOTE=cheri1122;537051]
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggie Daddy View Post

If there's a hidden compartment in my Bentz sleeper, it's hidden from me, too! Which brings up a question: what if this truck were found to have such a compartment, and that compartment were found to contain traces of drugs, or gunpowder, or other illegal items? It wasn't new when I got it, so how do they determine the source?
    Phil is right: the law is vague, and there's no compelling reason for it. Current law allows authorities to confiscate vehicles used in trafficking - if the law needs expanding to cover weapons, people, etc, then that's what they should do. Truck drivers may well choose to keep a significant amount of cash readily available for emergency use, and they have every right to keep it hidden from criminals who may break & enter the truck.

I'm right there with you. If there is some hidden compartment anywhere in our truck I have no clue as to where it might be. We also got this truck used and know nothing about the last people who owned it.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using EO Forums

21. 10,537066,53760,7
    If its a bentz, pull the cushions under the windows out when the bed is up. Theres places underneath and behind them

Melissa ~ Team Kephart @ Mayfield Express
    Commercial Driver since 1976. Older than dirt, somewhat wiser.

23. 11,537086,53760,7
    Quote Originally Posted by MissKat View Post
    If its a bentz, pull the cushions under the windows out when the bed is up. Theres places underneath and behind them

Melissa ~ Team Kephart @ Mayfield Express
    Shhhhhhhhhhh.

25. 12,537093,53760,7

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesD View Post
    It was talked about herewhen the FEDS were showing off their new toy a few months ago...I believe their "VIPR" roadside xray system would find them....
    There are people in need of help. Charity is one of the nobler human motivations. The act of reaching into one's own pockets to help a fellow man in need is praiseworthy and laudable. Reaching into someone else's pocket is despicable and worthy of condemnation.
    --Walter E. Williams

"Idealism is fine, but as it approaches reality, the costs become prohibitive."

"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry."
    --William F. Buckley

"When dictatorship is a fact, revolution becomes a right."
    -- Victor Hugo

#252 Chevy Cargo Max

OOIDA Member, #934277

Part of the
    LOAD 1 CheerLeader Crew!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqD6uCWQDVc

27. 13,537100,53760,7

[QUOTE=CharlesD;537044]If the compartment is hidden, how is a law enforcement officer going to find it?

The smart ones read EO too. [And they have Xrays]

DELIVERING THE FUTURE, WHATEVER IT TAKES.
    OOIDA 743749

29. 14,537104,53760,7
    LDB

Speak up Cheri, speak up. I'm certain you had something good to say so speak up. No need to whisper. This isn't a library.
    A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but the foolish man's heart directs him toward the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2 NASB
    ---------------------------
    It's okay if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.

31. 15,537109,53760,7
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast