ExpeditersOnline.com
Try Hours
Bolt Express
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: Us dot number?

  1. #1
    Member d_b1486's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    82

    Us dot number?

    I was running for a big carrier for 13 months and just got my own insurance and running for couple small carriers. One of the guys said I don't need usdot decals on my van when I asked him, so I get my first load and then driving on i20 earlier today and a state trooper pulls me over. So he asks where are my dot numbers? I said I don't need them. He said I do and also said I'm suppose to be logging, when I know that's not true. My question is do I have to have usdot when running for multiple carriers? With my own insurance. I drive a 2008 express cube van. Gvwt is 9600 registered with a "for hire" plate at 10k not 10,001. Thanks for clearing it this up guys


    Posted with my iPhone EO Forum App

  2. Tractor Trailer Drivers
    Nations Express
    Nations Express has an immediate need for single and team tractor trailer drivers and owners! Drive for a company that treats you with the respect you deserve and will get you the miles you want! Nations Express strives to make you a successful truck owner by listening to the driver and owners. We have an open door policy that lets you have a true say in the events and issues facing an owner operator, a fleet owner and drivers today. We Offer: No Forced Dispatch Weekly Settlements Trip Pak and Transflo Scanning Satellite Communications 24 Hours Dispatch Company Paid Fuel Taxes Paid Dead Head Miles Com Data Fuel Card Mileage Bonus Safety Bonus Tire Program Fuel Discounts No Truck Age Requirement Rider Program No Pet Restrictions Paid Cargo Insurance New 53 Foot dry vans And most of all we offer you respect and the chance to become not just a driver leased to a company but a true partner in success!
     

  3. 1,457217,48790,7
  4. #2
    Senior Member Brisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hurst, Texas
    Posts
    1,711

    Re: Us dot number?

    Were any citations issued??

    If so, logbook citation can be beat. Trooper is wrong on that issue.

    Not having decals displayed not so sure. Even guys running with 3/4 ton flatbeds down here in Texas have their DOT Numbers displayed, but they also have "Under 10K Lbs" across the bottom of their doors too. I'll look it up when I have time......unless Turtle jumps on it first.

    What state on I20??
    If it weren't for YOUR Ignorance......
    We very well could be the Best of Friends......

  5. 2,457229,48790,7
  6. #3
    Senior Member Dakota's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Us dot number?

    I think if you are running commercial you need DOT #'s
    and no you don't need to log
    Originally Posted by OntarioVanMan
    Because I am a Socialist Canadian Commie crud that don't know any better????

  7. 3,457232,48790,7
  8. #4
    Member d_b1486's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    82
    Thanks for responding. He didnt give a citation, only a warning about usdot number, not the logbook. He looked like a young guy probably new and doesn't know any better. But I'm not so worried about log, I know we dont need them. just wanna know about decals. That I'm not sure about.


    Posted with my iPhone EO Forum App

  9. 4,457236,48790,7
  10. #5
    Member d_b1486's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    82
    It was on i20 in GA.


    Posted with my iPhone EO Forum App

  11. 5,457237,48790,7
  12. #6
    Moderator Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I'm in the pond, standing on all your pennies
    Posts
    16,989

    Re: Us dot number?

    Unless you are a commercial motor vehicle (which you are not in a van unless you are hauling hazardous material which requires placarding), or are operating as a freight forwarder, or are a broker for a motor carrier, you do not need a DOT number.

    Go here:
    Registration & Assistance: USDOT Number/Operating Authority - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

    At the bottom of the box under HELP ME REGISTER, click the Step-by-Step Registration Guide and go through the questions. Other than picking the US as where your company is headquartered, all your answers should be NO.



    The Doppler Effect means red lights will appear to be green if you drive fast enough.

  13. 6,457244,48790,7
  14. #7
    Senior Member Dakota's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Us dot number?

    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
    Unless you are a commercial motor vehicle (which you are not in a van unless you are hauling hazardous material which requires placarding), or are operating as a freight forwarder, or are a broker for a motor carrier, you do not need a DOT number.

    Go here:
    Registration & Assistance: USDOT Number/Operating Authority - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

    At the bottom of the box under HELP ME REGISTER, click the Step-by-Step Registration Guide and go through the questions. Other than picking the US as where your company is headquartered, all your answers should be NO.
    Then why does every company van I see have a DOT#?
    Plumbers, electricians, rental vans,the vans in my area that haul the Amish around etc etc
    Originally Posted by OntarioVanMan
    Because I am a Socialist Canadian Commie crud that don't know any better????

  15. 7,457246,48790,7
  16. #8
    Member d_b1486's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    82
    Ok, so my for hire plate is not commercial? I don't count as a commercial carrier? Because the trooper pointed out my for hire plate when he was telling me this. Thanks for helping out big time, just wanna make sure I don't get some unwanted tickets.


    Posted with my iPhone EO Forum App

  17. 8,457251,48790,7
  18. #9
    Senior Member Dakota's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Us dot number?

    I'd go to that link Turtle posted and ask the DOT directly
    Good luck
    Originally Posted by OntarioVanMan
    Because I am a Socialist Canadian Commie crud that don't know any better????

  19. 9,457253,48790,7
  20. #10
    Moderator Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I'm in the pond, standing on all your pennies
    Posts
    16,989

    Re: Us dot number?

    I seriously doubt that every company van you see has DOT numbers on them. I can't recall seeing any company van other than one leased on with an interstate motor carrier having DOT numbers (unless the same company also has CMVs which require a DOT number and they just go ahead and slap 'em on the non-CMVs, too, same as Panther and lots of other carriers). Same with rental vans. Passenger vans might have to have DOT numbers if they haul passengers across state lines (depending on how many they haul), and/or transport students to and from school (depending on the state law).

    DOT numbers are for brokers, freight forwarders and interstate carriers, not intrastate plumbers, electricians and floral delivery vans that are not Commercial Motor Vehicles. Electricians, plumbers, pest control, they have to display their license numbers, but they don't need a DOT number. A Google image search for electricians, plumbers and other company (not interstate motor carrier) vans all show vans with no DOT numbers on them.


    Amish buggies with DOT numbers? Really?


    A license plate has nothing to do with your classification at the FMCSA, nor does it have anything to do with how much weight you can legally carry. In North Carolina, "for hire" plates are issued to any person, firm or corporation engaged in the business of transporting persons or property for compensation, including a wide variety of vehicles such as light and medium duty delivery trucks, cargo vans, charter buses, limousines, tow trucks, etc.



    The Doppler Effect means red lights will appear to be green if you drive fast enough.

  21. 10,457265,48790,7
  22. #11
    18K Member OntarioVanMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    33,464

    Re: Us dot number?

    A license plate has nothing to do with your classification at the FMCSA, nor does it have anything to do with how much weight you can legally carry. In North Carolina, "for hire" plates are issued to any person, firm or corporation engaged in the business of transporting persons or property for compensation, including a wide variety of vehicles such as light and medium duty delivery trucks, cargo vans, charter buses, limousines, tow trucks, etc.
    My commercial plate here does Turtle....a truck plate in SD we can chose from 3T and upwards...mine has a little sticker in the corner that says 5T.... IF I had elected the 4T sticker(no difference in price) and had a full load on I'd be over the sticker weight and be subject to a ticket. Keep in mind our state law..I am a commercial vehicle and subject to scaling only. Scale weight GVW is 8,000 Lbs here...

    Troopers often will confuse State laws for FMCSA laws
    Last edited by OntarioVanMan; 07-09-2011 at 08:25 AM.
    Drive less...Make more...$$$...

    It's not how much you run,
    It's how much you run for... $$$

    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.
    Thomas Jefferson


  23. 11,457278,48790,7
  24. #12
    Moderator Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I'm in the pond, standing on all your pennies
    Posts
    16,989

    Re: Us dot number?

    I may have worded that badly, but it was in reference to people confusing the GVWR on the door (or under the seat) of the vehicle and the weight listed on the license plate, and think the license plate is what matters most.

    If you had the those 4T plates and got weighed in Michigan, you wouldn't get a ticket if you weighed 8540 pounds. You would in SD, but not anywhere else. By the same token, I was parked yesterday next to another Sprinter and he noticed my 10,000 pound plates, and he said, "That's smart," and that he did the same thing with his so that he could haul the extra weight.



    The Doppler Effect means red lights will appear to be green if you drive fast enough.

  25. 12,457353,48790,7
  26. #13
    18K Member OntarioVanMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    33,464

    Re: Us dot number?

    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
    I may have worded that badly, but it was in reference to people confusing the GVWR on the door (or under the seat) of the vehicle and the weight listed on the license plate, and think the license plate is what matters most.

    If you had the those 4T plates and got weighed in Michigan, you wouldn't get a ticket if you weighed 8540 pounds. You would in SD, but not anywhere else. By the same token, I was parked yesterday next to another Sprinter and he noticed my 10,000 pound plates, and he said, "That's smart," and that he did the same thing with his so that he could haul the extra weight.
    I guess my 5T sticker I could carry that extra weight eh?
    Drive less...Make more...$$$...

    It's not how much you run,
    It's how much you run for... $$$

    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.
    Thomas Jefferson


  27. 13,457354,48790,7
  28. #14
    Member d_b1486's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    82
    So tk me so far seems like they are not needed. Still gonna call FMCS Dept on Monday and ask to be sure. Funny thing is, when I started with my other company last year, also on he first load I got, driving in NC already loaded on I77 N, when a state trooper pulls me over and asks for the usual. Then he asks for my log. I said we don't keep logs were under 10k, he said ok I'll hold on to ur info, pull into the next exit and then into the parking lot of the gas station, I'll performe a dot inspection.so I drive he follows, we get there and he opens his window kinda waives for me to come, hands me my license and BOL and stuff and said "your right u don't need logs, drive safe" that's was a funny situation.


    Posted with my iPhone EO Forum App

  29. 14,457385,48790,7
  30. #15
    Senior Member Dakota's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Us dot number?

    Quote Originally Posted by d_b1486 View Post
    So tk me so far seems like they are not needed. Still gonna call FMCS Dept on Monday and ask to be sure. Funny thing is, when I started with my other company last year, also on he first load I got, driving in NC already loaded on I77 N, when a state trooper pulls me over and asks for the usual. Then he asks for my log. I said we don't keep logs were under 10k, he said ok I'll hold on to ur info, pull into the next exit and then into the parking lot of the gas station, I'll performe a dot inspection.so I drive he follows, we get there and he opens his window kinda waives for me to come, hands me my license and BOL and stuff and said "your right u don't need logs, drive safe" that's was a funny situation.


    Posted with my iPhone EO Forum App
    Might be a good idea to put stickers on your doors and the rear of truck that say under 10K like Penske does. Because your driving a cube van officers might mistake you for a heavier truck.
    Originally Posted by OntarioVanMan
    Because I am a Socialist Canadian Commie crud that don't know any better????

  31. 15,457387,48790,7
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ExpeditersOnline.Com Copyright © 1999-2011 On Time Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
ExpeditersOnline.com © is a registered trademark of On Time Media, LLC

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2