ExpeditersOnline.com
Try Hours
Bolt Express

Deadhead miles. Paid?

Curious to see what straight trucks are earning for deadhead miles, and are they all paid?

I see many threads about FSC vs. MPG vs. D/H and compensation.

I know I'm about to ask a loaded question. However, based on what you know to be a company average, what do you feel is fair? I'm NOT here to share my rates or solicit. I am interested in your opinion.

When I was a O/O I had to give the 1st 50 miles away (practical miles). Then it was based on the current FSC and customer. I always enjoyed calling a broker for my own loads and they would try and pay me off "air miles". F@#*!
    John D. Clark, Jr.

J.D. Clark Logistics, Inc.
    Phone: 586-746-1345

Visit us at J.D Clark Logistics, Inc.

2. Dedicated Team Runs! Sign On Bonus
    Nations Express
    Nations Express has dedicated team runs! You can have a dedicated run in these lanes: Chicago to Miami Houston to Miami JFK Airport to Miami Routes pay to $1.70 a mile. Nations Express offers: Weekly Settlements Direct Deposit Com Data Fuel Card 24 Hour Dispatch Assistance Satellite Communications 2012 and 2013 Model Trailers Requirements: 21 Years of Age HAZ MAT Endorsement Acceptable MVR

3. 1,418294,45985,7
    The company that we just left paid us .39 a mile for DH from mile 1. I am not sure if all straight trucks got that but that is what we got. But fsc was also contracted at .19 per loaded mile, I guess should have been higher. Don't know this is what the truck owner and the company had agreed to.

We now are with a company that doesn't pay DH. But there is not much DH to speak of. If there is more than normal then they add it to the loaded mile fee. We are taken care of well at current company.

We are fairly new to the business, so no advise from us.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Tracy and Laura
    Truck 283

5. 2,418297,45985,7

Talking Re: Deadhead miles. Paid?

not going to tell, but could use a .25 per mile raise,
    Roger, aka "the paid tourist"

OOIDA MEMBER

​tk#3116

7. 3,418298,45985,7

Re: Deadhead miles. Paid?

I'm not a straight truck,and my fuel cost are much more than any straight truck,I'm writing this on my views of dead head pay,and it's the way I run my operation.
    1st off,if you were operating just running broker loads,there wouldn't be any dead head pay,not even fuel surcharge.
    The botom line of whether I do a load or not,has nothing to do with the dead head and FSC,it's all in the bottom line if the load pays what I need it to pay to make the money the truck needs.Also,when I accept a load,I know where its picking up,where it's going,and the area where I probably will get my next load.Probably is a very negative word,and in most cases I would say I know the area I'm going to reload,but in expedite,this is never a positive.
    Some of the companies make you give away 100 miles,some 50 miles and thete may be time you don't give away any miles.It still boils fow to bottom line all in pay,so worrying about dead head pay is the least of your trouble.In 1997 I one time dead headed 3150 to pick up a load that was only going 2400 miles.That load paid $14000.See what I mean

Owner Opp:
    Roberts Express 1984
    Fedex Custom Critical
    TriState Exp Services
    and now
    Leased to Colonial Freight Systems Inc
    Steve Gilbert
    OOIDA 263839

9. 4,418334,45985,7

I'm with you. I have a radius I will haul for. If it's outside the radius,the customer pays me to bring my truck back. My rates depend on region,weather,capacity,and rates. The way it has to be.

That understanding aside. Im looking at what most trucks recieve on average.

Good for you!! Keep us on our toes!!
    John D. Clark, Jr.

11. 5,418346,45985,7

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNCLARK View Post
    I'm with you. I have a radius I will haul for. If it's outside the radius,the customer pays me to bring my truck back. My rates depend on region,weather,capacity,and rates. The way it has to be.

That understanding aside. Im looking at what most trucks recieve on average.

Good for you!! Keep us on our toes!!
    I like that, now stick with it.

13. 6,418364,45985,7

97% retention, 7 years.
    John D. Clark, Jr.

15. 7,418382,45985,7

Nightcreacher wrote:

The botom line of whether I do a load or not,has nothing to do with the dead head and FSC,it's all in the bottom line if the load pays what I need it to pay to make the money the truck needs.Also,when I accept a load,I know where its picking up,where it's going,and the area where I probably will get my next load.Probably is a very negative word,and in most cases I would say I know the area I'm going to reload,but in expedite,this is never a positive.
    This is exactly how i do it...if everyone had enough insight to their own business and ran this way, we would see alot less people whining about rates and freight and FSC and DH miles...
    There are people in need of help. Charity is one of the nobler human motivations. The act of reaching into one's own pockets to help a fellow man in need is praiseworthy and laudable. Reaching into someone else's pocket is despicable and worthy of condemnation.
    --Walter E. Williams

"Idealism is fine, but as it approaches reality, the costs become prohibitive."

"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry."
    --William F. Buckley

"When dictatorship is a fact, revolution becomes a right."
    -- Victor Hugo

#252 Chevy Cargo Max

OOIDA Member, #934277

Part of the
    LOAD 1 CheerLeader Crew!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqD6uCWQDVc

17. 8,418396,45985,7

Chef,I believe if evreyone would do it this way,rates might stay more constant

Owner Opp:
    Roberts Express 1984
    Fedex Custom Critical
    TriState Exp Services
    and now
    Leased to Colonial Freight Systems Inc
    Steve Gilbert
    OOIDA 263839

19. 9,418423,45985,7

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNCLARK View Post
    97% retention, 7 years.
    That almost sounds to good for trucking. By the way I sent you a PM. I'll catch it when I get up.

21. 10,418431,45985,7