ExpeditersOnline.com
Try Hours
Bolt Express

What is the weight /class limit someone needs before obtaining a dot card

I have a question . I have had my own business , then stopped for a year ,then went to work as a company driver . I had to hang keys up for a ICD implant . and I miss driving . Can I still drive a cmv under 26 kg gcw before I need medical card . I have my cdl A. I can use my dot # and mc# (yes or no ) . Any help would be great . I know the whole in and outs of the business, and looking for work in NY is impossible . Thanks Joe

2. YOU decide your loads, your schedule, your home time with Landstar
    Landstar Express America
    As a "Business Capacity Owner" or BCO with Landstar, you control your business the way YOU want. You select the freight. You set your schedule. You decide on home time. At Landstar, owner/operators are compensated based on a fixed percentage of the revenue generated from the freight they haul. As rates increase, so does your compensation. Landstar is hiring Owner/Operators... Apply now!

3. 1,403741,44591,7

Re: What is the weight /class limit someone needs before obtaining a dot card

is an icd for your heart? i will go out on a limb and say if you have a cdl license, and drive a commercial vehicle, you need a medical card...but, if you can get one with a difibulator ( if thats what that is), it might be for 3 months at a time. they might require a stress test at the least. talk to a doctor about it.

5. 2,403750,44591,7

Here is the story ,, I had a heart attck in 2006 , took year off and then started driving again . This past January , I had the ICD implant , and according to the FMCSA391.41 once it is in you, your done . The problem I am having a hard time is trying to find work in the office areas doing ,safety, dispatch or running the office for someone ,but I am drawing blanks on were to begin looking for answers , I hit every job board . but no luck . I want to drive so bad ,(the itch to get back in the rocking chair is killing me), but I was playing the idea of doing hot shot work ,but don't know if there is a restriction limit for the dot card .

7. 3,403773,44591,7

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJoe10 View Post
    Here is the story ,, I had a heart attck in 2006 , took year off and then started driving again . This past January , I had the ICD implant , and according to the FMCSA391.41 once it is in you, your done . The problem I am having a hard time is trying to find work in the office areas doing ,safety, dispatch or running the office for someone ,but I am drawing blanks on were to begin looking for answers , I hit every job board . but no luck . I want to drive so bad ,(the itch to get back in the rocking chair is killing me), but I was playing the idea of doing hot shot work ,but don't know if there is a restriction limit for the dot card .
    The problem with that is you are going to need to lease your vehicle with a company, the only way I see is to get your own authority and go from there. but if you are operating a cmv and get pulled over by dot they will ask you for your medical card. so either way you will need to get a dot physical.

Its not a job, its a life style

Unit #231
    Tony & Sue

9. 4,403779,44591,7

have you tried looking into local courier work. If you are in a large enough city, all you need is a car, pick up or mini van...depends on company. this will get you in the driver seat, no dot restrictions, and home every night. just a thought.

11. 5,403790,44591,7

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJoe10 View Post
    Can I still drive a cmv under 26 kg gcw before I need medical card . I have my cdl A. Thanks Joe
    You have to have a medical card to drive a CMV under 26000 GVW. Now I am not sure about a van or 10000 and under. But I think you are talking about a straight truck 26000 and under.

13. 6,403797,44591,7
    I'm in the pond, standing on all your pennies

Any vehicle heavier than 10,000 pounds used in interstate commerce will require a log book, DOT and MC number, and a DOT medical examination card. Above 26,000 pounds and you'll need all that and a a bag o' chips.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Medical - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Part 391.41: Physical qualifications for drivers. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Part 390.5: Definitions. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

The Doppler Effect means red lights will appear to be green if you drive fast enough.

15. 7,403828,44591,7

Turtle , and others Thank you . I knew there was a number but I wasn't sure of the exact weight limit . I am in upstate NY and not many companies that run vans etc. I would look in to it , but is there any particular good companies . .I use to run with FECC , but had bad experience when they had me locked into working just Cali for 2 weeks straight and no loads .

17. 8,403844,44591,7

The Turtle is correct.

Here is a link to all FMCSA Regulations. It is always to your advantage to become familar with these regs rather than asking others.

Rules & Regulations - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Thanks,

HotFr8Recruiter

19. 9,403905,44591,7