ExpeditersOnline.com
Try Hours
Bolt Express
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Can you work for more than one company?

Vinnie.

A O/O that is leased to a carrier, can broker a load if carrier permits, and run under that carriers authority. Load insurance can cover more than one shipment at a time. LTL folks do this all day long as well as many expediters.
    In our case, if we put on more than one load, we have the appropriate insurance and the carrier is aware of what we are doing. Afterall, they are issuing the pro number, providing insurance, and collecting for that load.
    fleet owner
    29 years
    Panther & Load One

2. YOU decide your loads, your schedule, your home time with Landstar
    Landstar Express America
    As a "Business Capacity Owner" or BCO with Landstar, you control your business the way YOU want. You select the freight. You set your schedule. You decide on home time. At Landstar, owner/operators are compensated based on a fixed percentage of the revenue generated from the freight they haul. As rates increase, so does your compensation. Landstar is hiring Owner/Operators... Apply now!

3. 31,384026,42904,7

Quote Originally Posted by davekc View Post
    Vinnie.

A O/O that is leased to a carrier, can broker a load if carrier permits, and run under that carriers authority. Load insurance can cover more than one shipment at a time. LTL folks do this all day long as well as many expediters.
    In our case, if we put on more than one load, we have the appropriate insurance and the carrier is aware of what we are doing. Afterall, they are issuing the pro number, providing insurance, and collecting for that load.
    My main point is this. A O/O can run for more then one company IF, that truck is insured in some way shape or form under that carrier's policy he/she is running the load for. The carrier's customer assumes that truck is under their policy in case an accident or claim the insurer will pay it. If that truck is not under that policy, the insurance company will not pay the claim. The customer has a contract with the carrier, not the driver.

If you broker a load from someone, your carrier approves the customer and you will be insured under say Panther's policy. But they are self insured so thats a whole other situation, but it gives them much more flexibility.

Now as we both know to insure a truck, it costs that carrier money to do so (if they are not self insured as most small companies are not). Do we all think these carriers are insuring every vehicle that hauls for them? Would a carrier's insurance Co. insure a truck for a day? I outlined several ways that could be done and if one of those ways are not followed and there is a claim there is two recourses if the insurance company will not pay for it. Pay cash...or that carrier will be taken to court and found liable the the damages.

I think your focusing more on if a O/O can broker a load while being leased to a carrier if the carrier permits. I am focusing more on the topic of the thread.. O/O pulling for multiple carriers, not brokering a load through the carrier they are leased to as you describe. I worked with Wally at Panther, I know how it works LOL.
    Last edited by Vinnie T; 08-24-2010 at 11:10 PM.

5. 32,384035,42904,7

Just buy insurance from a third party which is basically trip leasing. That just pertains to the cargo insurance. The truck insurance can either be from a third party or the carrier. Our insurance isn't with Panther even though we a leased to them.
    Someone running for two carriers can do the same thing. One of the carriers would have to provide the authority but not necessarily the insurance.
    fleet owner
    29 years
    Panther & Load One

7. 33,384036,42904,7

Quote Originally Posted by davekc View Post
    Just buy insurance from a third party which is basically trip leasing. That just pertains to the cargo insurance. The truck insurance can either be from a third party or the carrier. Our insurance isn't with Panther even though we a leased to them.
    Someone running for two carriers can do the same thing. One of the carriers would have to provide the authority but not necessarily the insurance.
    So you have cargo insurance? Ok well your insured, that's good. You are more responsible then most! I have seen carriers do some shady stuff, most would be surprised who does stuff like I am talking about.

Is it contingent cargo or do you have a normal 100K policy? I didn't know you could get cargo insruance without an authority. Learn something new every day!

9. 34,384037,42904,7

You can buy separate cargo insurance or a supplement to the carriers coverage. Since you are familiar with Panthers, if a load is a high dollar broker load, you must purchase additional insurance based on the value of the load to haul it. I would remind people also that the load insurance they provide has a 10k deductible.
    Make sure you read the fine print in your lease.
    Last edited by davekc; 08-24-2010 at 11:37 PM.
    fleet owner
    29 years
    Panther & Load One

11. 35,384038,42904,7

I think we just answered the main question of the original poster and contributed to this thread in a very positive way. BTW that's called contingent cargo insurance. It suppliments the carriers policy your working with if their policy fails to pay the claim and most will if they do not schedule your vehicle under their policy. Some companies have what's called Any Auto and will cover all trucks that haul for them and is very popular if the carrier leases or rents a lot of trucks from lets say Ryder or Penske. That should cover you as well if they have that but I would double check with an agent to be sure.

So if your running for multiple carriers make sure they cover you under their insurance, or get your own third party policy. If not and you get a claim.... could get very ugly!
    Last edited by Vinnie T; 08-24-2010 at 11:42 PM.

13. 36,384039,42904,7

Way I understand this,not brokering thru the company your leased to but loads from different companies,which then you would have to have multiple DOT numbers,unless your in a van,or have your own authority

Owner Opp:
    Roberts Express 1984
    Fedex Custom Critical
    TriState Exp Services
    and now
    Leased to Colonial Freight Systems Inc
    Steve Gilbert
    OOIDA 263839

15. 37,384110,42904,7

Quote Originally Posted by nightcreacher View Post
    Way I understand this,not brokering thru the company your leased to but loads from different companies,which then you would have to have multiple DOT numbers,unless your in a van,or have your own authority
    As long as the truck is insured with cargo and liability by yourself or the carrier your hauling for is all that really matters

17. 38,384178,42904,7

you can only have one mc number on your truck. so unless you are using your own authority you can not have more than onecarriers freight at a time

19. 39,384189,42904,7

Quote Originally Posted by transporter View Post
    you can only have one mc number on your truck. so unless you are using your own authority you can not have more than onecarriers freight at a time
    One MC# on at one time. Those magnetic signs work well for swapping between companies.

21. 40,384199,42904,7
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123