ExpeditersOnline.com
Try Hours
Bolt Express
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Haz-mat regulations

Ok, question for y'all. For a sprinter/cargo van what are the rules and regs for hauling haz-mat?

I was told we could haul up to 1k#, I have also been told there are no requirements for us. Do we have to placard? if so for any? over a certain amount? Do we then have to scale? I have hauled "haz-mat" just twice and they were both a 55 gal drum of paint, however, had a friend call me the other day and he got a load and had 6-55 gal drums of something that was a "level 3". He asked for my advice and I didn't know what to tell him.

To make a long story short he took the load and did not placard and did it without incident but if he would have been pulled over what if any trouble would he have been in?

You frigin' people... you have no idea how to defend a nation. All you did was weaken a country today, Obama. That's all you did. You put people's lives in danger. Sweet dreams, son.

2. Tractor Trailer Dry Vans Needed
    Nations Express
    Nations Express has an immediate need for single and team tractor trailer drivers and owners! Drive for a company that treats you with the respect you deserve and will get you the miles you want! Nations Express strives to make you a successful truck owner by listening to the driver and owners. We have an open door policy that lets you have a true say in the events and issues facing an owner operator, a fleet owner and drivers today. We Offer: Sign On Bonus! No Forced Dispatch Weekly Settlements Trip Pak and Transflo Scanning Satellite Communications 24 Hours Dispatch Company Paid Fuel Taxes Paid Dead Head Miles Com Data Fuel Card Mileage Bonus Safety Bonus Tire Program Fuel Discounts No Truck Age Requirement Rider Program No Pet Restrictions Paid Cargo Insurance And most of all we offer you respect and the chance to become not just a driver leased to a company but a true partner in success!

3. 1,314308,37144,7

Re: Haz-mat regulations

If you may haul HM, it is extremely important that you know what the law requires. 'Hearsay' isn't going to help you, if faced by a DOT inspection, either - you need to know what the law says, not what other drivers say, ok?
    Best source is the manual "Hazardous Materials Compliance Pocketbook" available at your local truckstop.
    It's what you didn't know that'll bite you, and the bite in this case can be ferocious!

DELIVERING THE FUTURE, WHATEVER IT TAKES.
    OOIDA 743749

5. 2,314313,37144,7

I think both you and your friend have been poorly served by your Safety Depts [if any], and are risking a great deal, in consequence.

OOIDA 743749

7. 3,314316,37144,7

Quote Originally Posted by cheri1122 View Post
    If you may haul HM, it is extremely important that you know what the law requires. 'Hearsay' isn't going to help you, if faced by a DOT inspection, either - you need to know what the law says, not what other drivers say, ok?
    Best source is the manual "Hazardous Materials Compliance Pocketbook" available at your local truckstop.
    It's what you didn't know that'll bite you, and the bite in this case can be ferocious!
    Thank you Cheri for the information on the HMCP but do they also cover NON-DOT regulated trucks? I also thought that maybe other drivers might get some useful information from this thread. My saftey department is top of the line, can't say for sure about my friends, but during orientation the CV/SPR's were not required to sit thru the Haz-mat part. There must be a reason for this. Is there a bite and if so how bad?

You frigin' people... you have no idea how to defend a nation. All you did was weaken a country today, Obama. That's all you did. You put people's lives in danger. Sweet dreams, son.

9. 4,314318,37144,7

Quoting the abovementioned handbook: "Drivers are responsible for following the requirements prescribed in the HM regulations. Drivers can be fined for not complying with the parts of the HM regs that relate to them. A person who violates the requirement in the regulation is liable for a penalty of not more than $50,000 and not less than $250 for each violation."
    I hauled placardable HM in a CV with ConWay, and know that adhering to the letter of the law is critical - but you need to know the law to do so.
    I'm not willing to advise, as it's been a few years since I drove a van, except to say that the Safety Dept doesn't seem to have done it's job, since you need to ask. You can educate yourself, though, by getting the book and learning.

OOIDA 743749

11. 5,314321,37144,7

Thank you, your information has been very helpful.

So lets recap kiddies, don't start a thread that might help others, just get a book and keep your mouth shut.

13. 6,314325,37144,7

If 'hearsay' is what you wanted, there's no shortage at the truckstops - but if the info that can save your butt is what you need, I offered the best information at my disposal.
    How you use it is up to you, but the snide response was uncalled for, IMO.

OOIDA 743749

15. 7,314329,37144,7

Quote Originally Posted by cheri1122 View Post
    Quoting the abovementioned handbook: "Drivers are responsible for following the requirements prescribed in the HM regulations. Drivers can be fined for not complying with the parts of the HM regs that relate to them. A person who violates the requirement in the regulation is liable for a penalty of not more than $50,000 and not less than $250 for each violation."
    I hauled placardable HM in a CV with ConWay, and know that adhering to the letter of the law is critical - but you need to know the law to do so.
    I'm not willing to advise, as it's been a few years since I drove a van, except to say that the Safety Dept doesn't seem to have done it's job, since you need to ask. You can educate yourself, though, by getting the book and learning.

You are not willing to advise yet all of your posts are giving advise. I specificly asked for advise for CV/Sprinters and after several posts from you you then you say you can't give advise. I'm confused so should I get the book or not?

17. 8,314333,37144,7

Flattop: either you are deliberately antagonizing me, or you're too stupid to be driving a CMV.
    Which is it?

OOIDA 743749

19. 9,314335,37144,7

You can haul hazmat loads with a van, up to the weight that the van can legally carry. You need to observe all those rules that you had to study to get your hazmat endorsement, like stop at rr tracks, not go through cities, don't smoke within xx feet, keep the paperwork within reach while strapped by the seat belt
    If the load is heavier than 1000 lbs (i think it says 1001 or more) you need to placard, and of course log and scale.

Some shipping companies have their own rules and regulations. I went to pick up drum with 200 lbs of some paint and they would not load it on my van because there is no separation between the driver and cargo area. This was their rule.
    Last edited by aileron; 07-01-2009 at 03:51 PM.

21. 10,314337,37144,7

Make sure you sprinter or van can legaly carry the weight.
    If its explosives dynamite tnt u bet you plaq
    if its 1001 lbs or more ya betcha
    if its posion serine gass you better believe it.
    By the way flat since you drive a van if you got hazmat you better buy you a log book as you will need one when you cross the scales with that plaquered van.
    But if you ask greg or turtle OR LDB they can you the short and skinny about a van.
    Make sure you got the udated hazmat books.
    And check with your safety dept to make sure your got the hazmat permits and are compliant. And that you got hazmat on your license. Ok.
    Last edited by iceroadtrucker; 07-01-2009 at 04:07 PM.
    Taking out the Garbage is my Speciality.

Don't bother running, you will only die tired.

Ghost Rider

23. 11,314339,37144,7
    LDB

If your safety department does not have vans sit through hazmat I presume they never put hazmat in a van. If they do put hazmat in a van but don't have them sitting through that part of orientation I wouldn't call them top of the line. I can't offer specifics for van drivers other than I'd presume the placard requirements are the same 1001 pounds as for trucks. It's always a good idea to have the HM handbook on hand. That said, it's also good to ask questions on EO as long as you are willing to carefully review the answers and confirm through official sources before taking/using any of them.
    It's okay if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.

25. 12,314342,37144,7
    I'm in the pond, standing on all your pennies

If you have a HAZMAT endorsement, then you should know the rules already. If you don't have a HAZMAT endorsement, then you can't haul HAZMAT, anyway.

HAZMAT is defined as hazardous materials that must be placarded. If it's HAZMAT, but not in a placardable amount, it ain't HAZMAT, and you can haul it without a HAZMAT endorsement. There are some materials that are placardable only if they weight 1001 pounds or more, but at 1000 pounds or less, it's not placardable, and thus is not HAZMAT, and therefore you don't need a HAZMAT endorsement to haul it.

So, to answer your original question of, "For a sprinter/cargo van what are the rules and regs for hauling haz-mat", the answer is, the rules are exactly the same for Sprinters and vans as for any other vehicle, except that if you aren't placarded as a Sprinter or van (or station wagon or Prius), you aren't a commercial vehicle. If you're placarded, you're a commercial vehicle (and are instantly DOT regulated), and you must comply with all the rules and regulations of a commercial motor vehicle, including scaling and logging (and actually observing the correct HOS regulations).

I use the term myself, but there is actually no such thing as non-placardable HAZMAT, as in the case of the single 55 gallon drum of paint. I call it that, because it refers to material that is not HAZMAT, but would be if it were 1001 pounds or more. Now, there are HAZMAT materials that are placardable in any amount at all, even one pound, or one ounce (like plutonium, for example), but for the most part, few of those things can be carried in a van in the first place, because they must be physically separated from the driver (inhilation hazards, explosives, some poisons, etc.).

As for your friend, if he had been pulled over and was actually carrying placardable HAZMAT, he'd be in deep doo-doo, and so would his carrier. If you pick up something that has HAZMAT labels on the freight, check the BOL to see how it's labeled, and the weight. For example, a skid of 5 gallon buckets of HAZMAT paint will have HAZMAT placard on each bucket, but that in and of itself doesn't make it HAZMAT. If it weighs more than 1000 pounds it is, but if it's 1000 pounds or less it's not, and it should say whether it is or not on the BOL. If it's material that isn't placardable at less then 1001 pounds, and the BOL has the HAZMAT column checked, make 'em change the BOL to reflect the non-HAZMAT nature of the freight.

Not sure what "Level 3" is, it all depends on the UN# of the material itself. There's PG III (Packing Group), and there's Class 3, which is the flammable liquids. His 6 drums were probably Class 3 Flammable Liquids, and if so were almost certainly more than 1001 pounds. Most paint drums are in the 500-700 pound per-drum range, but some of the base paints and polymers are half that. But most of the bases and polymers aren't usually regulated, regardless of the amount (except for a reportable quantity in case of a spill).

In vans, most often the confusion over HAZMAT or not comes with paints, solvents and things like batteries (of which RLENT has a great story he can relate).

I highly recommend getting a HAZMAT endorsement, even if you never haul HAZMAT, or at least studying that part of the Driver's License Manual in your state and then taking the practice tests at Commercial Drivers' License (CDL) Sample Tests (an awesome resource). That way you'll know what you're dealing with, you'll know what's in the truck next to you on the highway, you'll know what to do and what not to do in case of an emergency, you'll know how to read the HMCP, you'll know lots of things.

The Doppler Effect means red lights will appear to be green if you drive fast enough.

27. 13,314345,37144,7

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle View Post

I highly recommend getting a HAZMAT endorsement, even if you never haul HAZMAT, or at least studying that part of the Driver's License Manual in your state and then taking the practice tests at Commercial Drivers' License (CDL) Sample Tests (an awesome resource). That way you'll know what you're dealing with, you'll know what's in the truck next to you on the highway, you'll know what to do and what not to do in case of an emergency, you'll know how to read the HMCP, you'll know lots of things.
    Thanks for the link. I've found a couple of practice hazmat exams on the web to refresh my memory before I have to renew my license. I'll add your link to my collection.

29. 14,314347,37144,7

Quote Originally Posted by flattop40 View Post
    Thank you, your information has been very helpful.

So lets recap kiddies, don't start a thread that might help others, just get a book and keep your mouth shut.
    What a childish response. What are you, 12 or something? Cheri's response was excellent advice. On a matter this important wouldn't you rather have the info come from "the" source, than from forum members who may, or may not, know what they're talking about? Or, is it just to much effort to find the info yourself? Did you do a forum search? You may be surprised to know that hazmat has come up before.

Livin' the dream
    D unit O/O

31. 15,314354,37144,7
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast