ExpeditersOnline.com
Try Hours
Bolt Express
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

weigh stations question

With driving a cargo van over the road, with company decals on it [(not plain van) ie: under the radar]
    which states require us to stop at scales?
    I have a '06 chevy extended 2500. CEVA sinage all over it.
    I do remember that Ky does not want vans on scales...

2. YOU decide your loads, your schedule, your home time with Landstar
    Landstar Express America
    As a "Business Capacity Owner" or BCO with Landstar, you control your business the way YOU want. You select the freight. You set your schedule. You decide on home time. At Landstar, owner/operators are compensated based on a fixed percentage of the revenue generated from the freight they haul. As rates increase, so does your compensation. Landstar is hiring Owner/Operators... Apply now!

3. 1,297982,35932,7

Re: weigh stations question

You will get different interpretations on this subject from knowledgable people. I have spent the last eight years driving an expediting cargo van, seven of those years my van was emblazoned with the roaring, two headed cat. I have never crossed a scale or entered a weigh station in a van. 700,000 or 800,000 miles driven with no citations.

5. 2,297984,35932,7

KY requires it, but seldom enforces. The pick-ups hauling heavy horse trailers, are the main reason.
    FedEx CUSTOM CRITICAL / ROBERTS EXPRESS 1988 - 2014 Retired

7. 3,297985,35932,7

Quote Originally Posted by redytrk View Post
    KY requires it, but seldom enforces. The pick-ups hauling heavy horse trailers, are the main reason.
    I do remember a prior post that was talking about crossing Ky weigh scales in a van, and driver was reamed by scale master. If my feeble mind remembers right driver was told that scales were set for 10,000 and when light truck/van drove across they had to recalabrate the scales.

Right now the only required stop is "AG check" in Fl. and border check in TX.

9. 4,297987,35932,7

As a resident of Kentucky, I pass their scales hundreds of times per year. Better I should say I bypass their scales. Never been an issue for me. I would have been busted by now if enforcement existed.

11. 5,297988,35932,7

I never stop at any scales anywhere, but I drive a window van without the advertising decals plastered all over it.

13. 6,297990,35932,7

The only time I go through the scales is when I have a hazmat load greater than 1000lbs and I need to placard my van. Otherwise I never go through. And will continue to do so until they pull me over for not going through.

When I switched over to FedEx they told me that Michigan requires us to go in, however I never did it.

15. 7,298018,35932,7

Only time I stopped was in Ohio....they had signs ALL DIESEL Vehicles must STOP....they were checking for dyed fuel...They were surprised I pulled in...Think they meant trucks! But they checked me whilst I was there.
    Drive less...Make more...$$$...

It's not how much you run,
    It's how much you run for... $$$

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.
    Thomas Jefferson

17. 8,298029,35932,7

Michigan has not yet reversed the confusin' what is a commercial vehicle regulations and they can pull you over and give you as ticket for blowing past a scale.

19. 9,298030,35932,7

Quote Originally Posted by greg334 View Post
    Michigan has not yet reversed the confusin' what is a commercial vehicle regulations and they can pull you over and give you as ticket for blowing past a scale.
    Deliberate ambiguity serves their purposes.

21. 10,298035,35932,7
    I'm in the pond, standing on all your pennies

Like Gregg said, Michigan law can be interpreted to mean anything over 5000 must scale. One statute says one thing, another statute says something else. I've never stopped at a Michigan scale.

Kentucky does not require it, I promise you. I'm also a resident of Kentucky, and after reading here on EO that Kentucky required it, a surprise to me at the time, I decided to check it out and had it confirmed both verbally and in writing from the State Police. Kentucky Revised Statutes use the verbatim wording of the FMCSA definition of "commercial motor vehicle".

Alabama law, as of June 27, 2006, does not require logging or scaling of any vehicle that is outside the scope of the "federal motor carrier safety regulations as prescribed by the U.S. Department of Transportation, 49 C.F.R. Part 107, Parts 171-180, Parts 382-384, and Parts 390-399" {Alabama Vehicle Code Section 32-9A-2}. That means vans don't have to log and scale in Alabama unless you are a Commercial Motor Vehicle in the eyes of the FMCSA.

Wyoming requires all deliveries into the state, whether you are a commercial vehicle or not, to stop at the scales. Trucks, vans, station wagons, cars, anyone delivering something into the state. If you are just passing through you do not have to stop. The first time I entered Wyoming, on the way to California, I stopped because the sign read like it meant I should. They said no, only if you are delivering into Wyoming. I have delivered into Wyoming 3 times, all 3 times I have stopped at the scales. All 3 times they checked out my paperwork, and all 3 times thanked me for stopping (they're very nice in Wyoming), and all 3 times they said with vans it's really just about raw food products and HAZMAT and that if I wasn't carrying something like that, I really didn't have to stop. But I'll continue to stop there if I'm delivering into the state.

No other states require vans to stop. Of course, in all states, if you are placarded, then you are a commercial vehicle, and commercial vehicles must stop at all scales. Florida and California have Agriculture Stops, and of course the Border Patrol stops in Texas and Arizona and California.

The Doppler Effect means red lights will appear to be green if you drive fast enough.

23. 11,298144,35932,7

jrcarroll,

I made it a point to stop at a weigh station in every state I entered at one point or another over the past 6 years.

The only states that requires a non-hazmat van to stop are Virginia (7400 gvwr or larger) and Arizona. There is a hefty fine if you do not stop in Arizona and get a permit.

As for Kentucky, they used to require all vehicles used commercially to stop but changed it a few years ago to over 10,000 lbs.

As for Michigan, there are some different interpretations to their statutes. I have spoken with Lt. Ford regarding this and he has assured me that cargo vans under 10,000 lbs are not required to stop. Lt. Ford is the DOT trainer in Michigan's Lansing headquarters. He even gave me his personal cell phone number if I ever get stopped for not entering scales.

Also, you must stop at the agriculture stations entering Florida.

25. 12,298235,35932,7

Tell Lt Ford that the MPS operations says otherwise. They say "we can stop people who have passed a weigh station in any commercial vehicle". The individual officer can make a descrinary call on everything but you can get one cop who has had a bad day and wants to be mean about it.

The change was intended to produce revenue but MSP CE seem not to care enough to follow their guidelines. It is the same why the state is not using prepass, they want to 'catch' truckers in the scales. Every day I pass through those scales south of Monroe and every day there are at least one truck pulled in for an inspection at the scale.

The law is messed up (like everything else here), many have asked the state to clarify it - meaning the state legislature but they refuse.

There are two areas where they define what is a commercial vehicle by weight, one section that states specifically what is to scale and one that says if you are driving on Michigan roads as a commercial vehicle while working as an interstate vehicle, you must have proper signage on that vehicle which includes the owners name (not just the company name).

27. 13,298316,35932,7

I would think a commercial vehicle officer could pull over any size vehicle...whether it has to scale or not...thats their job...

In Ontario they even pull over cars if they appear unsafe or polluting...Thats the Green and white cruisers...marked MTO or down here would be DOT....
    It is the job of the DOT to keep the highways safe for everyone.
    Drive less...Make more...$$$...

It's not how much you run,
    It's how much you run for... $$$

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.
    Thomas Jefferson

29. 14,298327,35932,7

Hey Turtle. Good to know about Alabama. I know that you used to have to cross with any vehicle engaged in commercial use.
    Drive Safe!

Jeff
    O/O 20 years
    OOIDA member
    http://jeffersonfastfreight.com

31. 15,298346,35932,7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast