ExpeditersOnline.com
Try Hours
Bolt Express
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Question For Panther And Tristate Cargo Van Drivers

I am still trying to figure out whether or not I should go to work for a fleet owner in a cargo van or a straight truck! How are you cargo van drivers and straight truck drivers "solo" doing out there right now? How many miles have you been getting per week since right before christmas? I'm sorry to pry, but I need to make the best possible decision that I can. Thanks.

2. Owner Operators - Vehicles of all sizes!
    Premium Transportation Logistics
    Explore the Premium opportunities available by leasing on to Premium Transportation Logistics LLC. We are a well established 10 year old Expedite and Truckload Carrier. PTL LLC offers our drivers above average pay, premium support services and premium freight. Our drivers appreciate fast settlements (no holdback week), our helpful dispatch team and that our doors are always open to drivers. Call one of our recruiters today at 1-800-661-3166 option 3 for additional detials. Feel free to make an appointment to visit us prior to signing on.

3. 1,283335,34787,7

Re: Question For Panther And Tristate Cargo Van Drivers

both Panther and Tristate not enough miles to survive....Try back in March or April.

5. 2,283338,34787,7

actually i am starving..wondering if i will survive this mess....save your money....it will dissapear a lot faster then it is coming in right now...

7. 3,283342,34787,7

Been gettin enough miles lately to just "pay the bills". Of course, living in florida doesn't help me mileage wise either, but it would prob not be much better if you were living in primary area. The only difference is you would be sitting in with a bunch of other trucks. All in all, Panther hasn't been a bad company to me if you are still looking to be a fleet owner.
    No longer over the road. Now an employee of Infocision in Austintown, OH.

9. 4,283344,34787,7

thats weird taint it? Turtle and some others are treading water and doing ok...not burning up the road but getting along...

Florida and South Dakota....good home bases!!!
    Drive less...Make more...$$$...

It's not how much you run,
    It's how much you run for... $$$

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.
    Thomas Jefferson

11. 5,283346,34787,7

I have said it before and I'll say it again, if freight is slow for O/O's of vans, how can anyone make money as a DRIVER FOR an Owner (i know we all have different situations)? Yes the driver doesn't have the same expenses as an O/O, but you still have them, and with O/O's just getting by in most cases, what makes anyone think they can make good money as a DRIVER in a VAN!?!?

If you feel the need to do this and can't buy a van and afford all that that entails, (and I understand , that is not a put down at all) then drive for a owner in a S/T, preferably as a team, but if it has to be solo, you need to do it in a S/T, not a van...

I could be wrong, i know there are people driving vans for Owners, but I don't see how you can make a good living (i know we all have different situations) even when freight is good, but now!?!?
    There are people in need of help. Charity is one of the nobler human motivations. The act of reaching into one's own pockets to help a fellow man in need is praiseworthy and laudable. Reaching into someone else's pocket is despicable and worthy of condemnation.
    --Walter E. Williams

"Idealism is fine, but as it approaches reality, the costs become prohibitive."

"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry."
    --William F. Buckley

"When dictatorship is a fact, revolution becomes a right."
    -- Victor Hugo

#252 Chevy Cargo Max

OOIDA Member, #934277

Part of the
    LOAD 1 CheerLeader Crew!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqD6uCWQDVc

13. 6,283349,34787,7

Dennis I am with ya on your thinking....I've crunched the numbers upside and back....its real bad for van drivers....

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.
    Thomas Jefferson

15. 7,283351,34787,7

i don't think there is much future as a solo driver really unless your really great and running your business solo is a dying breed

Richard M. (T.A.) Ingels
    E-1 truck 2277

The reason why so few good books are written is that so few people who can write know anything.
    - Walter Bagehot

REMEMBER: It takes a Viking to raze a village!

I'm from Wyoming .....IL ....... it's a town ..... 30 to 40 cornfields north of Peoria

17. 8,283352,34787,7

If I were not an O/O I would make more money sitting at home collecting unenjoyment. On second thought I could make more sitting at home then being an O/O.

However, something deep inside says you can't just live off the fruits of others.

You frigin' people... you have no idea how to defend a nation. All you did was weaken a country today, Obama. That's all you did. You put people's lives in danger. Sweet dreams, son.

19. 9,283355,34787,7

Quote Originally Posted by chefdennis View Post

If you feel the need to do this and can't buy a van and afford all that that entails, (and I understand , that is not a put down at all) then drive for a owner in a S/T, preferably as a team, but if it has to be solo, you need to do it in a S/T, not a van...
    I agree! Even when times were good I couldn't understand why someone would drive a van for an owner. Unless it was short term to get a feel for the industry.

"I guess that is why I enjoy expediting. Kinda like standing in front of a giant roulette wheel." davekc

"I wonder why I'm not quoted at the bottom of Moot's posts?"
    Highway Star

"Shane runs 70 PSI all around." scottm4211

"Embrace the mundane." mrgoodtude

"I think, therefore I van". Mouton Descrouton

21. 10,283360,34787,7

Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I agree! Even when times were good I couldn't understand why someone would drive a van for an owner. Unless it was short term to get a feel for the industry.

Ban the Van Fleet Owners!!!

Thomas Jefferson

23. 11,283372,34787,7

1500 loaded miles from Jan 1st in a cargo van with TriState and maybe more empty

25. 12,283578,34787,7

Quote Originally Posted by dodgeboy View Post
    I am still trying to figure out whether or not I should go to work for a fleet owner in a cargo van or a straight truck!
    As has been said previously, if you are considering driving for an owner in a cargo van ..... well, then ....... consider having your head examined as well, as you could very well be nuts. Just not enough money in that equation even in good times, at least from where I'm sittin'.

How are you cargo van drivers and straight truck drivers "solo" doing out there right now?
    With the slowdown in the economy, and the situation with the auto companies, and them recently being shutdown for extended periods you have had everyone in expedite chasing a smaller "pie" - this creates (downward) pressure on freight rates, at least for some - just the laws of supply and demand. I don't like it, but there's not alot I can really do about it.

I have certain fixed costs every month associated with this business (vehicle payment, insurance, QC, etc.) - whether I am running or not - and I need to generate revenue and profit in order to cover those expenses, otherwise I have negative cashflow - which has never been a solution to any of the problems I generally have.

How many miles have you been getting per week since right before christmas?
    I posted my numbers before in another thread (that thankfully, is now gone) and was accused of "boasting" - nevertheless, you asked, so I'll tell ya:

Dispatched miles by week:
    Week ending 1/11: 1848 loaded, 389 deadhead
    Week ending 1/18: 1180 loaded, 270 deadhead
    Week ending 1/25: 3045 loaded, 468 deadhead
    Week ending 2/1: 419 loaded, 179 deadhead
    Week ending 2/8: 2953 loaded, 269 deadhead

Total miles: 9445 loaded, 1575 deadhead
    Average loaded miles per week: 1889
    Deadhead as a percentage of loaded miles: 16.68%
    Deadhead as a percentage of total miles: 14.29%

The total loaded miles number is on par with the same period last year (slightly up), but revenue per mile is down a significant amount. No numbers for "just before Christmas" as I went out-of-service on 12/19 ... a week before the holiday.

Whether you can do even remotely similar to the above will depend on a whole host of factors - such as being in the right place at the right time ..... and probably most importantly: you

I'm sorry to pry, but I need to make the best possible decision that I can.
    Just a thought ..... you may wish to consider other carriers beyond the ones mentioned in the title of this thread ..... dunno .... could be that some are a little more hungry than others ....
    Last edited by RLENT; 02-08-2009 at 02:25 AM.

27. 13,283629,34787,7

whippin out my handy dandy calculator...lets see...if your real lucky right now and get...
    1000 miles a week x .77= $770 x40%= $308 a week....
    Can you live on that? Don't forget you have to eat and stay warm.
    Consider you were available 24/7 that is 168 hours of work....you earned $1.83 per hour....

Thomas Jefferson

29. 14,283631,34787,7

OVM.

Yeah ...... that calculator of yours do put the light on it .... like I said, anyone considering same should have their head examined - it's tough enough when you actually own the vehicle.

31. 15,283632,34787,7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast