ExpeditersOnline.com
Try Hours
Bolt Express
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PAPS

PAPS

One of my reliable informants just told me that a PAPS barcode will be a REQUIREMENT to bring freight into the USA from Canada as of Nov. 15th. I basically told him I didn't belive him, and he got really cross with me. Does anyone know of any truth to what I was told?
    -Weave-

2. YOU decide your loads, your schedule, your home time with Landstar
    Landstar Express America
    As a "Business Capacity Owner" or BCO with Landstar, you control your business the way YOU want. You select the freight. You set your schedule. You decide on home time. At Landstar, owner/operators are compensated based on a fixed percentage of the revenue generated from the freight they haul. As rates increase, so does your compensation. Landstar is hiring Owner/Operators... Apply now!

3. 1,206048,25315,11

RE: PAPS

I asked a US Customs officer and got the standard response, I don't know. Then asked my broker and they said yes you need Paps(my carrier has still not got me a firm answer). So that's all I can offer, but I would sure like a definite answer also.

5. 2,206049,25315,11

Thanks Tony. I checked with a few brokers and with US customs, and it is true. As of Nov 15th, no freight leaves Canada without a carrier provided PAPS barcode. This barcode must be faxed to the broker by the shipper, and freight will clear at the booth if the barcode is OK. Only if the barcode does not work at the border must you go in and see the broker. But yes, PAPS is now a requirement. My carrier has yet to provide the barcodes either.
    -Weave-

7. 3,206050,25315,11

We just had a driver pick up in Belleville, ON without the ability to use PAPS. He exited at Kingston, and went inside where they processed him and he was out pretty fast.

Since we pick up in that area often, I will probably never drive back to Windsor to cross considering the line was 5 hours long last night.
    Chet Merithew

OOIDA Lifetime Member #828583

Retired from trucking...FINALLY!!!!!

9. 4,206051,25315,11

>We just had a driver pick up in Belleville, ON without the
    >ability to use PAPS. He exited at Kingston, and went inside
    >where they processed him and he was out pretty fast.
    >
    >Since we pick up in that area often, I will probably never
    >drive back to Windsor to cross considering the line was 5
    >hours long last night.

Well, I would think that the crossing at Kingston (I'm guessing you're refering to the Thousand Islands Bridge)would always be quicker as less traffic goes that way.
    It sounds like US Customs just decided to "go" with PAPS whether or not anyone was ready.

11. 5,206052,25315,11

I always thought it would be more difficult to enter Canada as a US citizen carrying freight. Just an ego thing, I guess.

But, returning to my country (USA) is so much more difficult. I don't know what the deal is. Why do I have to pay the US a $5.00 custom fee? Why do they make is so hard? Are they just being jerks?
    Chet Merithew

13. 6,206053,25315,11

I got my info from brokers and customs at the Peace Bridge in Buffalo. It's no longer US customs, it's the Department of Homeland Security!! :D (They were quick to point out the name change to me.) I don't know how they could enforce the PAPS thing now if nobody was told about it, there has to be some sort of transition or ease in period. When I crossed in Detroit the week before last, there were no signs or ? in either the broker building or cus...DHS:)

The strictness is due to 9/11, but it's getting way too strict getting into the USA. Better have a birth cirtificate too. I was asked for it in Detroit for the first time with my prior cross and never before in 7 years.

-Weave-

15. 7,206054,25315,11

You're right about the warning. I didn't find out until a week before it went into effect at the Pre Processing Center in London, ON.

Regarding identity, I have a birth certificate, a Passport and my FAST Card. I can't imagine what more they might need.
    Chet Merithew

17. 8,206055,25315,11

Sorry guys but companies were informed about 3 months ago of the new PAPS requirements. Your carriers should have gotten a bulletin from Homeland security...DX was prepared with its customers as were most of the drivers.

Edit: on hindsight maybe DHS only notified Canadian carriers? Which wouldn't surprise me any..eh?
    Drive less...Make more...$$$...

It's not how much you run,
    It's how much you run for... $$$

“I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.”
    Thomas Jefferson

19. 9,206056,25315,11

[img src="http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Hello.gif"]

Don't forget your current vaccination records for any pets on board, we've been asked for those as well.

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I think I miss my mind the most!!

For Mark
    "La tristesse durera"
    “My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty's lamp guiding your steps and opportunity's arm steadying your way.” – Ronald Reagan

21. 10,206057,25315,11

You will also be able to clear freight using FAST. I think it's only the big three right now. BRASS barcodes can still be used in some cases if the driver has a FAST card and the info has been faxed ahead.

Livin' the dream
    D unit O/O

23. 11,206058,25315,11

Or... our company officials got the bulletin and didn't read it, no surprise there either:7
    -Weave-

25. 12,206059,25315,11

hi everybody allfreight going to the us. has to have a paps carrier bar code attached to the cargo manifest and the invoice.also the driver must have a fast card to use it and it should be faxed 2hrs. prior to arriving at the border.:( :(

27. 13,206061,25315,11

The FAST system is also in use and does not require a manifest or a customs invoice. You also can use PAPS right now without a FAST card, but you may be delayed because of it.

Livin' the dream
    D unit O/O

29. 14,206062,25315,11

On 30 Nov we entered the USofA at Port Huron with nothing more than a customs invoice and an inward manifest. I did not use PAPS. The US side broker did the usual magic to get us cleared.
    Terry and Rene'

Cargo Van Owner/Operators.
    FedEx Custom Critical 1989 - 2008

31. 15,206063,25315,11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast